Everything spot on today about Adam Idah, Ben Knapper and the club. I know it’s probably what just about every supporter thinks but he has put it out in his column for all to see.

• Like 1

Just read it and agreed with everything Sutton wrote. I think most Norwich fans would identify with : “The thought of Norwich getting promoted to the Premier League scares the life out of me.”

Just now, Vegueros said:

Just read it and agreed with everything Sutton wrote. I think most Norwich fans would identify with : “The thought of Norwich getting promoted to the Premier League scares the life out of me.”

Why does it? Luton are making a much better fist of staying up than our last two attempts and I don’t believe their squad last season is any better or worse than ours. Farke walked the league and had an appalling record in the top flight, whereas Alex Neil got us up through the playoffs and made a much better stab at staying up. 

I’ll never turn down promotion as we never know what will happen if we get it. 

• Like 3

Mostly seems fair enough (if somewhat repetitive re: Idah, but then I imagine he has to fill ‘x’ words).  Odd that it isn’t behind the paywall, as it usually is. 

The column is fine on Idah, though hardly earth-shattering. And Sutton should know better than to say "Idah...has played over a hundred times for Norwich" without acknowledging that the majority of those times were as a substitute. It's perfectly possible to make the case without stretching the truth.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vegueros said:

Doesn't for me. We need the dosh, and you never know. As has just been said, look at Luton.

It might well need a new manager and a few youngsters coming through, but the television and merit money (along with probably even more of those luvverly parachute payments) would open up a different world for Ben Knapper, who might not p-iss it against the wall for once.

I also believe it would incentivise Mark Annatasio (and his potential investor friends down under) into providing more funds.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The column is fine on Idah, though hardly earth-shattering. And Sutton should know better than to say "Idah...has played over a hundred times for Norwich" without acknowledging that the majority of those times were as a substitute. It's perfectly possible to make the case without stretching the truth.

True, but to balance that out you have to include the number of times he's been on the pitch but hasn't played.

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, Vegueros said:

This is why Wagner is still here,and why you're hearing nothing from Knapper concerning any  plan. This club do not want promotion. Knapper is toeing the Delia line. She's happy were we are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mannings bandy legs said:

This is why Wagner is still here,and why you're hearing nothing from Knapper concerning any  plan. This club do not want promotion. Knapper is toeing the Delia line. She's happy were we are.

We sure have been promoted a lot in recent years for a club that "doesn't want promotion". Most unfortunate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We sure have been promoted a lot in recent years for a club that "doesn't want promotion". Most unfortunate.

Yes, but it seems that the mood has changed among supporters from being optimistic about promotion to being frightened by it.

S-d Talksport, MotD and all the rest, we'll yo-yo like only we know how ... and you never know.

Interesting that even the Binners are hoping for it, whilst I now think we'll beat them in the return game. We have match winning individuals, whilst they are a well drilled unit beginning to be found out or a machine which is beginning to falter given the inevitable loss of a cog or two. Takes yer pick.

Edited by BroadstairsR

51 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Mostly seems fair enough (if somewhat repetitive re: Idah, but then I imagine he has to fill ‘x’ words).  Odd that it isn’t behind the paywall, as it usually is. 

It is for me!

54 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Why does it? Luton are making a much better fist of staying up than our last two attempts and I don’t believe their squad last season is any better or worse than ours. Farke walked the league and had an appalling record in the top flight, whereas Alex Neil got us up through the playoffs and made a much better stab at staying up. 

I’ll never turn down promotion as we never know what will happen if we get it. 

lets fact check that one for a second Luton have 3 more points that we had at the same time so the win last night  if they lost they would have been doing exactly the same as we did in 2022

If you wanted a column that simply stated what most on the forum have posted then yeah, sure it's great if you need that reassurance.

Beyond that it fails to take into account a lot of things. This scared of being promoted boll*cks is just that, boll*cks. We failed miserably twice under Farke / Smith but that's because a side was built to play Farke style football which we're seeing with Burnley doesn't work with limited budgets. Luton's style can work with limited budgets.

The 100 appearances for Idah is misleading, just look at his actual minutes on the pitch. 

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes, but it seems that the mood has changed among supporters from being optimistic about promotion to being frightened by it.

Oh, agree about that entirely. Just calling out the nonsense that Delia 'doesn't want promotion'.

Actually, thinking about it, if anyone doesn't want promotion at this point, it's probably Attanasio. Those remaining shares would be much less affordable if we were in the top flight...

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Had another thought, didn't I?

49 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Oh, agree about that entirely. Just calling out the nonsense that Delia 'doesn't want promotion'.

Actually, thinking about it, if anyone doesn't want promotion at this point, it's probably Attanasio. Those remaining shares would be much less affordable if we were in the top flight...

Which would make his own shares more valuable?

You know, I am still at the stage of being softer on Annatasio's motives and actually believe he is in the game as a supporter as much as an investor.

This might well be extremely naive, and he wouldn't have touched us with a barge pool if he had thought his money was heading down the drain or that there was no potential in the club for sure.

However, there is something about an English football club (lost causes by reputation) that seems to excite many successful American businessmen. It has been explained on here in a more serious tone and one related more to economics, but it seems that it has also become a feather in the cap of many.

Owning (part) of a PL club is the icing on the cake  ... and, of course, provides the opportunity for a lucrative sale, a fact that cannot be denied.

We are discussing motives here, and even Delia's motives for owning NCFC have often been argued about on this forum.

Perhaps if I/We had multi-millions then we would grasp the matter with better understanding. However, there seem to be more big business behind the game now than Jack Walkers or Delia Smiths.

The answer lies in the soil?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

It is for me!

Odd - I read it on the bus in this morning, maybe someone forgot to click a button!

It was largely “it has been disappointing Idah hasn’t pushed on, he’s had plenty of opportunities but not managed to take them, has all the attributes but perhaps the best thing is for him to try elsewhere; shame it hasn’t worked for him:us”

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Which would make his own shares more valuable?

You know, I am still at the stage of being softer on Annatasio's motives and actually believe he is in the game as a supporter as much as an investor.

This might well be extremely naive, and he wouldn't have touched us with a barge pool if he had thought his money was heading down the drain or that there was no potential in the club for sure.

However, there is something about an English football club (lost causes by reputation) that seems to excite many successful American businessmen. It has been explained on here in a more serious tone and one related more to economics, but it seems that it has also become a feather in the cap of many.

Owning (part) of a PL club is the icing on the cake  ... and, of course, provides the opportunity for a lucrative sale, a fact that cannot be denied.

We are discussing motives here, and even Delia's motives for owning NCFC have often been argued about on this forum.

Perhaps if I/We had multi-millions then we would grasp the matter with better understanding. However, there seem to be more big business behind the game now than Jack Walkers or Delia Smiths.

The answer lies in the soil?

Yeah, maybe. I was just being mischievous, really. My instinct about Attanasio is that he seems a good guy. Either that or he's really good at appearing a good guy. Either way, we need him, or someone like him, if we're going to compete with all the other clubs run by people like him. Can't say I'm thrilled about it, but it is how it is.

Perhaps this sums up Norwich City. You can field the current lineup mainly consisting of Premier League players who until quite recently were on our books:

Krul

Aarons        Omodamidele         Godfrey         Toffolo

Buendia               Maddison

Murphy      Dowell     Morris    Cantwell

Where has it all gone wrong.

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Football clubs are cheap Arsenal are valued at £1.86b the MIlwaukee brewers sit around the the £1.60b mark 

the price to buy into american sports is high Inter Miami  cost $500m to enter MLS 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The paywall seems to have disappeared despite Paddy's claim that nothing has altered.

Most of the stuff's pretty lazy but if it's free.......

I'm afraid Sutton lost me in this article. What a self seeking **** he is turning out to be. He's been rubbing shoulders with Robbie Savage for far too long.

Asking for Knapper to speak to the press during a transfer window, as a former professional player, he knows is totally counter-productive in everything Knapper is trying to achieve. If at the end of the window it looks as if things went poorly, then he explains what went wrong. But to do so now will probably cost supporters want they actually crave at the moment, an inward transfer as his focus comes off his main role.

Knapper is at this moment dealing with Idah, Rowe, van Hoojdink, Mikey "wassisname", Dimi and probably countless other propsective transfer moves including several inward ones. He has probably been working on these and more without much movement for most of December and January. Let him get on with his job. His job is not reveal all Norwich's cards, that way only financial loss accrues. 

What we need from the club is some independent authoritative person to speak on behalf of the board and executive during this period, but they seem to be resting on the complete mind**** that was the AGM whilst waiting for the EFL to decide if we can welcome Attanasio with open arms. 

I agree that relying on Wagner to convey the message is not working because the majority of the fans really don't care what he has to say. But Knapper wouldn't want to tell is in minute detail what most on here seem to want; that is just not going to happen. 

Sutton should review his "populist" stance and regain his former strong analytical view, Knapper should be allowed to finish his job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not with this squad of players.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This x 1000. As soon as someone quotes the stat of Adam’s number of games rather than actual minutes on the pitch I just write them off as either dim or a hater. 

Yep, I can imagine that genuine supporters will baulk at winning another Wembley play off. You only have to look at the lack of interest in the Liverpool cup game. Knowing we faced an absolute humiliation. the club was forced to give away tickets and pay supporters to travel.

And I expect that should we start winning and find ourselves the top six the crowds will simply melt away, many hiding behind Ricardos sofa, petrified that we might be in the semi finals. The queues of fans wanting to hand back their season tickets would stretch back over Carrow bridge. Ask Sheff Utd fans whether they would want another season in the PL or be back in the Championship

I suspect that in reality supporters are the same as me on this. They want to see our club win as many games as possible and to enjoy where that takes them, and to hell with the spineless whiners. Did Luton, the club or its fans take the same embarrassing stance as Sutton. No, up and a 'em. As did Maidstone. Fix the ground and then do your best. was their thought.

Sutton of the Antarctic ....."ooh, not going there it might be cold." Sutton climbing Mount Everest, ........"oooh, I might fall off"  Sutton in F1...."ooh I might get a speeding ticket."

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Bill's in full-on mode....

What shred of evidence is there to prove NCFC gave away tickets ( other than the normal comps ) and paid supporters to travel up there ?

Whoosh!

2 hours ago, vos said:

Perhaps this sums up Norwich City. You can field the current lineup mainly consisting of Premier League players who until quite recently were on our books:

Krul

Krul - second choice keeper at Luton and still making some horrendous gaffs

Big Andy - only just started playing for Forest

Godfrey - rarely in the Everton team

Dowell and Cantwell - playing in the Premier League North reserve league.

There is half your team gone.

Toffolo, Murphy and Morris are the surprises but none are regular starters in their teams.

The reality is we had the right manager to get us promoted who turned out to be the wrong manager when in the EPL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vos said:

Krul

You really have to ask? It started going wrong for us and clubs like us the moment the Premier League started. 

• Like 3