dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

On 10/09/2023 at 11:59, TIL 1010 said:

Untitled.jpg.f4070e5d282bff1d8fc80159cf3f6101.jpg

Clarence Harbour which back in the day was mainly an away fans pub.

My old local. I remember how much the 'Northern' clubs would complain about the price of a pint. If memory serves me correctly, an additional till used to appear on an away game of which, one suspects, the money bypassed HMRC...

Had many a good night here and is the one very few pubs that if it was still standing - and run properly - would still do well. 

54 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No prawn sandwiches either because bread was still on ration then😉

However there was a shellfish stall near the ground if I remember rightly - ?? outside the Kingsway, or possibly the Clarence Harbour?

Edited by benchwarmer

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The smell from that place was worse than the chocolate factory 

Top trumps…

In the 70s I got a job in the Chemical Factory.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Top trumps…

In the 70s I got a job in the Chemical Factory.

That could explain a few things! 😉 

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have provided these old photos - I love 'em.

Such a different world, I'm 62 and lived in Yarmouth but went to the Carra regularly as a kid and carried on until I left Norfolk to join the RN. I love seeing the way everything was, certainly can't imagine a ground with no barriers having been at the infamous Man U game, but hey, so nice to see everybody indulging in this nostalgia 🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

OK Chaps. Name them.

image.png.9f8ccb7776527926c1ff49415a8954b1.png

If it helps its from Derby away 1964/5 

Just now, Greavsy said:

If it helps its from Derby away 1964/5 

The year of the 5-seat bench shortage. 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

OK Chaps. Name them.

image.png.9f8ccb7776527926c1ff49415a8954b1.png

Kennon and Allcock in the back row and Bolland, Davies and Punton in the front.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Looks like, Phil Kelly, Mike Sutton, Barry Butler, Sandy Kennon, Terry Allcock, Joe Mullett

Don Heath, Gordon Bolland, Ron Davies, Tommy Bryceland, Bill Punton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Looks like, Phil Kelly, Mike Sutton, Barry Butler, Sandy Kennon, Terry Allcock, Joe Mullett

Don Heath, Gordon Bolland, Ron Davies, Tommy Bryceland, Bill Punton.

11/11 spot on

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, komakino said:

If memory serves me correctly, an additional till used to appear on an away game of which, one suspects, the money bypassed HMRC...

The landlord the late Tony Hook certainly had a dislike of banks and HMRC and they him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Herman said:

The year of the 5-seat bench shortage. 

Somebody shouted from the crowd "Tommy, I didn't realise you were as tall as Ron Davies"

This was  probably Norwich City’s greatest ever result against the great Best, Law, Charlton, European Champions, Manchester United.

They played this at the start of MOTD for some time, I seem to recall.

Who was there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/09/2023 at 17:10, benchwarmer said:

There used to be a livestock market on Saturday mornings in the centre of Norwich, where Castle Mall is now.  It started very early and was gone well before midday.  After a heavy session in the pubs which ringed the market, the farmers headed down to Carrow Road.  The City Stand was the only seated area, and that's where they would go - their capacity for alcohol was legendary but some of them could hardly stand upright. 

They viewed the game through the bottom of a glass almost empty and expressed their opinions in no uncertain terms.  We would assess the manager's chances of keeping his job by the number of cushions that came flying out of the stand - more than a dozen before half time and the writing was on the wall . . .

Now this lovely old bor seemed to have things under control....

But then he popped into The Thorn for a couple and this happened...

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This one may stretch the brain cells to infinity but I am sure Ricardo will recognise him.ray-savino-norwich-1961.jpg.40bf4ae6628a3ee0ccbd9e46f05bca9f.jpg

Ray Savino - I think !!!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This one may stretch the brain cells to infinity but I am sure Ricardo will recognise him.ray-savino-norwich-1961.jpg.40bf4ae6628a3ee0ccbd9e46f05bca9f.jpg

Ray Savino.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

This was  probably Norwich City’s greatest ever result against the great Best, Law, Charlton, European Champions, Manchester United.

To be pedantic Sheva Utd became European Champions the following season in 1968.

Edited by TIL 1010

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

To be pedantic Sheva Utd became European Champions the following season in 1968.

Yeah I know,…. won the league that year and only title winners got to play in the European final. Basically that team which Norwich beat, although Kidd replaced  Law,  and got a goal himself, as did world class Charlton and the greatest ever, Georgie Best.

On 19/09/2023 at 19:51, Sheva said:

They played this at the start of MOTD for some time, I seem to recall.

Who was there?

I was, it was my first ever away game.  63,409 packed on the terraces - the FA Cup really meant something in those days. Unforgettable. 

I wasn't at Bayern Munich but it just about tops it for me.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 21:01, TIL 1010 said:

That just took me way too many reads to click you weren't actually talking about a team called Sheva Utd 

On 16/09/2023 at 17:10, benchwarmer said:

There used to be a livestock market on Saturday mornings in the centre of Norwich, where Castle Mall is now.  It started very early and was gone well before midday.  After a heavy session in the pubs which ringed the market, the farmers headed down to Carrow Road.  The City Stand was the only seated area, and that's where they would go - their capacity for alcohol was legendary but some of them could hardly stand upright. 

They viewed the game through the bottom of a glass almost empty and expressed their opinions in no uncertain terms.  We would assess the manager's chances of keeping his job by the number of cushions that came flying out of the stand - more than a dozen before half time and the writing was on the wall . . .

They used to congregate at the Thorpe end of the City Stand - I hope the Snakepit realise they're standing on giants' shoulders . . .