dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

3 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

The newly roofed Olde Barclay I assume?  How I loved emerging through the gates at the top after the climb up the stairs when i was a kid.  Always took up my spot by 1.40 at the latest to enjoy the build up and the atmosphere.

No, that is why I mentioned the absence of the gate between the South Stand and River End.

8 hours ago, K Lo said:

Why were the seats blue & red ?
Did we scavenge them from Barcelona ?

That may have been John Bond's influence. He disliked yellow and green and even had us playing in red and blue against Ipswich in the Keelan testimonial. 

9 hours ago, K Lo said:

Why were the seats blue & red ?
Did we scavenge them from Barcelona ?

I seem to remember the seats being purchased 2nd hand from somewhere else to save money, but I cannot remember from where.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

I seem to remember the seats being purchased 2nd hand from somewhere else to save money, but I cannot remember from where.

Or someone ended up with our yellow and green

14 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

So maybe i was not having a senior moment.

No Tilly, this time I was having the senior moment - I just got all excited about standing in the Barclay as a kid - not that I don't stand now still!  In fact, judging from my current view from behind the goal, I think that I am roughly viewing from a similar position to that where I used to  stand back in the 1960s.

On 14/09/2023 at 18:43, CANARYKING said:

You could buy cushions to sit on however, if things weren’t going too well they would rain down onto the pitch, linesmen were regularly hit on the head.

There used to be a livestock market on Saturday mornings in the centre of Norwich, where Castle Mall is now.  It started very early and was gone well before midday.  After a heavy session in the pubs which ringed the market, the farmers headed down to Carrow Road.  The City Stand was the only seated area, and that's where they would go - their capacity for alcohol was legendary but some of them could hardly stand upright. 

They viewed the game through the bottom of a glass almost empty and expressed their opinions in no uncertain terms.  We would assess the manager's chances of keeping his job by the number of cushions that came flying out of the stand - more than a dozen before half time and the writing was on the wall . . .

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the best picture, it had to be one as annoyingly the chronological order of them runs across both pages. Shows the new jarrold/south stand being built.

20230916_104138.jpg

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Before my time but who was at this game…

IMG_1302.thumb.jpeg.0a0936ea8febec0557bd04601455f98e.jpeg

I was, if I remember correctly it was a midweek game, we had quite a few first team out, win 6 - 0 and Jim Oliver got a hat trick ? May be wrong on all counts, it was a long time ago ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I was, if I remember correctly it was a midweek game, we had quite a few first team out, win 6 - 0 and Jim Oliver got a hat trick ? May be wrong on all counts, it was a long time ago ?

@ricardo has mentioned that game in the past 

10 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

You remember incorrectly CK, it was a Saturday game 9th March 1963. Yes Jimmy Oliver did get three and the other scorers were Conway, Mannion and Allcock. I stood in the South Stand for that game. Stoke won the League that season.

I wondered if you were mixing this game up with a 6-0 win against Birmingham. This was a midweek game but several seasons later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes indeed as this game together with the 5-0 cup replay win v Newcastle in midweek were the first two games i ever attended. Both games i was at the front of the South Stand so i may well be in that photo @nutty nigel

Edited by TIL 1010

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yes indeed as this game together with the 5-0 cup replay win v Newcastle in midweek were the first two games i ever attended. Both games i was at the front of the South Stand so i may well be in that photo @nutty nigel

Matthews was 48 years old when that match was played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

You remember incorrectly CK, it was a Saturday game 9th March 1963. Yes Jimmy Oliver did get three and the other scorers were Conway, Mannion and Allcock. I stood in the South Stand for that game. Stoke won the League that season.

I wondered if you were mixing this game up with a 6-0 win against Birmingham. This was a midweek game but several seasons later.

Thanks Ricardo 

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes, I was there and unusually in the South Stand. From what I remember they had just signed Jimmy McIlroy as well. And I'm sure there was plenty of sand on the pitch. I think we had over 25K for the match, I know it was so packed and as we scored so many I, as a 12 year old, ended up a five yards away from where I started. We had to play a lot of league games and about 5 FA Cup matches that March after the big freeze. And players moan they play too much.

I'm pretty certain Stoke won the title that season.

soccer-fa-cup-third-round-norwich-city-v-arsenal-GCHMWP.thumb.jpg.212e8870923bb358ba8c0c4efb3b2d65.jpg

Clearly the River End and the chap with the umbrella a City mascot but where the Gunners as outlined on the banner fit into this i have no idea or the date.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

I was there to see Stanley play when he must have been close to calling it a day. They did win the title that season. In common with some others I seemed to think it was a midweek evening game - but as stated by Ricardo it wasn't. Rather interestingly 27 days later the highest attendance was recorded 43984. Leicester cup tie. It was slightly cramped!!

On 10/09/2023 at 21:38, Dame to Blame said:

I remember the shop with the half a car in the wall on the way up to the ground on the black cat buses from North Walsham , would love to see a picture of that.

Here you go @Dame to Blame

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

soccer-fa-cup-third-round-norwich-city-v-arsenal-GCHMWP.thumb.jpg.212e8870923bb358ba8c0c4efb3b2d65.jpg

Clearly the River End and the chap with the umbrella a City mascot but where the Gunners as outlined on the banner fit into this i have no idea or the date.

Bloody hell, that's a picture and a half...

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Norwich City FC

Those that know will know and for those that do not Sandy Kennon and Ken Nethercott.

When my mum was a kid Sandy Kennon walked into my mums house once late at night. He lived on the same road and he'd had a few beers and got confused thinking it was his own. He soon got chased away by my gran! I may have imagined this but I have a feeling mum used to babysit his kids, will check when I see her. 

27 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

Thanks Nutty great find , where the hell did you dig that up from ? 

It was on one of the nostalgia facebook groups. I join them all and find pictures for remininscence. It wouldn't have grabbed my attention if it wasn't for your post.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

So this was 'The Blankets' prior to the little blue carriages? Look how happy the supporters are to be there! I can't imagine them spending 90 minutes a-whining and a-whingeing...

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Norwich City FC

Those that know will know and for those that do not Sandy Kennon and Ken Nethercott.

Is that a Brylcreem ad? What a quiff that is.

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So this was 'The Blankets' prior to the little blue carriages? Look how happy the supporters are to be there! I can't imagine them spending 90 minutes a-whining and a-whingeing...

No prawn sandwiches either because bread was still on ration then😉

• Haha 1