Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Hughton sacked

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Who'd have thought employing a manager like that for tournament football wouldnt have worked ?!

You'd have though that Jose Mourinho would be perfect for International football now.

Still remarkable that Spurs sacked him a few days before a cup final.

Nice guy, but probably the least I've ever enjoyed being a Norwich fan when he was in charge. I pray we never, ever get a manager like him ever again. The football was beyond awful. Those who criticise Wagner need to remember what it was like when he was at the helm.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nice guy, but probably the least I've ever enjoyed being a Norwich fan when he was in charge. I pray we never, ever get a manager like him ever again. The football was beyond awful. Those who criticise Wagner need to remember what it was like when he was at the helm.

...we did...Dean Smith

Completely knocked any of the good work Farke had instilled into our players out of them within 3 or 4 months

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...we did...Dean Smith

Completely knocked any of the good work Farke had instilled into our players out of them within 3 or 4 months

I'd say Dean and Hughton are not far off each other really. I think it sucked so badly witnessing both after they each replaced very attacking managers and managed to successfully suck the soul out of everything. 

I once sold Chris Houghton a newspaper and that itself was far more exciting than any football he put on show!

Say what you like about Hughton, but he is our 3rd most successful Premier League manager of all time (by win % or pts/game). It wasn’t always pretty, but it was effective.

11 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Say what you like about Hughton, but he is our 3rd most successful Premier League manager of all time (by win % or pts/game). It wasn’t always pretty, but it was effective.

"it wasn't always pretty" ???? - did you ever see a game when Hughton was manager ?  The only time it was "pretty" I can remember was when the players decided to ignore him.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...we did...Dean Smith

Dean Smith was bad but he didn't suck the joy out of football to the same degree as Hughton IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

Hughton's first season wasnt the problem, it was his second having spent £30m (which was a lot 10 yrs ago!)

• Like 1

I guess he's just Ghana go, or just got Togo. I wouldn't Gambia on where he's going to land up next 😉

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I guess he's just Ghana go, or just got Togo. I wouldn't Gambia on where he's going to land up next 😉

The words “don’t give up” and “your day job” come to mind… :  D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

"it wasn't always pretty" ???? - did you ever see a game when Hughton was manager ?  The only time it was "pretty" I can remember was when the players decided to ignore him.

I did indeed. Check my join date 🙂

It was rarely pretty but it beats losing every week. For context, we won 25% of the time under Hughton in the PL. Under Farke it was 12%. 

5 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Dean Smith was bad but he didn't suck the joy out of football to the same degree as Hughton IMO.

Yeah, this. I remember we went on a 10-match unbeaten run under him, including a 1-0 win at home to Arsenal, and it was great for a while that people really didn't want to come to Carrow Road and we were properly difficult to beat in the PL. But it just got worse and worse, more and more defensive... the same way it went for him at Brighton, at Newcastle, at Birmingham, at Forest... he was capable of galvanising a team in the short term and getting them united behind a cause, but has never had any desire to deviate from that one-dimensional tactical approach.

Towards the end of his tenure was utterly joyless, I agree. Under the likes of Hamilton, Grant and Roeder, we were just sh*t. And we all knew we were sh*t, and the players were sh*t. But Hughton spent £14m (a gargantuan amount of money by our standards) on two strikers who he wouldn't play together, and sat everyone back behind the ball to try to bore the opposition into submission.

One of the nicest guys in football, yadda yadda... but oh my word, the tedium.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Bunny said:

I appreciate that, and I can understand owners wanting to go that route when paying money for results. However, I watch football because I like it, I want to be entertained. Hughton football was the least entertaining I have witnessed.

Sucked the joy out of football said above is bang on. Horrible, just horrible to watch.

13 hours ago, Making Plans said:

This is an absolute disgrace. He is such a nice man. I think it is absolutely shameful of <replace with name of football club>

Feel free to re-use the above text next time it happens. Simply fill in the appropriate team name. You’re welcome!

18 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Say it isn't so, Houghton out? 😭🤣

Apples

I thought his name was Hoghton?

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2024 at 11:57, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...we did...Dean Smith

Yup with Nice guy Chris, I could see what he was trying to do. It was boring, I didnt like it but I understood. 

With Dean Smtih god only knows from start to finish. Worst appointment of the modern era.

• Like 1