Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

McCallum and Giannoulis contracts

Am I right in thinking that both of our left backs are out of contract at the end of the season, with no options to pop a year on?

Even Wagners new project in trying to turn Placheta into a left back is flawed because he's out of contract in the summer too!

If so, that's a real shame and probably one of a couple of areas where we are sufficiently resourced with players that are good enough.

Would be a real shame to lose them both. If I had to choose one to keep it would be Giannoulis, but should imagine he's on a lot more money than McCallum and will have more interest from big clubs on the continent, whereas McCallum would likely be looking at sideways moves, so should imagine we'd have a greater chance of keeping McCallum?

I'd keep them both if we could afford it and they were both happy to stay.

I think they're all pretty dross options in all reality. People think Gianni is quite a good player, but he is mostly too soft and misses too many defensive battles in my eyes. He has shown on his day he is a good player with some attacking intent, but shows too many inconsistencies for me. It would probably make sense to offer him a new contract which I would be surprised if he signed, as I assume he thinks he is bigger than us. Sam M has showed promise in some games this season, but I am not overly convinced by him either. PP is just well below par and Is suspect he will be shipped out this month, most likely back to Poland.

• Like 1

McCallum is average and Gini is a wing back. I'd keep Gini if we want a bench wing back.

25 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

McCallum is average and Gini is a wing back. I'd keep Gini if we want a bench wing back.

I doubt we will want to keep such a high earner in Dimi on the bench. Probably too much of a luxury given our financial position. I am awaiting Knappers exciting January transfer window to kick off..

53 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I think they're all pretty dross options in all reality. People think Gianni is quite a good player, but he is mostly too soft and misses too many defensive battles in my eyes. He has shown on his day he is a good player with some attacking intent, but shows too many inconsistencies for me. It would probably make sense to offer him a new contract which I would be surprised if he signed, as I assume he thinks he is bigger than us. Sam M has showed promise in some games this season, but I am not overly convinced by him either. PP is just well below par and Is suspect he will be shipped out this month, most likely back to Poland.

You know this how?

I'm one of the few who think that McCallum is a decent player. Admittedly his decision making can be poor and he lacks a bit of game awareness. But he is a strong and powerful player who is decent at getting forward. 

Given his age, I'd rather he was offered a new contract and we use the rest of this season to bed him into the team and see how he develops before we decide how much we need to invest in another left back (ie is it one to act as back up to McCallum or as a new starter).

Either way we should be sorting one of their contracts now and play them consistently rather than the constant indecision Wagner seems to be showing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You know this how?

Because im sleeping with him

• Haha 3

Dimi has regularly been hooked at HT since he arrived; TBH I’m actually surprised he’s still here. 

• Like 1

I don’t see Dimi being kept, we need a complete refresh so a player really needs to have been a nailed on starter or have potential to be kept if expiring.

McCallum is basically playing for a contract, there was a player with a lot of potential there once, he’s got the chance to show it which I think makes sense from Knappers perspective.

8 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I'm one of the few who think that McCallum is a decent player. Admittedly his decision making can be poor and he lacks a bit of game awareness. But he is a strong and powerful player who is decent at getting forward. 

Given his age, I'd rather he was offered a new contract and we use the rest of this season to bed him into the team and see how he develops before we decide how much we need to invest in another left back (ie is it one to act as back up to McCallum or as a new starter).

Either way we should be sorting one of their contracts now and play them consistently rather than the constant indecision Wagner seems to be showing.

He has shown glimpses but nothing more. We do need a more consistent left back than the two options we have at present, in my view.

• Like 1

McCallum doesn't know how to defend.

Placheta doesn't know how to play football.

Dimi is good some days. Other times, not so much. But still levels above the other two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It says a lot about both players that neither are an automatic choice at left back. I would back McCallum over Dimi just due to age and wage profile. Dimi has been 3 years and hasn’t changed a lot going forward he is good but is suspect defensively and seems to carry niggles. 

McCallum needs a run of games but whilst he's not as good a crosser as Dimi, he does have a decent long throw in his locker and he looks more dangerous in the air. Neither he nor Giannoulis are the best on the back foot. There's a bit of the Idah about McCallum - a slight hint of being lackadaisical but a pretty commanding sort when he's really on top of things.

In terms of current ability Giannoulis edges it, but agree with those that think McCallum might have a bit more potential.

14 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Dimi is streets in front of McCallum. Its not even close IMHO.

Yeah, but he still not worth keeping. Rather young hungry players.

5 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

You always did like the young ones Rolf

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Fair point, although recruitment is key.

Dimi is aligned to the way Wagner wants to play - high full backs, but his defending is not the best.
I don't think McCallum is trusted by Wagner, and Placheta is a square peg in a round hole at full back.  

The situation is symptomatic of where the club finds itself, not quite the quality required, but struggling to afford better.  

Tin hat on but Sam is the one to keep. Sure, he is a little slow to recover after his marauding forward, but think he needs a run of games to understand that is an important part of his game. Longer term I think he could be the solution to our LCB problem. He's tall, good in the air and when he puts his mind to it can do the physical stuff. I think he is better at defending when the play is in front of him. 

So, that would still leave the LB position vacant if Dimi "wants" to stay, both might yet be here next season. As for Pepe, I think he has missed his chance, he will be back in Poland next season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Tin hat on but Sam is the one to keep. Sure, he is a little slow to recover after his marauding forward, but think he needs a run of games to understand that is an important part of his game. Longer term I think he could be the solution to our LCB problem. He's tall, good in the air and when he puts his mind to it can do the physical stuff. I think he is better at defending when the play is in front of him. 

So, that would still leave the LB position vacant if Dimi "wants" to stay, both might yet be here next season. As for Pepe, I think he has missed his chance, he will be back in Poland next season.

Agree, McCallum's big weakness is positional, but that's the part of the game that should develop quickest with regular first-team action.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Can't imagine we will keep Dimi. He'll want more money than we'll be prepared to pay. Surprised by the number of people relaxed about him going, though: it'll be another stage in the de-skilling of the squad. Hopefully McCallum will step into the breach but at the moment there's miles between them as players.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Can't imagine we will keep Dimi. He'll want more money than we'll be prepared to play. Surprised by the number of people relaxed about him going, though: it'll be another stage in the de-skilling of the squad. Hopefully McCallum will step into the breach but at the moment there's miles between them as players.

Plus looking at the bigger picture we will fail to make much money on him if we do sell, due to his contract situation which in itself is just more poor planning from the management, if that is indeed our intention to sell him.