Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Fassnacht

32 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

What is the point ? What does he do ?

He thrills us with his electric pace.

Just another passenger we bought because the computer said yes.

we’ve got a team devoid of personality and that’s a real worry.

It wasn’t a million years ago there were distinct heroes within the team. People would have their favourites, there would be people with all different names on the backs of their shirts because they liked that individual player. Now we’ve got Johnny Rowe, poor b4stard, which a kid might get his name. Maybe Sara? Then who? Anyone seen a Borja Sainz printed shirt? 

It’s not exactly Elliot Bennet and Anthony Pilkington is it? It’s a slate of strangers to us and to themselves.

Edited by The Real Buh

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just like Sara and Rowe last night hes being shafted by not being played in his best position

What's his best position then in your opinion? 

You forget hes on the pitch and is one of the contributors to the team being poor in the final 3rd and a midfield that doesn't offer the defence enough protection!

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Just another passenger we bought because the computer said yes.

we’ve got a team devoid of personality and that’s a real worry.

It wasn’t a million years ago there were distinct heroes within the team. People would have their favourites, there would be people with all different names on the backs of their shirts because they liked that individual player. Now we’ve got Johnny Rowe, poor b4stard, which a kid might get his name. Maybe Sara? Then who? Anyone seen a Borja Sainz printed shirt? 

It’s not exactly Elliot Bennet and Anthony Pilkington is it? It’s a slate of strangers to us and to themselves.

Very good post. The persistence with Fassbender and Argos is one of the most annoying and baffling team selections by any NCFC manager in my many decades watching them. Fassbender kept ambling aimlessly into midfield when he should have been working the right flank with Stacey like they did very early in the season. Whilst Argos produced a slightly less woeful performance than last home match, that was an incredibly low bar to clamber over. He is clearly a very poor footballer. Even the faithful have stopped singing the 'goes down the wing' song as they realise the unpalatable truth about him. The prospect of both these gentlemen starting against Ipswich is truly worrying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Needs to play centrally, number 10 or off the striker. Wide left or right in a 3 doesn’t work, he’s too slow. Similar in that respect to Steiperman.

The player he reminds me of is Mattias Jonson, whose best position was a kind of secondary striker, or wing-striker. And he got 57 caps for Sweden when Sweden were good. But Worthington played him as a workhorse wide right-sided midfielder, which didn't suit his strengths. Fassnacht seems similar.

• Like 1

In fairness to him he has been a goal threat at times, I think as is the case for years, he's a central/10 player that we play out widely.  Even Wessi wasn't great when played out wide.

But that's the main issue. We don't play players in their best position. Gibbs up front? Nunez or Sara often the deeper midfield, at times Nunez was the deepest defender with the centre backs wide on the half way line.

And Barnes..he's a passenger. I'm not sure we have ever played the ball to him to hold up with his strength and lay off to oon rushing attackers. We cross in hope not aiming for him. He doesn't even press tge GK or defenders now.

We need a vision and philosophy. A coach to deliver that philosophy and players to fit within that set up 

31 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Very good post. The persistence with Fassbender and Argos is one of the most annoying and baffling team selections by any NCFC manager in my many decades watching them. Fassbender kept ambling aimlessly into midfield when he should have been working the right flank with Stacey like they did very early in the season. Whilst Argos produced a slightly less woeful performance than last home match, that was an incredibly low bar to clamber over. He is clearly a very poor footballer. Even the faithful have stopped singing the 'goes down the wing' song as they realise the unpalatable truth about him. The prospect of both these gentlemen starting against Ipswich is truly worrying.

Excellent post

its always been about standards. Our standards are rock bottom and the fact some are so willing to lower there’s is disturbing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Needs to play centrally, number 10 or off the striker. Wide left or right in a 3 doesn’t work, he’s too slow. Similar in that respect to Steiperman.

Keep saying the same about Sara. Really beind wasted playing behind our midfielders when we all know how great he is with assists and scoring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Keep saying the same about Sara. Really beind wasted playing behind our midfielders when we all know how great he is with assists and scoring.

Utterly utterly baffling

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Im sure some will fight to the death that it’s a tactical masterclass though.

Im sure even a half decent manager could come in and at the very least have a good laugh at all of Wagners tinkering with this hilariously bad squad.

I get the desire to blame everything on Wagner but the idea he's been being played out of position? Nope. He's spent the vast majority of his career playing out wide according to any source I can find. 

I think whenever there is a player who plays out wide but isn't very quick there is an instinct to go 'ahh he's a number 10!' But I see very little evidence that he should be playing there- certainly not ahead of Sara or Nunez. 

Where I do blame Wagner is that he's choosing to play three very workmanlike players in support of our striker- all three of Fassnacht, Barnes and Onel are happy to run a lot but don't actually create very much. It feels the wrong way round, with our most creative players stuck in holding midfield type roles, giving the ball to a bunch of very limited players in front of them. It is also very frustrating when you've got Sainz on the bench who is, by all accounts, pretty creative and tricky. I know he hasn't done loads off the bench but he's surely deserving of a chance when our current options are doing very little.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The player he reminds me of is Mattias Jonson, whose best position was a kind of secondary striker, or wing-striker. And he got 57 caps for Sweden when Sweden were good. But Worthington played him as a workhorse wide right-sided midfielder, which didn't suit his strengths. Fassnacht seems similar.

Yes, Worthington had this slightly odd attitude to wingers at times- he thought any striker with a bit of running in them could play out wide, hence Jonson. Mark Rivers was a striker before he joined us too, plus Henderson and even Ryan Jarvis being forced out wide at times. Worked well with Huckerby though!

Saying that I don't think Jonson and Fassnacht are comparable- Jonson had spent most of his career upfront or off the striker before he joined us, Fassnacht has been a wide player almost all of his career.

Edited by king canary

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

I get the desire to blame everything on Wagner but the idea he's been being played out of position? Nope. He's spent the vast majority of his career playing out wide according to any source I can find. 

I think whenever there is a player who plays out wide but isn't very quick there is an instinct to go 'ahh he's a number 10!' But I see very little evidence that he should be playing there- certainly not ahead of Sara or Nunez. 

Where I do blame Wagner is that he's choosing to play three very workmanlike players in support of our striker- all three of Fassnacht, Barnes and Onel are happy to run a lot but don't actually create very much. It feels the wrong way round, with our most creative players stuck in holding midfield type roles, giving the ball to a bunch of very limited players in front of them. It is also very frustrating when you've got Sainz on the bench who is, by all accounts, pretty creative and tricky. I know he hasn't done loads off the bench but he's surely deserving of a chance when our current options are doing very little.

Nunez is starting to settle nicely and imo is on better form than Sara. Barnes is also offering very little at the moment.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nunez is starting to settle nicely and imo is on better form than Sara. Barnes is also offering very little at the moment.

He has offered very little all season but gets selected because of these mythical 'leadership qualities'. Mind you if 'back chatting' at referees or opposition players qualifies as 'leadership qualities' then fair enough!