cambridgeshire canary

How hard should refs crack down on obvious pretend injuries?

I mean in the FA's laws you get rule 12 of "attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled" yet have you ever seen that be enforced? Once in a blue moon maybe..

It's off-putting by its prevalence and such players are really biting the hand that feeds them as it distracts from the spectacle.

However, referees are not medically experienced and this makes it all rather difficult for them unless they directly see obvious play-acting like in that snippet.

A five-minute compulsory 'bin' for all requiring off-field assistance might be the answer, but then the whole caboodle becomes even more complicated. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Red Card - end of.
2 teams down to 9 men should shake it up, but then the big boys will complain resulting in what we have now.... a joke.

As ever, this is more about referees not enforcing the rules.

If a player goes down and doesn't require treatment, his teammates are not allowed to delay the restart of play. If they do, a yellow card is supposed to be shown.

If they do require treatment, the injured player has to go off for treatment and wait at least 30 seconds on the sidelines before rejoining the game. We saw this against Leicester, where the crowd got frustrated by the ref not allowing, whoever it was (I forget), back onto the pitch.

These are new rules:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/july/28/-match-officials-adopt-new-approach-for-2023-24-season/

• Like 1

Nothing more frustrating than stoppages in play for throw ins etc, And its even worse when you know some idiot like Fernandes is sitting down for nothing other than a sulk.

Players have rules since Bosman and the EPL. And its not going to change. I fear it will get worse.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nothing more frustrating than stoppages in play for throw ins etc, And its even worse when you know some idiot like Fernandes is sitting down for nothing other than a sulk.

Players have rules since Bosman and the EPL. And its not going to change. I fear it will get worse.

Honestly much as players get tired and cramps near the end of the game is understandable it is funny how it always seems to be the players who are on the winning side that seem to collapse and call for the game to be stopped soon as the clock passes about the 80th minute isnt it?

Then again there does seem to be a culture and views of "well it's just a part of the game it's all just running the clock down true professionalism you know like running the ball to the corner flag and standing there for three minutes"

I mean yes I get that but god is it both expected yet boring

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly much as players get tired and cramps near the end of the game is understandable it is funny how it always seems to be the players who are on the winning side that seem to collapse and call for the game to be stopped soon as the clock passes about the 80th minute isnt it?

Then again there does seem to be a culture and views of "well it's just a part of the game it's all just running the clock down true professionalism you know like running the ball to the corner flag and standing there for three minutes"

I mean yes I get that but god is it both expected yet boring

Professionalism is only good when your own team is doing it.

I think it would have to be something led by teams AKA 'we are making a statement that our players will not feign injury, and we ask the opposition to do the same'. It would be impossible for refs to know real from fake. All of Sargent, Barnes and last season Hanley had relatively innocuous moments that have ended up being months & months out; you then have Max Aarons who could make a convincing case for having been cut down with a band saw but would start the next game good as new.

Problem is, potential benefits of play-acting far outweigh the negatives so I couldn't see it ever happening. 

On 26/09/2023 at 15:22, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean in the FA's laws you get rule 12 of "attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled" yet have you ever seen that be enforced? Once in a blue moon maybe..

Have a rule that, if a player goes to ground and isn't back up in 20 seconds then they should be forced to wait at the side of the pitch for 3 minutes as a precaution after play resumes.

On 26/09/2023 at 17:33, Pyro Pete said:

As ever, this is more about referees not enforcing the rules.

If a player goes down and doesn't require treatment, his teammates are not allowed to delay the restart of play. If they do, a yellow card is supposed to be shown.

If they do require treatment, the injured player has to go off for treatment and wait at least 30 seconds on the sidelines before rejoining the game. We saw this against Leicester, where the crowd got frustrated by the ref not allowing, whoever it was (I forget), back onto the pitch.

These are new rules:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/july/28/-match-officials-adopt-new-approach-for-2023-24-season/

That's the right idea, but 30 seconds isn't long enough and it'd be more effective as a deterrent if it applied whether or not they needed treatement.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

On 26/09/2023 at 18:10, Capt. Pants said:

Allow on pitch treatment whilst the game is still in play like rugby. No need to stop play. 

Spot on - you don’t generally see this behaviour in the women’s matches. 

On 28/09/2023 at 07:30, littleyellowbirdie said:

Have a rule that, if a player goes to ground and isn't back up in 20 seconds then they should be forced to wait at the side of the pitch for 3 minutes as a precaution after play resumes.

But that penalises players who are genuinely injured. 

Just add the injury time regardless. As said, this gets done when a team is winning, so if they want to waste time, keep adding it on.

On 26/09/2023 at 18:10, Capt. Pants said:

Allow on pitch treatment whilst the game is still in play like rugby. No need to stop play. 

That's a common misconception about rugby, but it is only part of the truth.  In rugby league, at least, the play continues only as long as it is very unlikely the ball will come their way.  as soon as that changes, which basically means when possession changes over, play stops.

In football, the ball moves in much more random directions so there is hardly ever a time when you can say the ball won't come that way.

On 29/09/2023 at 02:58, Canario said:

Switch physios.

Ours tends to their players and theirs to ours.

By far the most entertaining of suggestions and one I fully back 🤪. We could perhaps simply send on our kit man for their injuries !

4 hours ago, East Rider said:

By far the most entertaining of suggestions and one I fully back 🤪. We could perhaps simply send on our kit man for their injuries !

Sort the men from the boys!! Can imagine a pie munching kit man standing over the "corpse" of a CR7 type telling him to stop being such a big girls blouse. 

Could always move to the more extreme sugestión from the fans of just digging a hole in the Carrow turf and disposing of the body. 

Player goes down and just to make sure he's injured the ref kicks him in the shin. Team has to either sub him or play with a man less.

Ding Junhui, the snooker player was fined a frame during his match because he forgot the dress code was all black and he was wearing brown ones. He quickly sent out someone for a black pair but it was too late and he was fined a frame in a seven frame match.

So how about if you feign injury, your team concedes a goal.