CANARYKING

How long has Wagner got ?

25 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Who would you realisticially appoint that is significantly better?

If you are talking about the long list of usual suspects (including the Smiths and the Wagners) then you are probably right.

However, it does seem that, whenever City have made an appointment of somebody "out of the blue" they seem to have some luck.

Walker, Lambert, Neil and Farke were hardly candidates from the 'merry-go-round' and all brought some success.

Of course it's not written in stone but one reason I favour the arrival of this new young man with an Arsenal background is that I suspect that any appointment he makes will be of a young, relatively unknown modern thinking individual who, dare I say it, is more akin to a Keiran McKenna than a Dean Smith.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If you are talking about the long list of usual suspects (including the Smiths and the Wagners) then you are probably right.

However, it does seem that, whenever City have made an appointment of somebody "out of the blue" they seem to have some luck.

Walker, Lambert, Neil and Farke were hardly candidates from the 'merry-go-round' and all brought some success.

Of course it's not written in stone but one reason I favour the arrival of this new young man with an Arsenal background is that I suspect that any appointment he makes will be of a young, relatively unknown modern thinking individual who, dare I say it, is more akin to a Keiran McKenna than a Dean Smith.

Maybe take a leaf out of Arsenal's book and try a Spanish manager. Young, untried at top level but with bags of experience and would draw players. Has done quite well coaching since retiring whist working with young players. What about Raul ? Unlikely but aim high and build a project which fans would subscribe to. 

This thread puzzles me a bit. This season has been a mixture of the very good and some pretty ordinary stuff but we are a point off the Play Offs and only three off third. With our two main centre forwards out I'm not really sure what more was expected after eleven games to be honest. All seems a bit negative.

No doubt the start our friends from Suffolk have made makes people feel worse about our own position but I think folk worry far too much about them. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

i think a lot of it is the Experienced managers others know exactly how they will play and what tactics they will use ,

a unknown fresh approach is far better in my eyes ,

IF smith or Wagner get other jobs teams know exactly how they play exactly what tactics because they have used the same all their career ,

Wagner is stuck in his ways in my eyes what brought him success at Huddersfield has not brought him success anywhere else ,

we need someone who has plan A,B,C and can mix it up not just one style fits all 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

This thread puzzles me a bit. This season has been a mixture of the very good and some pretty ordinary stuff but we are a point off the Play Offs and only three off third. With our two main centre forwards out I'm not really sure what more was expected after eleven games to be honest. All seems a bit negative.

No doubt the start our friends from Suffolk have made makes people feel worse about our own position but I think folk worry far too much about them. 

i get your point and it is correct ,

we are also 4 points from 17th with 4 tough games and not in good form ,

we are 1 point off play offs now but where will we be in 4 games time ? ,

7 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i get your point and it is correct ,

we are also 4 points from 17th with 4 tough games and not in good form ,

we are 1 point off play offs now but where will we be in 4 games time ? ,

Well if we don't win any of the next four games and slip into the bottom half then that's a different matter and it will be a reasonable question. But that's all 'what if' and not based on whats actually happened so far. 

If we win all four games we'll be pushing the top two probably! Doubt that'll happen but who knows.

As things stand I think Mr Wagner deserves to not have his position questioned personally but maybe I'm old fashioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Well if we don't win any of the next four games and slip into the bottom half then that's a different matter and it will be a reasonable question. But that's all 'what if' and not based on whats actually happened so far. 

If we win all four games we'll be pushing the top two probably! Doubt that'll happen but who knows.

As things stand I think Mr Wagner deserves to not have his position questioned personally but maybe I'm old fashioned.

of course you are right it is what if ,

i think it could go two ways if we are mid table or worse ,

with our DOF leaving we are in a funny position with the manager ,

Webber might make the new DOF job easier or harder by sacking him ,

i imagine we will find out pretty soon if the new DOF is impressed by Wagner or not ,

if he is not impressed and think he knows someone better i expect Webber to be the bad guy and sack Wagner ,

Webber would not be involved in picking the next manager so we will have to wait for the new DOF or is he making future decisions now with webber at helm ?

I can’t see the new DoF making any changes until the end of the season when he has had a proper chance to assess where we are. 

In all honesty the EPL is not really a place I want to be watching City at the moment. 

Look at Burnley, a young forward thinking manager with great contacts, play fast free flowing football, spent close to £100 million in the summer and they are in danger of heading straight back down and struggling to cope. Equally the club has asked for ideas to improve the atmosphere at home games because apparently it’s been very flat. 

I think teams need to make a much more pragmatic view if staying in the EPL and being competitive is the goal. Fast free flowing football that looks great in the championship will get you relegated in the EPL. 

Presumably the stated objective remains to gain promotion to the Premier League? As @duke63says, given Burnley's recent struggles, it's a pretty daunting prospect!

By Christmas I envisage new Sporting Director Ben Knapper to have assessed state of play at NCFC and act accordingly. Whether he decides to stick or twist, a lot depends on which potential replacement Head Coaches are available, and when. Either way, I welcome a calm, measured, considered approach from someone who appears to represent a modern thinker in the game...

I can't see one of the first decisions Knapper makes will be to sack Wagner.

I hope and would assume he's taken in what's been happening at Arsenal, with Arteta in particular, and will have a strong view how he wants NCFC to operate. 

If Wagner isn't going to be receptive to any changes Knapper wants then it will be difficult for him. Likewise I hope the handover process with Webber is as light touch and quick as possible. We want new ideas, not a mirror image of what's gone on before.

Wagner I believe is on a 12 month rolling contract. That doesn't feel a long-term commitment by either club or manager.

12 month rolling contract is far too long as most posters on here never go 12 months without wanting a manager sacked. Wagner hasn't even done 12 months yet and it's been the Okey Cokey through out the short time he's been here.

We need to shake it all about more...

• Haha 1

I don't know how long he has got but I think just about everyone knows Wagner is done for, unless he can get us competing at the top end of the league sharpish. Wagner himself knew it, that's partly why he was desperate for 'experience' this summer. He realised that the only way he would have a chance at keeping his job once Webber left was by having the team performing and fans on his side. The fact that Webber and the board allowed this to happen is another issue, but is one that will make things so much harder for the club over the next 2 or 3 years. I'd love to know what Knapper thinks of the business done in the summer, if he's as smart as he's meant to be I can't imagine he's best pleased by it.

47 minutes ago, For the future said:

If we get beat by a lot of goals with Leeds tomorrow then he will be sacked straight away 

As in '100%' / Guaranteed / No questions asked / Instant termination? How do you know that?

8 hours ago, canarycop said:

Maybe take a leaf out of Arsenal's book and try a Spanish manager. Young, untried at top level but with bags of experience and would draw players. Has done quite well coaching since retiring whist working with young players. What about Raul ? Unlikely but aim high and build a project which fans would subscribe to. 

If and when Wagner goes don't rule a Spanish manager - he's already in-house; Narcis Pelach.

Would be the cheap option as well.

10 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i think a lot of it is the Experienced managers others know exactly how they will play and what tactics they will use ,

a unknown fresh approach is far better in my eyes ,

IF smith or Wagner get other jobs teams know exactly how they play exactly what tactics because they have used the same all their career ,

Wagner is stuck in his ways in my eyes what brought him success at Huddersfield has not brought him success anywhere else ,

we need someone who has plan A,B,C and can mix it up not just one style fits all 

To be fair, I thought when we had Sargent and Barnes in the team we were willing to mix it up and go long when passing to break the press was difficult. I just don't think we have the players to do it as Idah nor Hwang look like they're going to effectively run the channels and hold the ball up in those areas.

Latest PinkUn headline:-

"David Wagner reveals blueprint to get Norwich City firing,"

Again? I don't know how long the man will last at Carrow Road. I don't know how long he deserves to last at Carrow Road, but he sure talks a good game.

This is a virtual repeat of the headlines he grabbed during the Summer when he managed to convince a lot of us that the influx of tough hardened pros into the squad was that "blueprint."

What I am beginning to know is that the man does not seem to have the same expectations for NCFC that I have. 

But then I'm a supporter with unrealistic expectations and he's a professional in the game and would therefore be more aware of the 'steep and thorny path to heaven.'

What I do know is that with one win in six and with some dismal performances included it requires one hell of a good talker to convince me that the club is on the right path.

I couldn't actually bother to read beyond that headline, but my yellow and green tinted specs lead me to hope that the introduction of Saintz along with the recovery of Barnes & the Sarge will at least keep the season alive.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Again? I don't know how long the man will last at Carrow Road. I don't know how long he deserves to last at Carrow Road, but he sure talks a good game.

This is a virtual repeat of the headlines he grabbed during the Summer when he managed to convince a lot of us that the influx of tough hardened pros into the squad was that "blueprint."

What I am beginning to know is that the man does not seem to have the same expectations for NCFC that I have. 

But then I'm a supporter with unrealistic expectations and he's a professional in the game and would therefore be more aware of the 'steep and thorny path to heaven.'

What I do know is that with one win in six and with some dismal performances included it requires one hell of a good talker to convince me that the club is on the right path.

I couldn't actually bother to read beyond that headline, but my yellow and green tinted specs lead me to hope that the introduction of Saintz along with the recovery of Barnes & the Sarge will at least keep the season alive.

i do not think he is the man 

he has one win in 6 been on long losing runs at other clubs and here end of last season ,

we need that manager who has that special talent to get more out of players ,

Lambert and farke had it also Alex neil to lesser degree , 

having said that wagner is the type to get good results in the next 4 hard games then lose to lesser teams after ,

then we are confused again if he is a good manager or not ! 

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That went well!

He's out of his depth, get rid.

More money wasted by Webber