Ashwood

Will our game on Sunday go ahead ?

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, I had the same experience with my great grandson when he started with the under elevens. I believe there were three girls in the side who could comfortably hold their own. That gradually diminished as the boys got older and stronger. Now in the under sixteens the girls have all gone and that shouldn't  be a surprise to anyone. I believe two of the girls have moved to an all female team and i am sure there previous experience will hold them in good stead.

In the early years teams its a fairly sporting game but when boys get to fourteen or fifteen they tend to take it more seriously and i have noticed the games becoming much more physical. Thats when it starts becoming difficult for girls to compete on the same level.

Having been involved  with kids footy for many years  , I can back that 100% Ricardo(o).  Puberty is the game changer.  

The Girls game in this area is really taking off, they no longer have to play on boys teams past  age 10 I believe  and that will be lowered to 8 soon as infrastructure  is improved.

Kids playing sport, what's not to like. 

54 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

😲

It's simple

1. Women's football is massively expanding and bringing in a whole new audience. In schools it's capturing a whole new bunch of girls that are getting involved. My goddaughter and her friends love it!

2. It's good for society to encourage this increase in activity that promotes health and well being

3. I confidently predict that women's football is only going to get bigger and should be encouraged.

4. When the games and sport gets bigger, so should the wages paid.

5. If you don't like women's game, let those that do positively improve it and use your energy to improve something else

6. It's massively hypocritical to demand the woman's game pays for itself when the mens game is such a basket case. It smacks of sexism.

Looking forward to NCFC on Sunday.

Ps I work with the games industry.. you quote is tosh!

Spot on.

The audience for the women’s game is different and likely a bigger pool than the men’s game.

I live in Birmingham and whilst I will be travelling down to Norwich my wife, daughter and grandkids will be in a pub watching the England game. Interestingly it wasn’t that easy to get into the main pubs as tickets only and some of the big venues are sold out.

Villa are at home and most Villa supporters I know will be packing the pubs out around the ground from 11.

SKY’s viewing figure for our game tomorrow will be tiny as it would be for any championship game, clashing with this game. Who really wants to go to a game at 12 on a Sunday, even in normal circumstances ?. 
It’s not a case the game should be moved, it’s a case that no game should have been scheduled for this time slot, as there was always as favourites a fair chance England would be playing in the final.

Should England win, SKY will be clambering for interviews from the women and swearing dying allegiance to the women’s game. I bet they are regretting their decision not to televise the event, especially based on the small in comparison cost. 

Edited by Well b back

56 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

😲

It's simple

1. Women's football is massively expanding and bringing in a whole new audience. In schools it's capturing a whole new bunch of girls that are getting involved. My goddaughter and her friends love it!

2. It's good for society to encourage this increase in activity that promotes health and well being

3. I confidently predict that women's football is only going to get bigger and should be encouraged.

5. If you don't like women's game, let those that do positively improve it and use your energy to improve something else

6. It's massively hypocritical to demand the woman's game pays for itself when the mens game is such a basket case. It smacks of sexism.

Decent points. Some needed emphasising.

3 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Can confirm the feeling of few fvccks given at Carrow Road

Because Sky Sports told us women aren't important 😊

On 19/08/2023 at 11:03, Well b back said:

Spot on.

The audience for the women’s game is different and likely a bigger pool than the men’s game.

I live in Birmingham and whilst I will be travelling down to Norwich my wife, daughter and grandkids will be in a pub watching the England game. Interestingly it wasn’t that easy to get into the main pubs as tickets only and some of the big venues are sold out.

Villa are at home and most Villa supporters I know will be packing the pubs out around the ground from 11.

SKY’s viewing figure for our game tomorrow will be tiny as it would be for any championship game, clashing with this game. Who really wants to go to a game at 12 on a Sunday, even in normal circumstances ?. 
It’s not a case the game should be moved, it’s a case that no game should have been scheduled for this time slot, as there was always as favourites a fair chance England would be playing in the final.

Should England win, SKY will be clambering for interviews from the women and swearing dying allegiance to the women’s game. I bet they are regretting their decision not to televise the event, especially based on the small in comparison cost. 

They can't it's part of the 'crown jewels' ruling, it has to be on a free-to-air TV Channel.

https://www.sports.legal/2022/07/changes-to-the-crown-jewel-sports-events-amid-uk-broadcasting-review-an-updated-analysis-of-the-uks-listed-events-regime/#:~:text=In late April%2C the UK,Cup and UEFA European Championships.

In late April, the UK Government announced that the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the UEFA Women’s European Championships are to be protected by the UK listed events regime as “crown jewel” events – attracting the same status in the UK’s listed events regime as the men’s FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships.

These “crown jewel” events are viewed as being events of national importance and, in order to promote as wide an audience as possible, access to such events on free-to-air (FTA) TV channels or services has been protected by the UK’s listed events regime. 

On 19/08/2023 at 10:13, Kenny Foggo said:

😲

It's simple

Looking forward to NCFC on Sunday.

Ps I work with the games industry.. you quote is tosh!

Points 4 and 6

Out of interest, how much of the Norwich City budget would you like spent on the female team? Where would you cut the budget elsewhere or do you suggest we increase ticket prices?

Please don't reply with empty rhetoric or abuse, try to answer a perfectly reasonable question. 

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

They can't it's part of the 'crown jewels' ruling, it has to be on a free-to-air TV Channel.

https://www.sports.legal/2022/07/changes-to-the-crown-jewel-sports-events-amid-uk-broadcasting-review-an-updated-analysis-of-the-uks-listed-events-regime/#:~:text=In late April%2C the UK,Cup and UEFA European Championships.

In late April, the UK Government announced that the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the UEFA Women’s European Championships are to be protected by the UK listed events regime as “crown jewel” events – attracting the same status in the UK’s listed events regime as the men’s FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships.

These “crown jewel” events are viewed as being events of national importance and, in order to promote as wide an audience as possible, access to such events on free-to-air (FTA) TV channels or services has been protected by the UK’s listed events regime. 

They said that about the cricket...

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Points 4 and 6

Out of interest, how much of the Norwich City budget would you like spent on the female team? Where would you cut the budget elsewhere or do you suggest we increase ticket prices?

Please don't reply with empty rhetoric or abuse, try to answer a perfectly reasonable question. 

That’s not the issue. The sport is growing on a global level massively and rapidly. There is money to be made by clubs that invest as we have seen with the EPL. Failing to see this opportunity and growing market and try to exploit it is just poor business sense. While England sit near the top of the sport, we should try very hard to push our women’s side to a status that taps into the market. Now all the financial talk that is horrible and pretty anti-football tbh is dealt with let’s address the fact that having investment in the women’s team also increases the volume of the interested fanbase and subsequent inspiration to a generation of young girls in Norfolk - that and the extra sales of merchandise. Imagine Attanasio grows our USA profile and we get canary fans across the pond? You’d have to be pretty obtuse and limited not to see all of these positive reasons for developing and investing the budget positively towards the women’s team. 

Like all novelties, it will wear off. What is booming is the sale of football kits, and sundry stuff.

When I see school playgrounds where there are dozens of girls playing football during break/lunchtime. When I see a dozen or more girls playing down the local rec then I might be persuaded that this is as some are claiming.

This is just offering kids something to be part of, just as with brownies and guides. They can affirm that involvement with the uniform that goes with it. The supposed hordes of supporters watching at North Walsham club house were almost all kids, but with an England shirt on.  Don't mistake the need to not feel excluded with a desire to play competitive sport.

Attendances at some games have been high, down to accessibility. Low ticket prices.  Which demonstrates that whatever it is, women's football will always be a minority participating sport at the professional level. At the ground level it will continue to face the inevitable drop off at age 12 or so. Yet the idiots on here screech that it is the world cup. It should be regarded as the most important thing in the UK because England are in the final.

Well, there is also another World Cup (championship) taking place. A UK woman DID win gold. Ask the average young girl who it was who won gold and I suspect very few would be able to answer with the correct name. Were there hysterical shrieks for Sunak, Prince William, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury, uncle Tom Cobble and all to fly out to Budapest ?

As stated before, this game had almost the same levels of hysteria around it in the UK as witnessed after the death of Diana. An expression of non interest was met by some Middle East type levels of vilification. Disinterest equated to outright opposition. As has any reasoned argument, pointing out the uncomfortable realities.

Sadly, I expect the arguments to get ever more absurd, if they are not now.  However, like the ice bucket challenge, tattoos and beards on men this current fad will die off, sooner than many think. For those who continue, then good luck. Enjoy what you do and long may it thrive. But when the winter sets in and your game is like a village game watched by one man and his dog on a wet afternoon then you will know you are there for the enjoyment the game brings you, not the hype others once drummed up. 

• Like 1

How long before some 6 feet bearded bloke identifies as a woman to make the squad

Edited by daly

10 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

That’s not the issue. The sport is growing on a global level massively and rapidly. There is money to be made by clubs that invest as we have seen with the EPL. Failing to see this opportunity and growing market and try to exploit it is just poor business sense. While England sit near the top of the sport, we should try very hard to push our women’s side to a status that taps into the market. Now all the financial talk that is horrible and pretty anti-football tbh is dealt with let’s address the fact that having investment in the women’s team also increases the volume of the interested fanbase and subsequent inspiration to a generation of young girls in Norfolk - that and the extra sales of merchandise. Imagine Attanasio grows our USA profile and we get canary fans across the pond? You’d have to be pretty obtuse and limited not to see all of these positive reasons for developing and investing the budget positively towards the women’s team. 

I'm afraid it is the issue. Good try at avoiding the question but I'm afraid the devil is always in the detail. 

As I've said before I try to avoid discussing the Women's game as it's not of interest to me at its current standard and I dont feel the need to slag it off for the sake of it, but regarding what this topic was all about, ie Norwich fans concerns at missing part of the match, do people still think it was an issue? As despite it being on around the concourse it didn't seem to me like many people were bothered with it?

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

As I've said before I try to avoid discussing the Women's game as it's not of interest to me at its current standard and I dont feel the need to slag it off for the sake of it, but regarding what this topic was all about, ie Norwich fans concerns at missing part of the match, do people still think it was an issue? As despite it being on around the concourse it didn't seem to me like many people were bothered with it?

I can only comment about the part of the ground I was n and there were a lot of people watching the first half of the game in the concourse, at half time of the England game it looked like the majority took to their seats for our game. It was noticeable that there were a lot of empty seats in the Jerrold Stand, and the River End, Barclay looked full, can't comment on our stand other than the area we sit only had a couple of empty seats. Now the empty seats could just be down to people being on their hols, it would be interesting to know what the actual attendance was (bums on seats) rather than the "official" attendance of tickets sold.......

14 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I can only comment about the part of the ground I was n and there were a lot of people watching the first half of the game in the concourse, at half time of the England game it looked like the majority took to their seats for our game. It was noticeable that there were a lot of empty seats in the Jerrold Stand, and the River End, Barclay looked full, can't comment on our stand other than the area we sit only had a couple of empty seats. Now the empty seats could just be down to people being on their hols, it would be interesting to know what the actual attendance was (bums on seats) rather than the "official" attendance of tickets sold.......

Indeed the Club's Supporters Charter states that:

'The Club is committed to the principle of maximising revenue by encouraging high attendances'

What is unclear is whether they mean high declared attendances or high real attendances?

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

'The Club is committed to the principle of maximising revenue by encouraging high attendances'

What is unclear is whether they mean high declared attendances or high real attendances?

I know that the number of tickets sold for the Millwall game was 26,218, I personally do not think that there were that number in the ground due to all sorts of reasons, just wondered what the actual attendance was, I would guess around the 22/23K mark. I am not interested in your campaign against NCFC, all that charter stuff is not why I asked the question, just interested in the actuall attendance v the official attendance. If you are that worried about meeting the Charter take it up with NCFC all though I would have thought over 26K tickets sold is a fantastic effort on the clubs part..........

15 minutes ago, essex canary said:

'maximising revenue' is achieved by selling tickets, if those people who purchased the ticket do not turn up it's their choice.

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I know that the number of tickets sold for the Millwall game was 26,218, I personally do not think that there were that number in the ground due to all sorts of reasons, just wondered what the actual attendance was, I would guess around the 22/23K mark. I am not interested in your campaign against NCFC, all that charter stuff is not why I asked the question, just interested in the actuall attendance v the official attendance. If you are that worried about meeting the Charter take it up with NCFC all though I would have thought over 26K tickets sold is a fantastic effort on the clubs part..........

Clearly there were many vacant seats yesterday for various reasons that were easily predictable. My question of the Club is why, in such a match, could they not offer a pro-rata season ticket price refund to anyone who wants one then attempt to resell the seats to many of the families who want to go but struggle to get seats together of which there were plenty. Such a strategy may cost them a little money but would have been a goodwill approach given the challenges supporters face. Bear in mind also rhat when the sky facility fee is included the Club revenue for the match is higher than would otherwise have been the case.

Remember also that 15 or so years ago the Club were in the habit of announcing the percentage actual attendance so more transparency then than now,

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

'maximising revenue' is achieved by selling tickets, if those people who purchased the ticket do not turn up it's their choice.

Could be illness, even medium term illness, that prevents someone else the chance to go. That someone else may add to Club revenue streams.

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Clearly there were many vacant seats yesterday for various reasons that were easily predictable. My question of the Club is why, in such a match, could they not offer a pro-rata season ticket price refund to anyone who wants one then attempt to resell the seats to many of the families who want to go but struggle to get seats together of which there were plenty. Such a strategy may cost them a little money but would have been a goodwill approach given the challenges supporters face. Bear in mind also rhat when the sky facility fee is included the Club revenue for the match is higher than would otherwise have been the case.

Remember also that 15 or so years ago the Club were in the habit of announcing the percentage actual attendance so more transparency then than now,

An absolute logistical nightmare.

This a proposal from someone who hasn't really thought their idea through, possibly due to their judgement being completely bonkers.

Edited by A Load of Squit

48 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was in the South Stand, There was about 15 people paying attention to the TV prior to the game where I was enjoying a beer, and not an empty seat to be seen (J Block) at kick off with absolutely no one checking phones for the score.

Like I said that might not have been the case all over, but it does seem the fury on here when the women got to the final about the 'crisis of decision' with Norwich fans was massively over played and moving the game (I know Nutty, I know) would have been nonsense at such short notice.

My social media for example had 2 mentions from people watching the game, good luck to the women moving forward but it does seem to me the actual interest is being massively overplayed.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

An absolute logistical nightmare.

This a proposal from someone who hasn't really thought their idea through, possibly due to their judgement being completely bonkers.

Arsenal have a Ticket Exchange system. Admittedly it says for sold out matches. The question then is how 'sold-out' is defined which reasonably must stop short of selling every single individual restricted view ticket.

What would truly be bonkers is to spend excessively on ground expansion when there are other potential solutions.

Strange isn’t it, a part of the game is growing and for whatever reasons there is disapproval and objections in some quarters. Below I have put a link to the history of women’s football, that in the 1920’s attracted bigger crowds than the men’s game. Those that know the history will know the FA to all intents and purposes, banned women’s football, by banning them from playing on FA affiliated pitches. It was believed at the time that this was largely down to the government who wanted to stop the women raising money in support of striking miners. Who knows, had this not happened, which of the two games would have become bigger.

We must also remember that the potential fan bases are slightly different. The fan base for the women’s game is potentially much bigger than the men’s for numerous reasons, that will include cost and the actual day out itself. That fan base is not going to the games to watch football played at its highest level, they are going for a day out. Who knows where this will lead, maybe as FIFA are hoping it will drift away, maybe the support will get so big, those with the money will have to invest. 
Surely the growth of Women’s football will grow football in general, both men’s and women’s. I suspect we have all spoken to somebody in the last week that hated football, that has had a chat about football.

https://www.history.co.uk/articles/when-womens-football-was-bigger-than-mens#:~:text=For those who still like,forcibly curtailed by the FA.

4 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Arsenal have a Ticket Exchange system. Admittedly it says for sold out matches. The question then is how 'sold-out' is defined which reasonably must stop short of selling every single individual restricted view ticket.

What would truly be bonkers is to spend excessively on ground expansion when there are other potential solutions.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Go back and read your post, if you can't see where you are failing then you should delete your account.

26 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Could be illness, even medium term illness, that prevents someone else the chance to go. That someone else may add to Club revenue streams.

I’ve offered my ticket for sale through the club a few times last year ( as it was so s*** ). Not one time was it resold.

11 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I’ve offered my ticket for sale through the club a few times last year ( as it was so s*** ). Not one time was it resold.

Yet other people will say that it has worked well for them. Once again no transparency. Do we have unmet demand or don't we?

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Yet other people will say that it has worked well for them. Once again no transparency. Do we have unmet demand or don't we?

Nah I always offered it for free first, the football was so s*** nobody wanted to go.

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Nah I always offered it for free first, the football was so s*** nobody wanted to go.

The free targets seem to be the London overspill estates of Thetford. Not sure how many Norwich or potential Norwich fans there are in that location?

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The free targets seem to be the London overspill estates of Thetford. Not sure how many Norwich or potential Norwich fans there are in that location?

I used to work in Thetford,  approximately half of the workforce were either Norwich or Ipswich, the Thetford is full of Londoners isn't overly true anymore, it's onto 3rd generation from that massive influx of cockneys in the 70s and 80s, many of their kids etc support Norwich,  in fact you're just as likely to find a Benfica fan now than a Spurs one, in fact Norwich have done well in gaining Portugese support.