Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Football in a library?

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Vive la Drum! 

The sooner it's back, the better. 

The atmosphere is an absolute embarrassment befitting our club currently. But you seem ok with that. 

The atmosphere with the drum is not much better and is horrendously artificial.  And also so bereft of any ‘tune’ other than one extremely dull and repetitive one.

I don’t know what’s happened to chants but it seems our fans only know two or three these days.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Vive la Drum! 

The sooner it's back, the better. 

The atmosphere is an absolute embarrassment befitting our club currently. But you seem ok with that. 

What's more embarrassing is the green street posse banging a drum and singing the same song for 90 mins.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

The atmosphere with the drum is not much better and is horrendously artificial.  And also so bereft of any ‘tune’ other than one extremely dull and repetitive one.

I don’t know what’s happened to chants but it seems our fans only know two or three these days.  

But it is better, you agree.

40 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

But it is better, you agree.

I said not much better, it is marginal. I’d much prefer not to have it.  I have always considered an artificially created atmosphere to be a bit pathetic - I didn’t particularly like the drum when Ken Brown introduced it in the 80s and don’t now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

God forbid those lads have a release and enjoy themselves on a Saturday afternoon!

At the expense of others....

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I said not much better, it is marginal. I’d much prefer not to have it.  I have always considered an artificially created atmosphere to be a bit pathetic - I didn’t particularly like the drum when Ken Brown introduced it in the 80s and don’t now. 

How does a drum “artificially” create an atmosphere?

8 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

How does a drum “artificially” create an atmosphere?

Because the person with the drum independently dictates what you sing and when you sing it.

To me the atmosphere is created by the action on the pitch. Sudden roar when we break, bad refereeing decision, shout for a penalty. That sort of thing.

I’m not against the drum particularly but it is artificial, to me at least.

• Like 1

Putting the drum aside for the moment these were the stats and the entertainment we were dished up against the 2nd bottom team:

Possession 38% (!!)

Shots 7, 1 on target and that was the goal 

4 corners

I joined in with OTBC, cheered the goal, acknowledged a few decent passes, but that was it really, oh apart from Barnes piling in down near the corner flag late on, but that was the limit of the action 2nd half!

I suspect others were similarly engaged. There was really much to get behind on a bitterly cold afternoon.

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Because the person with the drum independently dictates what you sing and when you sing it.

To me the atmosphere is created by the action on the pitch. Sudden roar when we break, bad refereeing decision, shout for a penalty. That sort of thing.

I’m not against the drum particularly but it is artificial, to me at least.

But it’s not artificial atmosphere is it. It’s atmosphere, which ever way it’s produced, and having some is much better than not!

Artificial is pumping out fake crowd noise through the pa system!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

We wouldn’t need to talk about a drum if we had a manager that played decent, effective, enjoyable football. 

13 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

If we had something to cheer about, we would, struggling to stay awake at the moment 

10 minutes ago, S_81 said:

We wouldn’t need to talk about a drum if we had a manager that played decent, effective, enjoyable football. 

We've had poorer managers and much poorer results with better atmosphere's than we have currently, though.

Maybe it's entitlement?

Maybe it's modern football?

But I've heard better support from us in the Barclay under Peter Grant and Glenn Roeder, when losing matches!

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

As far as i'm aware the drummer has a football ban, not by our club, so unless I'm wrong the drum isn't banned. So a decent solution for you would be to volunteer to drum the drum until such a time the drummer can return. Perhaps you could wave some flags as well because they seem to be missing too.

Absofeckinlutely !

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We've had poorer managers and much poorer results with better atmosphere's than we have currently, though.

Maybe it's entitlement?

But I've heard better support from us in the Barclay under Peter Grant and Glenn Roeder, when losing matches!

No doubt whatsoever for me, it’s a strange mix of post-covid and entitlement, perhaps with demographics mixed in as maybe there’s an ageing spectator population?

For us it hasn’t been helped coinciding with poor general form for a couple of seasons, but I think there is an issue with atmosphere in the wider game, particularly for ‘home’ supporters.

There were some interesting comments around lack of atmosphere for Man City v Liverpool the other day. I heard an argument that this was down to the early kick off, but if you took that game back 5 years the City fans would have been chomping at the bit whatever the time.

Re the drum(mer), I’m not a particular fan, but the idea that only one person in our entire fan base can hit a drum to a vague rhythm is bizarre. Surely someone else could do it.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Maybe it's entitlement?

i think there’s a genuine apathy around the club at the moment. People are waiting in hope for Knapper to show signs of something different from the dirge of the last few seasons. That will have to involve Wagner being shown the door. The football is truly dire. There’s very little to get you off your seat for. That won’t change. 

I think many fans have realised that bellowing support at the players won’t make a blind bit of difference when we are so ineffective tactically. 

Also - some players out there simply don’t deserve that much effort from the crowd. You get what you give. 

Finally - we’ve always had the happy clapper crowd. Older. Claps here and there. The odd OTBC. Grandkids sat beside them. Always means the minority have to work harder to really get it going 

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

i think there’s a genuine apathy around the club at the moment. People are waiting in hope for Knapper to show signs of something different from the dirge of the last few seasons. That will have to involve Wagner being shown the door. The football is truly dire. There’s very little to get you off your seat for. That won’t change. 

I think many fans have realised that bellowing support at the players won’t make a blind bit of difference when we are so ineffective tactically. 

Also - some players out there simply don’t deserve that much effort from the crowd. You get what you give. 

Finally - we’ve always had the happy clapper crowd. Older. Claps here and there. The odd OTBC. Grandkids sat beside them. Always means the minority have to work harder to really get it going 

This set of players consistently work hard though. They've been useless at times but not lazy. If some fans genuinely have your attitude of "He's not good enough so i'm not going to bother supporting the team" when at a game, then I don't think football is for them; or perhaps football is changing to something completely different and it's not for me...

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Putting the drum aside for the moment these were the stats and the entertainment we were dished up against the 2nd bottom team: 

Possession 38% (!!)

Shots 7, 1 on target and that was the goal 

4 corners

I joined in with OTBC, cheered the goal, acknowledged a few decent passes, but that was it really, oh apart from Barnes piling in down near the corner flag late on, but that was the limit of the action 2nd half!

I suspect others were similarly engaged. There was really much to get behind on a bitterly cold afternoon.

Agree with much of this CP, but nobody has mentioned the other shot on target; Stacey's effort in the first half that brought about one of the best headed, goal-line clearances I've seen in a long time!

(But in today's weird stats- based world, if it's not saved by the keeper then it goes down as a "blocked shot")

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Agree with much of this CP, but nobody has mentioned the other shot on target; Stacey's effort in the first half that brought about one of the best headed, goal-line clearances I've seen in a long time!

(But in today's weird stats- based world, if it's not saved by the keeper then it goes down as a "blocked shot")

But Stacey's shot wasn't on target (from where I was sitting) nor was it cleared off the line. 

1 minute ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Karl Burns?

That'll take a bit of work to track him down, but might be the gig that he'd be up for, especially if it ended like versus Leeds! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Just watched it back on "90mins" at 12 mins in, and it still looks inside far post to me, as it did from behind the goal on Saturday.

But I may be wrong if you had a better angle than me!

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

This set of players consistently work hard though. They've been useless at times but not lazy. If some fans genuinely have your attitude of "He's not good enough so i'm not going to bother supporting the team" when at a game, then I don't think football is for them; or perhaps football is changing to something completely different and it's not for me...

Relative to their wages I really don’t think some of our players do deserve individual support. Doesn’t mean the team doesn’t need cheering