Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Nunez to play for Chile!

Anyone else bemused by our apparent decision to allow Nunez to play for Chile?

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/23848043.chile-boss-eduardo-berizzo-confirms-marcelino-nunez-plans/

I know it talks about being a motivator for him but given he hasn't played a minute for us since he got injured on international duty, Surely we should insist that he pulls out of the squad?

We are so lacking in influential midfielders who can change a game (which Nunez can do if on form) I cant believe we are risking him playing in an international. 

I might be dreaming this but I don't think clubs are allowed to prevent players playing for their countries, a FIFA rule?

If selected they join up with the others and it's then up to the country to decide if they are fit enough. No point in picking a player who is injured either at the outset when the squad is announced or later when the team is. Arsenal faced a similar thing over Saka where the FA insisted he should be assessed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/09/gareth-southgate-bukayo-saka-italy-assess-injury-arsenal

Nunez has been back in training according to Wagner so it was always going to be difficult to prevent him from joining Chile. 

If he is ready, it surely helps us for him to get some competitive time with Chile rather the U21s which must be at a lower level. Helps him to gain match sharpness.

No problem for me.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

If he is ready, it surely helps us for him to get some competitive time with Chile rather the U21s which must be at a lower level. Helps him to gain match sharpness.

No problem for me.

Agreed, hope he scores and plays a blinder  if starting. Can only help him force match time here. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Agreed, hope he scores and plays a blinder  if starting. Can only help him force match time here. 

Not sure we have missed him much so we won't be any worse off if he gets injured. If hs returns in good knick then that is a plus.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not sure we have missed him much so we won't be any worse off if he gets injured. If hs returns in good knick then that is a plus.

He was more consistent than Sara earlier on last season. There’s definitely a player there, confidence as much as fitness will help the lad. 

His seemingly constant trips back and forth to Chile are killing his Norwich career if you ask me.

Plus how even do you get to Chile from Norwich hell of a journey I would imagine.

4 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

His seemingly constant trips back and forth to Chile are killing his Norwich career if you ask me.

Plus how even do you get to Chile from Norwich hell of a journey I would imagine.

I’ll answer my own question it seem like you fly from Norwich to Amsterdam then to Buenos Aires then to Santiago. It is a 20 hour trip without any journey before or after. You would imagine if he plays a mid week game (which could be away from home) his journey home might start on Thursday and he would arrive back in Norwich some time on Friday. If it is an away game then he would then travel straight to that.

Ha ha more research shows he plays away in Venezuela on Tuesday at 10pm. That is a 10 hour flight from Santiago. He will be doing well to be back in Norfolk let alone ready to play on Saturday against Leeds!

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

It's a 15 hour flight

5 hours ago, ec-p said:

Don’t think Wagner rates him for some reason. 

I don't think it's too much of a mystery why. Wagner wants more physicality and energy in his midfield, not really qualities Nunez brings to the table. 

3 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I think I remember reading that when Ben Brereton-Diaz was first called up by Chile he'd fly to Madrid and then on Santiago. I could be mistaken though. 

9 hours ago, ec-p said:

Don’t think Wagner rates him for some reason. 

I rate him in terms of potential but right now? Not so much. Everything he does is nearly brilliant but not quite. Almost every hollywood pass is just slightly over or under hit, almost every dribble just one player too many, he tries so hard to go and win a ball when the smarter thing to do would be to hold off and just wait for the right moment etc. I don't know how to describe him except that I always find myself thinking or saying 'ohh, nearly' whenever he tries to make things happen in a game.

I think in a year or two's time he'll be a hell of a player at this level but right now he's not quite there yet. 

• Like 1

We don't miss midfielders, we miss a solid defence, of which we've been lacking for several years..

Build from the back will forever hold true.

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary

10 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I rate him in terms of potential but right now? Not so much. Everything he does is nearly brilliant but not quite. Almost every hollywood pass is just slightly over or under hit, almost every dribble just one player too many, he tries so hard to go and win a ball when the smarter thing to do would be to hold off and just wait for the right moment etc. I don't know how to describe him except that I always find myself thinking or saying 'ohh, nearly' whenever he tries to make things happen in a game.

I think in a year or two's time he'll be a hell of a player at this level but right now he's not quite there yet. 

Nailed it. Can see why he was a standout in a slower league, and he's another in our ranks who I think would look decent in Serie A.

16 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Well we knew that before we signed him. Same with Sargent and the US.

No doubt he's now starting to realise 'Norwich International Airport' doesn't go very far at the best of times and even less when daylight hours reduce.

As far as his football is concerned he needs time on the pitch, lots of it. I'm seeing him only as a bit part player under Wagner. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well we knew that before we signed him. Same with Sargent and the US.

No doubt he's now starting to realise 'Norwich International Airport' doesn't go very far at the best of times and even less when daylight hours reduce.

As far as his football is concerned he needs time on the pitch, lots of it. I'm seeing him only as a bit part player under Wagner. 

the fitness he gains from one match miles away will probably be reduced by the fatigue of traveling  

• Like 1

I would rather he picked up 'a knock' beforehand and doesnt travel. Would like to seem him fully fit asap and contribute this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I would rather he picked up 'a knock' beforehand and doesnt travel. Would like to seem him fully fit asap and contribute this season. 

Already there. They play tomorrow, then again on Tuesday.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Already there. They play tomorrow, then again on Tuesday.

I suppose he gets fitness and potential match time whilst away. Hopefully no flare ups of his injury occur.