Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Canaries V Red-Whites*

Agreed but if Wagner runs true to form 4 subs on 70 mins.  Although as PSF 11 changes for second half will give DW an ****.

13 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

So is the first XI.    So uninspired by this squad.    None of them are EPL quality and our younger players need to be playing.  

I don't think this is a side we'll be crowing about individuals from. This team will stand or fall on it's ability to act as a team unit. Hard work and discipline without flair and technical ability is going to be the corner stone of this team. It can be successful. I'm not sure myself it will be in this case. 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'None of them are Premier league quality'

Good Thing we aren't in the Premier Leauge then

It sure is … but no doubt you’ll mention the words promotion plenty of times during the next few months.

We need to be developing players who can go up and compete…. Duffy, Gibson, Giannoulis, McLean, Hernandez, Barnes and Sargent definitely can’t do that for various reasons (age and / or quality) and clearly Stacey isn’t in great demand at that level.    Looks like we will be relying on the experience to get us results over developing the model.    Sad, but we’re going nowhere and wasting time trying.  

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Injured ones or crap ones?   

We need better coaches, better recruitment and a plan.   We need a mix of brawn, quality and youth…. Not this bunch of journeymen that are starting today.   Where going nowhere. 

No, good ones - the ones that without you don’t get promoted: see every promoted side for years.

You moan about the squad, and then refuse to contemplate the easiest way to add to it. Bizarre isn’t the word.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, good ones - the ones that without you don’t get promoted: see every promoted side for years.

You moan about the squad, and then refuse to contemplate the easiest way to add to it. Bizarre isn’t the word.

Don't try and argue with the simpletons, Pickles. Not worth the fuss. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So Tzolis is being made to play with the under 21's. Bizzare.

Are we officially a basket case yet?

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's ridiculous.

Could be plenty of reasons. One being we want him to get a full 90 before the season seeing as he hasn't had a lot of minutes in pre season.

Of course I think he's just off though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Could be plenty of reasons. One being we want him to get a full 90 before the season seeing as he hasn't had a lot of minutes in pre season.

But then why play him if he might get injured? Unless the paperwork is already signed, but then I doubt if the buying club would want to take the risk.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

He’s not exactly pulled up any trees in pre season - they are clearly still not sure on him.

You’d expect I’m him to star for the u21 side and look a class above - my betting is that he won’t. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

We had a plan to develop teams… that’s the only way we could compete in top 26 (they said).    That plan wasn’t far off working but to compete it relies on development of a deep and good enough squad…. No point going up if we can’t compete.   I’d be all for loans to help if it didn’t stop us developing the team, but they haven’t helped us.    

Id rather stay in this league and be competitive than go up and embarrass ourselves.    But even if we’re staying in this league (and we are) I’d like to see us try to develop for a future go at the EPL with our players, not just hackneyed journeymen and loans getting in the way.    We have a decent academy facility, decent youth potential and they aren’t getting enough football to progress.    

With your route, if we got promoted with this team and loans…. We’d need to change the whole lot.     

Burnley loaned players but bought many cheap options too and the manager found a way to develop them into a very good football team with youth and vibrant football.    A bit like Farke did.    Many of them are going to have a chance this season and will likely continue to develop.  They’ve also spent nearly £80m plus wages on new players to help that process.   Something we can’t and won’t do, so you’re talking absolute garbage if you think our loans make sense on the same level that Burnley’s do.   

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So Tzolis is being made to play with the under 21's. Bizzare.

Could just be a case of getting him a full 90 under his belt. Downside of pre-season friendlies is that there's often a lot of switching and swapping and we do have a big squad with seemingly only Lungi, Sainz and Hanley out.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Could just be a case of getting him a full 90 under his belt.

He could get 90mins under his belt here instead of a headless chicken running the ball out of play, shooting when should be crossing etc, drilling a pass along the floor when it needs some height in it. 

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

He could get 90mins under his belt here instead of a headless chicken running the ball out of play, shooting when should be crossing etc, drilling a pass along the floor when it needs some height in it. 

Doesn't really matter in pre-season if it's the U21s or the seniors. A full game the week before the opener is gonna be useful for anyone in the seniors to sharpen up.

EDIT: Same principle applies when bringing players back from injury. They'll not stay match-sharp if they're not playing matches. Tzolis looks like he's fit, so keep him having plenty of match time. At the same time, Wagner's got to keep everyone else sharp.

Edited by TheGunnShow

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Don't try and argue with the simpletons, Pickles. Not worth the fuss. 

I’m no simpleton.    As I just said to Branston…..

Burnley loaned players but bought many cheap options too and the manager found a way to develop them into a very good football team with youth and vibrant football.    A bit like Farke did.    Many of them are going to have a chance this season and will likely continue to develop.  They’ve also spent nearly £80m plus wages on new players to help that process.   Something we can’t and won’t do, so you’re talking absolute garbage if you thinkour loans make sense on the same level that Burnley’s do.  

We’d need a whole new team…. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Deflection into awful goalkeeping🤣

I'm not sure you can call it awful goalkeeping. It was going one way, deflected to go the other. He did well IMO to change direction mid flight and get a hand on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's so nice seeing a Norwich side playing with intensity and a clear plan again.

Who said 442 was a thing of the past?

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

Fitness is done in training, the clue is in the word. And as the result is not important, games like this are used to see how players perform in a match environment, and how well they perform with the others.

Match fitness is done in matches - the clue is in the word!  

• Like 1

We'll be a better team unit this year with the likes of Barnes, Duffy, and Stacey - it's just so boring to watch.

We've been very lucky in the past 20 years or so, that we've always had a No. 10 or creative player to enjoy and hence the excitement of watching football. Some might argue it's the 'Norwich way' to have this type of player and play this type of football. 

We'll be fine this season, we won't get relegated but it'll be another slog of a season to watch I fear. 

What do.fans want. This year looks.like.Wagner is setting us up.to be more solid, hard to beat, but not exciting.

Last year we were weak and folded every game. Maybe we need to give Wagner time, build.a solid platform and develop it as time.goes on with better players

Looked strong and realky effective in the period leading upto the goal with Stacey doing good work down the right. After that started to sit back and again panic when pressed near our own box, Duffy nearly blew it with a terrible clearance and then gunn with another with all the defenders under the press. Wagner has to find a way to get us out of jail when the opposition plays the high press, in that respect we haven’t learnt from last season. 

• Like 1