KiwiScot

Official 2024 Lappinitup Match Thread-Norwich v Southampton

1 minute ago, Indy said:

My biggest issue! Sargent back, Idah, Sainz & Rowe are all look better, McCullum has been excellent again today! The young players are definitely talented and need to play together to develop that relationship! Nunez & Sara starting to look so kind and we really don’t need to play with three CB!

McCallum doesn't follow the runner for the goal. Sainz passes him over and McCallum switches off and goes to the ball. Dimi can't come back quickly enough for me. Sarge back is like buying a £15m striker.

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I do wonder how different things would have been if Sarge had been fit all season.

@Parma Ham's gone mouldyloves his weapons and, at this level at least, Sarge is definitely one.

I don’t like Wagner’s system, but with Sarge in it you get a hell of a lot more out of it.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Point against the most inform team in the divison? Thought we were gonna get battered?

We did for 75 minutes! Then we looked more likely to win!

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

McCallum doesn't follow the runner for the goal. Sainz passes him over and McCallum switches off and goes to the ball. Dimi can't come back quickly enough for me. Sarge back is like buying a £15m striker.

He offers so much more going forward than Dimi. He’s a far better fit in my opinion than dimi,, but it’s all opinions my friend.

• Like 1

That will do, Leeds win 3-0 and binners draw at 10 man Stoke so decent day all round.

Just now, Indy said:

He offers so much more going forward than Dimi. He’s a far better fit in my opinion than dimi,, but it’s all opinions my friend.

Indeed it is... 

23 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

McLean has done so little that its been like playing with 10 men.

I’m no expert so feel free to point out why I’m wrong, but in a back three, especially with two CBs who have done that role their whole career, it doesn’t seem unreasonable for Kenny to have a relatively quiet game. As soon as we brought a second striker on, his role changed and he was repeatedly influential. 

But it’s Kenny, so BOOOO!!!! ☹️

• Like 1

A well earnt point against a very good side.We were very well organised and disciplined when playing 5-4-1 but when we reverted to 4-4-2 it was a bit more squeaky bum time.All in all an entertaining game but not one I would want repeated week after week.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Point against the most inform team in the divison? Thought we were gonna get battered?

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

We did for 75 minutes! Then we looked more likely to win!

As was said many, many times during Farke’s tenure, possession for possession’s sake doesn’t win you anything. We weren’t “battered”, Southampton had a lot more of the ball, and more chances, but very few decent ones.

• Like 1

Brilliant that Josh came back and scored. He’s a fans cult hero in the making, and can help galvanise the club again. 

Wagner is drinking at last chance saloon now. No excuses now Sarge is back.. he needs to revert back to the side that was playing so well in Aug and Sept, with the addition of Sainz and Hanley.

A result despite our coach’s  poor tactics rather than because of them. 

Imagine what we could do if set up correctly, 

Remember when we were the big boy club in this league that other teams would put 11 behind the ball for?

A real marker of how far we’ve fallen, how the standards have fallen.

Sargents great, Rowe’s great. That football at home was absolutely mad. I bet the 80% loved it and will be on their knees for Wagner.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Give the man a little credit.Who do you think set us up as a 5-4-1 defensive unit that they actually implemented quite well

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

Give the man a little credit.Who do you think set us up as a 5-4-1 defensive unit that they actually implemented quite well

Indeed when we went behind he made the changes quickly and set up far more attacking, it worked! We question Wagner when it’s deserved and today though I didn’t agree with the way we set up to start with we didn’t lose! Job done!☑️ 

So if we have no intention of beating a team in the playoff positions whilst playing at home, it confirms that we have no intention to get into the playoffs. Why should we expect other clubs to ‘have a go’?

High time the hierarchy at this Club came out and admit the true height of our ambition this season.

It is also high time that the big flags were handed to fans as they enter the ground to be waved vigorously throughout the stadium……

……just  ensure the flags are all white…..

Must be a fair few disappointed ‘fans’ in here tonight as they seemed to be certain we would lose 4-0 or more. 

Sarge is as good as any striker in this division. 

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

Must be a fair few disappointed ‘fans’ in here tonight as they seemed to be certain we would lose 4-0 or more. 

Sarge is as good as any striker in this division. 

Agreed.. I just hope he’s here next season for a proper promotion push.

10 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

We didn’t need to play 5-4-1 it was negative and unecessary. We should be playing the extra man in midfield not defence 

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed when we went behind he made the changes quickly and set up far more attacking, it worked! We question Wagner when it’s deserved and today though I didn’t agree with the way we set up to start with we didn’t lose! Job done!☑️ 

All it did was show we were not set up right in the first place 

• Like 2

Just now, Jim Smith said:

All it did was show we were not set up right in the first place 

We also got worse again after his next sub and were lucky they didn’t score at the end. 

I have no problem with 5-4-1 if it can transition into something else. In defense against a good team, ok. If you attack though, the midfield needs to hold the ball up and not get brushed off like Sainz and Rowe do so easily. They lose the ball in dangerous positions and if few are behind the ball you get problems. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We also got worse again after his next sub and were lucky they didn’t score at the end. 

You need to ask yourself how to set up with the squad he’s got against a rampant Southampton! He did keep it to 0-0 for a long period of time, when they broke through he changed it! Had we started with that system who’s to know what the score might have been at half time? I criticise when I see it and as I said didn’t agree with the starting set up but that’s my opinion! It worked as we gained a point.

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Goal came from his side, again though.

Yes but we should have had cover as we were playing 5 at the back! So McLean should have covers that side too! Yes I agree his defensive ability needs more focus but going towards we look far more a threat with McCullum! 

36 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think I have to agree with you Jim. Who would be the right coach though?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but we should have had cover as we were playing 5 at the back! So McLean should have covers that side too! Yes I agree his defensive ability needs more focus but going towards we look far more a threat with McCullum! 

I personally prefer Dimi, and think he’s been one of our better players this season. But McCallum has potential, and possibly a higher ceiling. To find out, he needs games. So I’m not against seeing him played infront of Dimi for a period to see.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

It was bad communication between Sainz and McCullum.Sainz indicated to McC to follow the extra player but they both went to the ball.It was Sainz responsibility to cover McC as he had been doing most of the match not McLean