cambridgeshire canary

Why was Liam Gibbs brought on?

should of been the first sub on and told to sit in the midfield and put his foot on the ball and slow the game down instead of Bringing on Barnes 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

should of been the first sub on and told to sit in the midfield and put his foot on the ball and slow the game down instead of Bringing on Barnes 

Indeed. There was a time when it looked like he might turn out to be a decent defensive midfielder…

And then Wagner decided he was a no. 10!

5 minutes ago, Grando said:

Indeed. There was a time when it looked like he might turn out to be a decent defensive midfielder…

And then Wagner decided he was a no. 10!

I Thought he would play more this season after his bright start last season 

Gibbs, Springett and Nunez are simply not good enough,  plus another 6 or 7 !!

Gibbs runs around a lot though, with little effect

Placheta would have been the more obvious sub to make for adding pace up top to a tiring front line (and especially as Barnes has just come back from injury and Hwang had gone off) but he was injured as well.

Wagnerball needs a mobile, hard-working sort up top to pressure the defence.

I actually quite like Gibbs. He's more of a box to box player than a CDM but he's also the most suited to the role out of all of the square pegs in the squad. I'd start him.

• Like 1

Gibbs came with a glowing reputation. It was a real coup for City 'stealing' him from the Binners.

That this promise seems to have deteriorated somewhat seems solely in the way he has been used by the coach.

In out, in out, shake it all about. One time, he is a defensive midfielder, the next a forward when in reality he could well make a decent attacking midfielder.

Wagner's lack of purpose (and I'm putting it lightly) and general clueless approach to the demands of a Championship manager is not only failing to get the best from his players, but some seem to be visibly going backwards.

Nunez could also be included in this, as both started off with promise, now both are either benched or used in unsuitable positions regarding their styles.

There are probably others, and I'm guessing that Sam McCallum might well be one. Will Callum Fisher be the next?

The longer David Wagner and his entire coaching staff remain at Carrow Road the more damage they will do.

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Heres your answer from our very own master tactician

Baffles me this whole switch up from Gibbs being a midfielder to being this sh*t hot striker due to his turn of pace and quick feet. I havent seen either from him in Midfield which would suggest this. Wagner is showing Bojo style competencies currently.

Similar to what I just posted in the Statistical Domination thread. We keep going with the double false 9 concept despite it only being viable when very specific players are available.

Nunez does fine for Chile in attacking midfield. Gibbs I thought had a real future as a Leitner-type midfielder but his development has stalled after developing Sorenson syndrome. Neither are suitable as strikers and the former hasn't looked the same since Dean Smith tried to turn him into a Championship central midfielder.

36 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Placheta would have been the more obvious sub to make for adding pace up top to a tiring front line (and especially as Barnes has just come back from injury and Hwang had gone off) but he was injured as well.

No way would I have been happy had we opted for Placheta over a Gibbs or Nunez. Placheta isn't intelligent enough to make the sort of runs needed to stretch them, especially when we had about 30% of the ball. He's also not a massive help defensively and regularly loses the man he's supposed to be tracking back.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No way would I have been happy had we opted for Placheta over a Gibbs or Nunez. Placheta isn't intelligent enough to make the sort of runs needed to stretch them, especially when we had about 30% of the ball. He's also not a massive help defensively and regularly loses the man he's supposed to be tracking back.

Gibbs is more of a box-to-box midfielder for me (we already know he has the endurance), Nunez is a classic "in-the-hole" player between midfield and attack. We needed someone who could press their defence and force them to go long. Hwang was already off injured, Barnes is only working his way back to full fitness so Idah's workload needs monitoring as Sargent's still out.

So I can understand why he chose Gibbs off the bench, especially as we were lacking genuine pace on said bench.

Now if you were saying in the hole behind Barnes, I'd completely agree with you. I just think of the things to criticise Wagner for, this is an odd one considering the fixture congestion, injury situation, and the need to keep his limited strike options relatively fresh. If we haven't got express pace to make opposition defences panic, then throw someone up there who can run hard and press.

Any news on Hwangs injury? However if hamstring we would be seeing him until post christmas now. How many seasons do we have with significant injury problems now!? Derails any chances of a good crack at the league. Beyond our first team fit 11 we lack any real depth/quality.

48 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Gibbs is more of a box-to-box midfielder for me (we already know he has the endurance), Nunez is a classic "in-the-hole" player between midfield and attack. We needed someone who could press their defence and force them to go long. Hwang was already off injured, Barnes is only working his way back to full fitness so Idah's workload needs monitoring as Sargent's still out.

So I can understand why he chose Gibbs off the bench, especially as we were lacking genuine pace on said bench.

Now if you were saying in the hole behind Barnes, I'd completely agree with you. I just think of the things to criticise Wagner for, this is an odd one considering the fixture congestion, injury situation, and the need to keep his limited strike options relatively fresh. If we haven't got express pace to make opposition defences panic, then throw someone up there who can run hard and press.

Yes, I guess we are talking about different things, partially because I think I'm still mentally scarred from the Ashley Barnes substitution and it's all I can think about!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, I guess we are talking about different things, partially because I think I'm still mentally scarred from the Ashley Barnes substitution and it's all I can think about!

I thought so but wasn't certain, and you might remember the piece here on the Pink Un a couple of months ago that Gibbs, Placheta and one other player (can't remember who, possibly Sainz) was being considered as an out-and-out striker with the injuries we had. But I'd say the Barnes substitution was the more baffling one - that was the time to reinforce midfield somewhat.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Gibbs came with a glowing reputation. It was a real coup for City 'stealing' him from the Binners.

That this promise seems to have deteriorated somewhat seems solely in the way he has been used by the coach.

In out, in out, shake it all about. One time, he is a defensive midfielder, the next a forward when in reality he could well make a decent attacking midfielder.

Wagner's lack of purpose (and I'm putting it lightly) and general clueless approach to the demands of a Championship manager is not only failing to get the best from his players, but some seem to be visibly going backwards.

Nunez could also be included in this, as both started off with promise, now both are either benched or used in unsuitable positions regarding their styles.

There are probably others, and I'm guessing that Sam McCallum might well be one. Will Callum Fisher be the next?

The longer David Wagner and his entire coaching staff remain at Carrow Road the more damage they will do.

How can you say that with such a midfielder legend as happy clapping Hughes as coach teaching him all he knows 😂 ha !

Edited by norfolkngood

2 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Gibbs, Springett and Nunez are simply not good enough,  plus another 6 or 7 !!

Gibbs runs around a lot though, with little effect

Gibbs was very good in pre season playing in the deeper role in midfield. Since then he’s barely had a run out except for the odd game as a number 10

13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Placheta injured again. That figures!

Edited by Grando