Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

I May Have Found A New Stick.

Saw earlier this afternoon on Book of Faces that somebody has had to cancel 3 season tickets because of financial problems as the sale of his house fell through and was charged a total of £75 by the club as an admin fee. Another chap popped up to say he cancelled his due to work committments and he was charged £25.

I understand the club has a certain expense which can be justified to a degree but when you return Away match tickets for whatever reason there is no fee charged in reimbursing your money so what is the difference here ?

Waits for you know who...............

I'm shocked. Person who couldn't afford season tickets charged £25 each to cancel them. 

Try cancelling an insurance policy. My God. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Saw earlier this afternoon on Book of Faces that somebody has had to cancel 3 season tickets because of financial problems as the sale of his house fell through and was charged a total of £75 by the club as an admin fee. Another chap popped up to say he cancelled his due to work committments and he was charged £25.

I understand the club has a certain expense which can be justified to a degree but when you return Away match tickets for whatever reason there is no fee charged in reimbursing your money so what is the difference here ?

Well the club must generate the additional income for Mrs Webbers wages, maybe she’s seen an opportunity for generation of additional income for the club!

Of course three new season tickets will need to be printed and sent out! Maybe it’s for this or is that part of the new season ticket membership fee?

Could be that those three members details have to be changed and edited from the clubs database….

Nah my moneys on the first point! 

Light the fuse!

Edited by Indy

It's in the terms when you take out a season ticket that you'll get refund for the remainder minus £25.  So it is consistent.

Whether it's 'right', I don't know - but it is in the terms as my friend broke up with his wife after she done the dirty, so he cancelled hers, and got the standard £25 charge.  Embarrassingly they had to get her to confirm in writing for it to be cancelled as they wouldn't do so initially.

I guess there's more of a process than just replacing the single ticket?

Edit: The doc is online actually:

https://files.canaries.co.uk/canaries/SeasonTicketsConditionsOfIssue.pdf

Section 3.4

Edited by Google Bot

Just now, Google Bot said:

my friend broke up with his wife and cancelled hers, and got the standard £25 charge.

Probably one of his cheaper bills in that situation! 

I'm shocked too, but this is the way of the world. Many businesses rip off customers in the way of admin charges but I would expect better from NCFC.  This is bad PR for the club and I'm surprised - it's not as if there is any shortage of takers to buy them again.

We live in an age of being ripped off, it's been like it for years, but it's getting worse - just look at the way banks fall over themselves to put up interest rates for lenders, but don't do it for savers, which always used to happen. 

£25 doesn't seem much to some people, but it is a lot if you are struggling to pay bills, which many people are. I'm disgusted, frankly. The club needs to make money, but admin charges are often just another way to make a few quid - and in this case, out of hard up fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Which is perhaps more of a commenton you, than it is the club. I doubt the 'club' took this decsion as a whole. Passed under 'another other business' at a previous board meeting ?

however I would say this charge is disproportionate to any cost involved and is not really necessaty for a multi million pound company. More so given how few (I suspect) cancellations supporters put in. It is not as if having a penalty is likely to be any part of the decision.

I would urge those directly involved to write to the board members.  We, and the club, are better than this.

I’m missing something, as don’t see a huge issue here.  The refund is for the full amount less cost of matches to-date and a £25 charge - so an adult s/t will still get over £400 back.  These fees aren’t hidden so it feels a bit daft to complain about them however high they might be.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m missing something, as don’t see a huge issue here.  The refund is for the full amount less cost of matches to-date and a £25 charge - so an adult s/t will still get over £400 back.  These fees aren’t hidden so it feels a bit daft to complain about them however high they might be.

You would only get money back if you paid in full upfront so if you paid by DD the onus is on you to cancel with your bank which i believe cost the guy a further £15 !

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You would only get money back if you paid in full upfront so if you paid by DD the onus is on you to cancel with your bank which i believe cost the guy a further £15 !

I've no idea how these finances work but how do they get another £25 if you've cancelled the DD with the bank?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't think it costs anything to cancel a DD. 

I think if you pay monthly you start before the season so are always ahead of the actual matches so there is always a surplus. 

Not sure if that would cover the £25.

Edited by Greavsy

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I've no idea how these finances work but how do they get another £25 if you've cancelled the DD with the bank?

You pay DD a month upfront if i remember correctly so you have some credit in your NCFC account i presume.

• Like 1

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

You pay DD a month upfront if i remember correctly so you have some credit in your NCFC account i presume.

Ok, that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Don't think it costs anything to cancel a DD. 

Only reporting from the ever reliable Book of Faces Greavsy.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Only reporting from the ever reliable Book of Faces Greavsy.

Never been charged to cancel a direct debit. 

Unpaid ones yes, but not to cancel.  

Just now, nutty nigel said:

So someone who didn't renew now has the chance to change their mind?

They can join the waiting list like everyone else. 

You're not black-balled for not renewing

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

So someone who didn't renew now has the chance to change their mind?

You never know but Richard Balls may have spotted it.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Never been charged to cancel a direct debit. 

Unpaid ones yes, but not to cancel.  

I can only assume they didn’t tell the club and/or bank in a timely manner - which is surely down to them, but you can often get charges refunded..  In terms of the dd, mine is around £45 a month and you’re well ahead of the cost of games at this point.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Surely top of the list is charging the family of an ex supporter of the year £1,000 for a wake at Carrow Road when their financially challenged position had been featured in the EDP.

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Have you turned over a new leaf?

A very logical argument but will you stick by it?

Feels unnecessary but you agree to it when you buy a season ticket, so complaining after the event feels a bit meh.

Happens in all industries,  yes including those with lots or other revenue sources.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Feels unnecessary but you agree to it when you buy a season ticket, so complaining after the event feels a bit meh.

Happens in all industries,  yes including those with lots or other revenue sources.

Indeed. I think a personal “highlight” is that folk have to pay £680 to go bankrupt. There are reasons for it but it doesn’t really help those in the absolute pits. 

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nobody reads the small print. It can still be deemed illegal. That is why we have consumer rights groups who regularly successfully challenge such things.

As @TIL 1010 states in the OP, consistency of application should be relevant.

Will he be obnoxious in the face of getting my vote?

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Nobody reads the small print. It can still be deemed illegal. That is why we have consumer rights groups who regularly successfully challenge such things.

As @TIL 1010 states in the OP, consistency of application should be relevant.

Will he be obnoxious in the face of getting my vote?

I don’t see any consumer groups campaigning here. It would be pointless - it’s not an onerous clause, it seems not unreasonable. You just want to moan about anything and everything to do with the club.  

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tend to agree with this.

In buying a season ticket you enter into an agreement to pay ‘ x ‘ number of pounds for ‘ y ‘ number of matches. The admin fee is there in the Ts & Cs although most people, including me, barely glance through them. With almost 100% attendances the argument that the club can currently sell any season tickets that become available seems a good one but what if the situation was reversed ? Most Championship clubs have huge swathes of unsold seats so it would be unreasonable to expect clubs in that situation not to impose some sort of exit fee when repaying what was initially guaranteed income.

Unfortunately we now live in a world of charges, levies and fees, unfair or not. One that does seem unfair in one way is the £1.50 levied on casual ticket sales. Fair enough if the ticket has to be posted but a bit rich when you buy the ticket in person.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 2