Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

'Blame me' - Wagner takes the rap for Boro loss

I think he should shoulder more blame for Leeds than tonight. It was the tactical naivety and waiting for the inevitable that did for us on Saturday, but tonight was just down to a team that looked very timid with confidence dwindling rapidly. They didn't play with any freedom out there and at times seemed frightened to receive the ball or make a mistake.

Just woke up. Why's he not gone yet ? Nice to see him accepting the blame as this is firmly at his door. If last night isn't then a loss on Saturday will surely do for him. He may as well roll the dice and make a few changes. 

Wagner acknowledges that he is to blame. The Supporters know that he is to blame. Do the players feel that they are blameless? I paid good money to watch a clueless squad capitulate to Leeds and Middlesbrough at home. There were too many players who are clearly underperforming, are they blameless? Individuals like Idah plod around the pitch, hiding from the ball and then shakes his head at the portion of the fans who give him stick for not contributing? Is he blameless?  A lot of hard looks need to be taken by our players at their own performance and how they are going to improve because at the moment they are clearly not fit for purpose.

I’d rather blame smith and jones who have allowed this ridiculous situation of limbo around the club to linger. Webber should be long gone, as should they

Edited by Virtual reality
  • Like 1

Wagner should never have been appointed- it was a mate’s thing from Webber who is de mob happy and looking to the future- possibly at Leeds. Wagner also should have gone at the end of last season when we ALSO went into irreversible free fall and were only saved by season ending. Webber should have gone two years ago - but certainly 3 minutes after he announced his resignation. He never signed freebie old war horses prior to this and has saddled us with an ageing side which will be hard to shift - and total dross. The smiths have clearly stated too long and it’s now a nice hobby for them which they let other people run - meaning no accountability. No other side in the country would allow a soft theee year transition phase and let Webber remain in post etc - all of which is now showing on the pitch. 

14th place and 17 points from a possible 39. You are to blame full stop, along with Mr Webber! Disgraceful!

The blame game is a complex chain.

At the immediate level, the players. But it's hardly their fault if they are being managed badly and played in either a position or a system (or both) that doesn't suit them, nor is it their fault if they are simply not of the quality needed and should be at best on the bench, nor if they are past their best and yet being asked to have the physical stamina of twenty-year-olds. But I don't think anyone can say that the players aren't trying their best.

The manager is under-performing, to put it mildly. He is probably the worst in-match reader of a game that I have ever seen at Carrow Road. As with the players, I think he is trying his best. So the next question is 'Who hired him?'

Which takes us to our Glorious Leader. The collapse of the last two and a half years can all be traced to the decisions he made following our second promotion. He decided we needed to be more 'pragmatic', but then hired a group of players who were far from pragmatic choices; in my opinion because he wanted the glory of unearthing superstars rather than thinking about how a group of new players might fit together into the team. We all know the history since then. And now he has resigned but is still in place, creating  a situation where no matter how bad things get, it is almost impossible to fire the head coach or to do anything meaningful until the New Year.

And above him, Delia and Michael, who seem to have forgotten that Webber is their employee and should answer to them, who despite their avowed love for the club allowed Webber to trash the fans and squabble with the local press, and even then let him set his own terms about when he left, which unsurprisingly suited him and not the club.

I know all this is very negative, and apportioning blame achieves nothing, but it's a total mess from top to bottom and if nothing else we fans should have the right to vent our anger.

• Like 3

He doesn't seem to blame his tactics for the recent defeats though, apparently last night's loss was down to a continuing lack of confidence in possession and individual mistakes.

The players have to buy into how they're being asked to play and you can see they're not happy or comfortable with the slow build-up from the back, it's criminal that Sara is being forced to pick up the ball in the defensive third time and again.

A couple more defeats and I think the players will revolt. 

Edited by DraytonBoy

33 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

He doesn't seem to blame his tactics for the recent defeats though, apparently last night's loss was down to a continuing lack of confidence in possession and individual mistakes.

The players have to buy into how they're being asked to play and you can see they're not happy or comfortable with the slow build-up from the back, it's criminal that Sara is being forced to pick up the ball in the defensive third time and again.

A couple more defeats and I think the players will revolt. 

Do you not think they are revolting already. Downed tools. Players want change as do fans. Stevie Wonder can see that

If you are conceding 2 Goals a game, which we have quite regularly this season, changes have to be made in Defence. Our Team Selection & Formation is

Gunn, Stacey, Duffy, Gibson, Giannoulis with McLean & Sara in front, all remain regular starters. Is it only injuries that forces you out of the team ?

What must Batth & Forshaw be thinking ?

Lack of confidence is another reason to rest / drop a player

I am the last in becoming a moaner. But, yes David Wagner. We have to blame you

There is also a Board of Directors watching every match. They must know. And they have to share this blame

6 hours ago, Walcombe canary said:

If you are conceding 2 Goals a game, which we have quite regularly this season, changes have to be made in Defence. Our Team Selection & Formation is

Gunn, Stacey, Duffy, Gibson, Giannoulis with McLean & Sara in front, all remain regular starters. Is it only injuries that forces you out of the team ?

What must Batth & Forshaw be thinking ?

Lack of confidence is another reason to rest / drop a player

I am the last in becoming a moaner. But, yes David Wagner. We have to blame you

There is also a Board of Directors watching every match. They must know. And they have to share this blame

Things have quietened down as the day has gone on which is exactly why the board will do nothing and say nothing. Let the fans say what they want but they don't understand football so once they have vented we will carry on as normal. That's Norwich City for you