king canary

Mick Dennis playing the hits...

Friends for nearly 30 years so it's hardly surprising, is it? I guess most of us, if we spent a lot of time with DS & MWJ and knew some of the stuff being said by fans was completely un true and un founded, would feel the need to make comment.

Although i'd argue he is just as entitled to argue the point about pathetic claims of them "clinging on" to the club for their social life etc. If anything he's better positioned to do that than most of the posters on here claiming the opposite.

Regardless, those who don't like Delia simply shouldn't read. They know what they're getting from a Mick Dennis article.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Friends for nearly 30 years so it's hardly surprising, is it? I guess most of us, if we spent a lot of time with DS & MWJ and knew some of the stuff being said by fans was completely un true and un founded, would feel the need to make comment.

Although i'd argue he is just as entitled to argue the point about pathetic claims of them "clinging on" to the club for their social life etc. If anything he's better positioned to do that than most of the posters on here claiming the opposite.

Regardless, those who don't like Delia simply shouldn't read. They know what they're getting from a Mick Dennis article.

If we all know what we're getting then why even bother writing it? I read it to see if he had any substantive arguments but he didn't. He picks a few of the nutier claims to address, like the social life one, which is mainly made by a few idiots, while failing to engage with the main substantive and reasonable points made by plenty of level headed fans post agm.

He's of course entitled to write these articles but all it does is further tarnish what little credibility he has left on all issues Norwich City.

• Like 7

Just now, king canary said:

If we all know what we're getting then why even bother writing it? I read it to see if he had any substantive arguments but he didn't. He picks a few of the nutier claims to address, like the social life one, which is mainly made by a few idiots, while failing to engage with the main substantive and reasonable points made by plenty of level headed fans post agm.

He's of course entitled to write these articles but all it does is further tarnish what little credibility he has left on all issues Norwich City.

Fair play to you. I personally tend to ignore when he writes during downturns in club fortunes because like you say, we know what we're getting with it..

"In 1978, on the day of the FA Cup Final, the executive broadcaster of BBC TV’s morning kids’ show, Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, ruled that everyone in the outside broadcast segment should wear a rosette of one or other of the finalists: Arsenal and a team from Suffolk. Delia had a blue rosette pinned on her. She said, live on air, “I am a Norwich supporter. I don’t really want this rosette.” She has never been to Portman Road, other than to watch Norwich. Some of those who dig out the picture of her in that blue rosette every year or so are Binners. But there are some City fans who must know the truth by now yet wilfully repeat the lie that she once was a Scummer."

• Thanks 3

Hi Mick

She needs to be baited into making a fool of herself on a national scale so she’s forced to sell up sooner 

kind regards

Buh

"Delia and Michael have relinquished absolute control of the club and want to hand the decisive role to Attanasio – in three year’s time unless that timescale proves unnecessary." 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

The appalling non answers to Connor’s reasonable question about Governance made my blood boil. The mask slipped and with it my tacit support for the Stowmarket duo. Funny MD didn’t deal with this topic in his piece……

This mask-slip stuff is all a bit cringe from our fans. She's always been the same, she's always been honest on what she thinks. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

"In 1978, on the day of the FA Cup Final, the executive broadcaster of BBC TV’s morning kids’ show, Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, ruled that everyone in the outside broadcast segment should wear a rosette of one or other of the finalists: Arsenal and a team from Suffolk. Delia had a blue rosette pinned on her. She said, live on air, “I am a Norwich supporter. I don’t really want this rosette.” She has never been to Portman Road, other than to watch Norwich. Some of those who dig out the picture of her in that blue rosette every year or so are Binners. But there are some City fans who must know the truth by now yet wilfully repeat the lie that she once was a Scummer."

This, incidentally, is a great example of why Dennis is so frustrating.

On social media this is called 'nutpicking.' Taking a relatively fringe argument that is easily disproved to try and paint all critics of the owners as being deluded. 

Yes, some idiots believe the 'Delia was an Ipswich fan' nonsense. But it is pretty irrelevant to the wider post agm dissatisfaction, which he completely fails to engage with.

Edited by king canary

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This mask-slip stuff is all a bit cringe from our fans. She's always been the same, she's always been honest on what she thinks. 

I disagree. I thought it was a noticeable change in tone from her at the agm.

• Like 4

Just now, king canary said:

This, incidentally, is a great example of why Dennis is so frustrating.

On social media this is called 'nutpicking.' Taking a relatively fringe argument that is easily disproved to try and paint all critics of the owners as being deluded. 

Yes, some idiots believe the 'Delia was an Ipswich fan' nonsense. But it is pretty irrelevant to the wider post agm dissatisfaction, which he completely fails to engage with.

I would agree, but it still gets repeated here, including the moronically stupid claim that she twice actually wanted to invest in Ipswich Town.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I love Delia, but even you must admit that their response was a classic defensive reaction from people who knew they'd ballsed up but didn't want to/couldn't admit it.

If they were comfortable with the total outsourcing of responsibility and removal of accountability to the Webbers, then there would have been no need to react to that question in the manner that they did.

They knew they were on a sticky wicket but don't want to concede the point, given how damaging it has been for the club these last two seasons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

They are nice to Mick thus above criticism.

Is this so bad? Presumably you go around slagging off your friends in public?

For fans football is an emotional business, they often say/write stuff that would be totally unacceptable or called out in most other circumstances. Inside the game football is a professional business that the fans usually know very little about. The local media tend to pander to the fans in a way that validates many spurious fan opinions. It is little wonder that the owners occasionally bite back, particularly when they put themselves forward in a way that most owners would avoid like the plague. Also little wonder that others in their world may express support.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would agree, but it still gets repeated here, including the moronically stupid claim that she twice actually wanted to invest in Ipswich Town.

That may not be the full truth but she's always made it clear she has a soft spot for them and that she thinks the East Anglian derby should not exist and that we should all be friends..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Is this so bad? Presumably you go around slagging off your friends in public?

Yes, there is no middle ground between slagging people off and writing defensive blogs about their suitability in their jobs.

Very smart.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That may not be the full truth but she's always made it clear she has a soft spot for them and that she thinks the East Anglian derby should not exist and that we should all be friends..

Please provide one piece of evidence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes, there is no middle ground between slagging people off and writing defensive blogs about their suitability in their jobs.

Very smart.

Yes but my guess is the article is, as per Mick, an emotional piece where he's mostly frustrated at the stuff me and you both admit is rubbish about DS & MWJ. 

To me and you, and plenty of others that are sensible, we know it's nonsense. But there's plenty of grown men, some in their 60's and 70's on here, who peddle that nonsense as truth.

As a friend I suspect it's those bit's that he's most annoyed and therefore writing about. That's my guess anyway. It's hardly a fantastic journalistic piece, it just is what it is. An emotional response to the silly stuff he's seen post AGM on the internet.

37 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I love Delia, but even you must admit that their response was a classic defensive reaction from people who knew they'd ballsed up but didn't want to/couldn't admit it.

If they were comfortable with the total outsourcing of responsibility and removal of accountability to the Webbers, then there would have been no need to react to that question in the manner that they did.

They knew they were on a sticky wicket but don't want to concede the point, given how damaging it has been for the club these last two seasons.

Yeah, I don't doubt they're a bit defensive! I'd rather she hadn't responded the way she had but I suspect after 25+ years of ownership and being criticised at every turn regardless of where the club is at, whilst being a fan yourself and emotionally involved, the response doesn't massively surprise me.

The question was legitimate and fair, the problem is all the rubbish that surrounds it. 

A few years ago one of my friends said that buying a boat was the second best day of his life, whilst selling it was the best.  I absolutely love Delia, I have the feeling that she and MWJ feel the same way about Norwich FC as my friend felt about the yacht.  We should actually be incredibly appreciative for everything they have done and even the fact that they have been trying to manage the transition of ownership of the club, with what I believe is the long term interests of the club considered.

I think deep down they would have preferred to pass on ownership more quickly but suspect the opportunity has not presented itself.  My fear with Attanasio is that the longer it drags on and the more he sees how tough it is the less likely he is to take it on.

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, king canary said:

If we all know what we're getting then why even bother writing it?

Should people stop bothering to preach world peace cause we've heard it all before, then?  It's ok to re-iterate what's been said previously when there's very hard opinions out there to the contrary.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Should people stop bothering to preach world peace cause we've heard it all before, then?  It's ok to re-iterate what's been said previously when there's very hard opinions out there to the contrary.

That was in response to the suggestion that those who don't agree with the author just shouldn't bother reading it, which would render writing it quite pointless.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

That was in response to the suggestion that those who don't agree with the author just shouldn't bother reading it, which would render writing it quite pointless.

Doesn't render it pointless at all, and nor does it mean he should not bother - As proven by the fact that you're someone who doesn't agree with it, yet we are discussing it.  In fact, you're the one that posted here so he's done a number on you.

There's a huge majority who sit in the middle who are neither happy nor raging mad who will know what this article will be and will digest it.  You're acting as though every reader comes to the article with a pre-conceived 'side', things aren't that binary.

Edited by Google Bot

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very smart.

I hope your friends are aware of your stance on the issue! 😁

24 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

A few years ago one of my friends said that buying a boat was the second best day of his life, whilst selling it was the best.  I absolutely love Delia, I have the feeling that she and MWJ feel the same way about Norwich FC as my friend felt about the yacht.  We should actually be incredibly appreciative for everything they have done and even the fact that they have been trying to manage the transition of ownership of the club, with what I believe is the long term interests of the club considered.

I think deep down they would have preferred to pass on ownership more quickly but suspect the opportunity has not presented itself.  My fear with Attanasio is that the longer it drags on and the more he sees how tough it is the less likely he is to take it on.

I agree. It is no point slagging off the management until they have a chance to appoint someone better.