Sign in to follow this  
S_81

Steven Schumacher

5 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Off to Stoke, apparentlyĀ 

Surprised nobody on here has mentioned Michael Beale appointed as Sunderland's new boss. Had a quick scan on their forum, quite a few of them very underwhelmed.

6 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Surprised nobody on here has mentioned Michael Beale appointed as Sunderland's new boss. Had a quick scan on their forum, quite a few of them very underwhelmed.

Yeah heā€™s a funny one as he had a decent spell at QPR at one point to land that Rangers job - but a lot of his CV/stats not much to write home about.Ā 
Ā 

I think had Wagner not saved himself, Schumacher could have been contender - if we were willing to pay severance (probably unlikely).Ā 

On 08/12/2023 at 16:45, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I still think Ian Evatt from Bolton would be my choice.Ā 

Agree. Not quite sure he's ready for the next step up as his teams can be pushed back a bit if they don't get technical superiority - in fact I'd say there's a "Farke-lite" quality to some of Bolton's play. Except for them playing three at the back a fair bit.

I had thought Will Still (at Reims) would be a good bet and he might be interested - he's very young but has an impressive record and apparently Sunderland were interested but weren't happy to pay compensation.Ā  Or John Mousinho at Portsmouth - I've been impressed by how he's developed Abu Kamara.Ā  I watched some of the Portsmouth v Bolton match last week - I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything that made me think he was out-thought by Ian Evatt.

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I had thought Will Still (at Reims) would be a good bet and he might be interested - he's very young but has an impressive record and apparently Sunderland were interested but weren't happy to pay compensation.Ā  Or John Mousinho at Portsmouth - I've been impressed by how he's developed Abu Kamara.Ā  I watched some of the Portsmouth v Bolton match last week - I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything that made me think he was out-thought by Ian Evatt.

Mousinho looks the next big thing doesnā€™t he. Portsmouth likely to be playing us next seasonĀ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I had thought Will Still (at Reims) would be a good bet and he might be interested - he's very young but has an impressive record and apparently Sunderland were interested but weren't happy to pay compensation.Ā 

Has he got his badges yet or are Reims still paying a fine each game for him?Ā 

53 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Has he got his badges yet or are Reims still paying a fine each game for him?Ā 

According to Wikipedia "Due to him not holding aĀ UEFA Pro Licence, Reims were fined ā‚¬25,000 for every match Still managed,[19]Ā until he started a monthly course at the National Football Centre near Brussels.[20]

1 minute ago, Rottingdean canary said:

According to Wikipedia "Due to him not holding aĀ UEFA Pro Licence, Reims were fined ā‚¬25,000 for every match Still managed,[19]Ā until he started a monthly course at the National Football Centre near Brussels.[20]

Ah, cheers my good man šŸ‘

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Stoke City bound!!!Ā 

Yes, looks like Schumacher is off to Stoke.Ā  I was getting the impression that Stoke might be a difficult club to manage for some reason.Ā  If it happens, that will be a big blow for Argyle - and probably Bali Mumba

Seeing this news has prompted me back on this forum. What a bizarre move this is. Undeniably done great to mould a young, hard working team at Plymouth, but strikes me as a real risk for a Stoke side that believes it should be competing in the promotion picture to appoint a manager with limited Championship experience.Ā 

Also can't understand why Sunderland would sack Mowbray. Seems a strange move too.Ā 

Can see Mowbray ending up at Swansea.Ā 

On 08/12/2023 at 00:24, S_81 said:

Making interesting noises about potential approach from Sunderland. Perfect time to pip them to him. GoodĀ fit for us.Ā 

Ā 

On 08/12/2023 at 11:06, norfolkngood said:

i would go get Steven Schumacher no problem ,

Get him in now so we might pick up a few players in January so we start rebuilding ASAP ,

With a Rebuild of our scale as long as we can shift some deadwood of course needs to start in January if possible ,

we have all seen teams and us make a lot of signings in one window then taking a team time to gel ,

if we get a new manager in ASAP he might add 2/3 in in January ( if possible ) and then bed them in ready for next season ,

We might even get some free signings that the new man has on his radar for next season that might get snapped up if we waitĀ 

More posts that have aged well..............

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Ā 

More posts that have aged well..............

Absolutely. Amazing that posters like S_81 who were all over this forum when things werenā€™t going well are conspicuous by their absence now. Still I imagine Schumacher will be available again soon. Interesting what he said about us on Saturday!

I'd be worried if I were a Stoke fan, that squad is truly shocking, destined for League One unless things change. How many managers is it now that have failed to make an impact there?

On 08/12/2023 at 11:06, norfolkngood said:

i would go get Steven Schumacher no problem ,

Get him in now so we might pick up a few players in January so we start rebuilding ASAP ,

With a Rebuild of our scale as long as we can shift some deadwood of course needs to start in January if possible ,

we have all seen teams and us make a lot of signings in one window then taking a team time to gel ,

if we get a new manager in ASAP he might add 2/3 in in January ( if possible ) and then bed them in ready for next season ,

We might even get some free signings that the new man has on his radar for next season that might get snapped up if we waitĀ 

Uh oh

Stoke is a weird club isnā€™t it. I mean they have tried Gary Rowett, Nathan Jones, Michael Oā€™Neill, Alex Neil and now Schumacher. And none of them have worked despite a massively wealthy owners and a degree of patience. There must be something going on that is not well known.

• Like 1

Schumacher looks like another manager who can get his teams playing attractive football with the results to match, but only when he has the talent advantage. I think we also probably made them look a bit worse than they actually are, our strength in fast transition attacks seemed to match up perfectly against their lack of organisation.

If Schumacher was here I'd bet he would do a decent job but realistically we're going to need a manager who can get a side performing when they don't have the best players and this season has probably shown him up in that regard.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, repman said:

Schumacher looks like another manager who can get his teams playing attractive football with the results to match, but only when he has the talent advantage. I think we also probably made them look a bit worse than they actually are, our strength in fast transition attacks seemed to match up perfectly against their lack of organisation.

If Schumacher was here I'd bet he would do a decent job but realistically we're going to need a manager who can get a side performing when they don't have the best players and this season has probably shown him up in that regard.Ā 

Ā 

Surely getting a team organised is largely down to the manager?

7 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Absolutely. Amazing that posters like S_81 who were all over this forum when things werenā€™t going well are conspicuous by their absence now. Still I imagine Schumacher will be available again soon. Interesting what he said about us on Saturday!

Iā€™m still here.Ā 
And I wasnā€™t alone in wanting Wagner sacked. There were many a poster on here thinking enough was enough.Ā 
Believe me, Iā€™d much rather have never had to have asked questions of the man. But, aside from the injury crisis, his tactics and subs were highly questionable at times. We had a truly awful run of things and the players didnā€™t look like they wanted him there.Ā 
Ā 

Regardless of what you think, Iā€™m really pleased itā€™s turned around. Ā It remains to be seen whether he can secure the play off spot. Or get us up. But at least heā€™s got us competing around the area we should be in the league.Ā 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Surely getting a team organised is largely down to the manager?

No it is but I think we've got enough quality that we'd be fine against most of the teams in this league. Being organised defensively is more important once you play teams that are better than you, I think you can get away with being a good attacking team and a not so great defensive one if you're going to be the more dominant side. It's similar to what we had here with Farke, just one division lower each time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, repman said:

No it is but I think we've got enough quality that we'd be fine against most of the teams in this league. Being organised defensively is more important once you play teams that are better than you, I think you can get away with being a good attacking team and a not so great defensive one if you're going to be the more dominant side. It's similar to what we had here with Farke, just one division lower each time.

Okay - see your point.

Anyway - hard not to see the irony - Schumacher was wandering around the sidelines looking like a man lost as Wagner's Norwich broke with devastating effect on his defensively disorganised Stoke side.

Wind back 6Ā months and it was Wagner looking ashen faced on the sidelines as Schumacher's Plymouth broke with devastating effect on his defensively disorganised Norwich side.Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, repman said:

Ā 

Talent advantage? Plymouth are awful. He did an incredible job there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

Talent advantage? Plymouth are awful. He did an incredible job there

I think they probably did have a talent advantage over most other sides in L1 last season.Ā 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 12:53, cambridgeshire canary said:

Uh oh

if you look at the job he was doing at Plymouth ! Hindsight is a wonderful thing ,

might have done better here you will never know he was doing a fantastic job before this oneĀ