Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

While we may have been rather toothless up top

Preston were still still time-wasting with 5 minutes left. They could've knicked it at the end but couldn't be bothered. At least we tried. We were **** but we tried  

16 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Preston were still still time-wasting with 5 minutes left. They could've knicked it at the end but couldn't be bothered. At least we tried. We were **** but we tried  

You forgetting the time they hit the bar? Really should have been in. If anything I would argue that when they did attack they looked much more likely to score than us

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You forgetting the time they hit the bar? Really should have been in. If anything I would argue that when they did attack they looked much more likely to score than us

No, they didn't.

You really do show yourself up as someone who's never been to a football match at times.

• Haha 2

They obviously came to defend and the result shows they were better at it than we were at attacking.

But my take on it was that we attacked with one eye on not getting caught by a quick break.

In the latter stages, when we were throwing the kitchen sink at them, was when they looked the most dangerous.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, they didn't.

You really do show yourself up as someone who's never been to a football match at times.

So you're saying they didnt have good chances to score? I'm pretty sure they did hit the bar.

Of course Hernandez should have scored and so should Gibbs but that was about it. I'm not blind you silly plum

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, they didn't.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

………… I'm not blind you silly plum

Compared to some of the things hogesar gets called on here I’d rate that as a compliment.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They had two good chances, one hit the bar, one Duffy smothered somehow (he was back to best yesterday I thought).

Both came from the ball just falling kindly to players open in the box, hardly amazing attacking play.

No mention of our defending then?

We have clearly decided to (correctly) focus on having a coherent underlying defensive structure when out of possession. The brainless pressing has been binned with our wide players in particular starting far deeper. We were happy to allow Preston the ball in their half and were far more compact than usual.

It worked. Mostly. We only had one moment that I recall where we were left exposed on our right with both winger and fullback ahead of the ball. Otherwise Preston had one decent chance from a free kick and hit the bar following Gun's error.

Ok, we failed to score, but we had a number of good chances and really should have taken one of them. Aside from having recruited so badly that we're relying on Hernandez and Gibbs to take those chances when it's pretty apparent that they simply aren't good enough for this level, we did a decent enough job yesterday. 

Things on the pitch are far better than they were six weeks ago. People need to appreciate the improvement rather then getting hung up on the result. Stopping the rot was the all-important first step. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

City having similar problems today with all their talent. If a team defends deep and is organised & disciplined its incredibly difficult. 

Especially when confidence isn't at its absolute highest. Have to hope that clean sheets and 10 points from 15 is helping that..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Especially when confidence isn't at its absolute highest. Have to hope that clean sheets and 10 points from 15 is helping that..

Yep. The longer they go without a series of losses, the better the performances will get. Things are looking up, only slightly, but that's miles better than it was six weeks ago. We should look for the positives, it's easy to always look for the negatives.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can we at least give Preston some credit for just how well they defended against us?

God knows I wish we could defend that well at times..

Bit of a funny one this given we also made a clean sheet lol 

You do make me laugh sometimes cc 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Bit of a funny one this given we also made a clean sheet lol 

You do make me laugh sometimes cc 

Well, they should have scored. Don't think we put in the best defensive display but it was ok. Better than it had been.

50 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, they should have scored. Don't think we put in the best defensive display but it was ok. Better than it had been.

If they should’ve scored we should’ve got at least 2 

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Yep. The longer they go without a series of losses, the better the performances will get. Things are looking up, only slightly, but that's miles better than it was six weeks ago. We should look for the positives, it's easy to always look for the negatives.

Yeah, I dont see the point in anything else. It's like people on here want us to be rubbish so we can slate Wagner some more.

Hes shown enough to suggest he isn't the long term solution (although it's football and weirder things has happened) and all we can do is take each performance on its own merit. 

We've stopped averaging over 2 goals conceded per game for starters, which is guaranteed relegation most seasons. That was important. We arent quite clicking up top but a fully fit Rowe and Sargent could make a massive difference to that.

• Like 1

It's laughable people talk about how creditable it is to keep a clean sheet when the opposition clearly have no attacking intent. Preston weren't remotely interested in doing anything attack wise. Even then they had two or three chances to score, probably should have scored, almost without trying.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It's laughable people talk about how creditable it is to keep a clean sheet when the opposition clearly have no attacking intent. Preston weren't remotely interested in doing anything attack wise. Even then they had two or three chances to score, probably should have scored, almost without trying.

If they got the bar and almost scored a couple of times without trying what does that tell you? Have a little thinky dink.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think that's true. They were fast turning the ball over on the counter when they had the opportunity. That was their game plan .Yes, their emphasis was on not losing, but there was clearly an eye on winning as well .

38 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't think that's true. They were fast turning the ball over on the counter when they had the opportunity. That was their game plan .Yes, their emphasis was on not losing, but there was clearly an eye on winning as well .

But don't you see, they had a plan and we didn't have a scoobie

Edited by Making Plans

7 hours ago, Petriix said:

No mention of our defending then?

We have clearly decided to (correctly) focus on having a coherent underlying defensive structure when out of possession. The brainless pressing has been binned with our wide players in particular starting far deeper. We were happy to allow Preston the ball in their half and were far more compact than usual.

It worked. Mostly. We only had one moment that I recall where we were left exposed on our right with both winger and fullback ahead of the ball. Otherwise Preston had one decent chance from a free kick and hit the bar following Gun's error.

Ok, we failed to score, but we had a number of good chances and really should have taken one of them. Aside from having recruited so badly that we're relying on Hernandez and Gibbs to take those chances when it's pretty apparent that they simply aren't good enough for this level, we did a decent enough job yesterday. 

Things on the pitch are far better than they were six weeks ago. People need to appreciate the improvement rather then getting hung up on the result. Stopping the rot was the all-important first step. 

Someone said it reminded them of Farkes first season and I get that. Knappers influence perhaps? We definitely seemed to have changed how we play off the ball.

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can we at least give Preston some credit for just how well they defended against us?

God knows I wish we could defend that well at times..

Really,  Poor crosses by us, & Gibbs missing the target from 12 yards!