Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Were they worth it ?

Ben Godfrey, Jamal Lewis and Josh Murphy

Certainly good players, but they do look way overpriced, as does Buendia.

Aarons maybe more years on the clock but has the proven experience of regular U21 games. Omo has a coup of years less on the clock and full Irish international experience. What price then those two ?

15 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Ben Godfrey, Jamal Lewis and Josh Murphy

Certainly good players, but they do look way overpriced, as does Buendia.

Aarons maybe more years on the clock but has the proven experience of regular U21 games. Omo has a coup of years less on the clock and full Irish international experience. What price then those two ?

Depends really doesn’t it, the British transfers do seem to be overinflated in price anyway and you always pay more if a player is on a longer contract. 

also depends how deal is structured if more money upfront then tends to be a lower price than if in instalments and club have previously been clever with add ons etc which is common place in todays game 

aarons 10-15m 

Omo 15-20m  

purely on contract and position basis 

as for the aforementioned previous players all about right in todays market, Buendia starting to show his worth 

Not sure if Buendia is overpriced...but Lewis and Godfrey were part of a championship winning team that still let 55 goals in. Lewis has clearly been found out at newcastle/premier league level. Godfrey was never a good defender

• Like 3

Buendia wasn't overpriced, this idea he hasn't done well at Villa does my head in.

Gerrard, who is an idiot, had no idea how to use him and thus is reduced to managing in Saudi Arabia. Emery, a competent manager, made him a key part of his team who finished comfortably top half last season.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Length of contract is minor to age. Duffy looks better than Omo, so why is one '£15 - £20m' and the other a free ? Very few fees are paid up front. I would venture virtually none. That is what cripples many relegated PL clubs.TV money is also paid in instalements, albeit monthly, so very few clubs have tthat much money sat around. What they do have is money owed to spent against.

A few years back City accounts showed we owed around £22m and wwere owed around the same.. A sell on clause will usually add a bit more, as in with a protected no claim bonus with car insurance.

The OP was written with hiundsight though.  I expect Everton believed Godfrey would go on to be an England CB, as we though Van Winkle would be a world class player .... some you win etc

Villa friend really rates Buendia and thinks this year he could be their star player. Probably priced right at the time but could look cheap in a couple years time.

I think Webber did a really good job with the money he got for the others

Young, promising talent costs a lot of money, it's just how it is. All came from championship winning teams and were worth what someone was willing to pay for them. Both Godfrey and Jamal don't appear to have developed much, with Ben obviously being out injured for a decent chunk. Jamal has been a bit caught out by the buyout but even after all this time has failed to impress. I feel for him, he just wasn't PL ready and never looked it. 

As for Emi, as King Canary said above, in the right system he will shine no doubt and he'll look worth every penny. 

Aarons stock probably isn't as high anymore mainly because we as a team are not doing so well. Individually he's looked a bit jaded since the end of the Farke era. Omo, whilst still having a lot to learn, looks very natural and should also have a decent future at this or potentially PL level. I imagine both will go for around 10m each if they do depart. 

31 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not sure if Buendia is overpriced...but Lewis and Godfrey were part of a championship winning team that still let 55 goals in. Lewis has clearly been found out at newcastle/premier league level. Godfrey was never a good defender

We certainly got top dollar for him, particularly as Villa didn't have any competition for his signature.

Just now, BigFish said:

We certainly got top dollar for him, particularly as Villa didn't have any competition for his signature.

Not true (from memory). Right until the last minute Arsenal were in for him but Webber was quoted as saying Villa offered the better structured deal from our perspective. 

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Not true (from memory). Right until the last minute Arsenal were in for him but Webber was quoted as saying Villa offered the better structured deal from our perspective. 

So who would you go for, Odegaard or Buendia, Not really close is it, Arsenal were never serious.

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Buendia wasn't overpriced, this idea he hasn't done well at Villa does my head in.

Agree.

And even if he had failed there, he was still worth more than £35M to us.

Buendia has had a decent pre season and under Emery I think he’ll prove his worth this year. 

Would imagine Godfrey will end up back in the Championship unless someone like Sheff Utd pick him up late in the window and probably on a season long loan. How the mighty have fallen me thinks.  

15 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Would imagine Godfrey will end up back in the Championship unless someone like Sheff Utd pick him up late in the window and probably on a season long loan. How the mighty have fallen me thinks.  

I'm really tempted to set it all off again by asking why Godfrey hasn't been tried as a defensive midfielder. But I'd better not, it could go on for pages and pages

• Haha 1

Some crazy transfer fee estimates on here for Aarons and Omo (£10-15m and £15-20m) 

Both had really average seasons 22/23 and anybody tracking them week by week would have seen this

£5m + add-ons more realistic 

When you look at Prem transfer fees going over £100m then no, I don't think they look overpriced.  Some transfers work out and others don't, that's the way it goes.

Also if you look back at that promotion, it was our defenders who attracted the most interest, even though the defence let in a lot of goals for a side that won the title.  The reason is simple, because the defenders had obvious talent/potential given their age and relative inexperience.  And Lewis/Godfrey have both played a lot more in the Prem than the rest of that promotion squad.

Fact is that when SW made it clear that two of our players were up for sale, doesn’t put you in the driving seat to get the best price. If these two are as good as some think, then other clubs would approach us first.

It give the appearance of being a fire-sale, which is just what it is.