Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

European Heatwave

3 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

What possess people to deliberately start these fires. Hopefully the culprits will face adequate justice 

There's a few of them about.

4 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Stop the small boats! No, hang on, this time it's British tourists fleeing danger. Start the small boats!

The Greeks stop plenty of small boats on the Med. The key point you're missing is the difference between tourists and illegal migrants.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/19/greek-government-under-fire-after-video-shows-pushback-of-asylum-seekers

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

This arsonist needs to be stopped!

BBC News - Corfu latest Greek island to evacuate over wildfires

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66286099

Radio 4 reported that in Greece wildfire warnings have been issued in half the country.

This pesky arsonist is really getting about!

I’m not sure why you have such a flippant attitude to what is potentially a serious offence 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-greece-rhodes-fires-firefighters-30534110

https://neoskosmos.com/en/2023/07/24/news/greece/local-man-questioned-for-alleged-arson-as-fires-engulf-rhodes-greece/

Vassilis Vathrakogiannis, from the Rhodes Fire Department, said: "Fires are set by human hands. Whether it is due to negligence or fraud will be seen (but) people have been summoned for statements and others will be summoned. As soon as we have complete information - because the investigation is in full swing, we will make announcements."

Edited by Virtual reality

One lot are fleeing bullets and bombs and one lot are fleeing fires. The only difference is what is trying to kill them.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

If you ever wonder why there is still a lot of cynicism and scepticism about the climate disaster, even with the amount of evidence to hand, this may explain why.

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/07/20/the-tory-donor-soviet-born-billionaire-and-fossil-fuel-interests-bankrolling-british-politics/

The biggest reason to vote tactically next year. These people have owned American politics for many years and by stealth they are trying to buy ours. The funding would dry up if our political right wing is marginalised. 

I'm convinced that the majority of people in this country just want sensible, moderate government. I'm sure LYB will tell us that only PR will give us that. I doubt PR will happen any time soon but voting tactically on a massive scale at the forthcoming election is the next best thing. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Radio 4 reported that in Greece wildfire warnings have been issued in half the country.

https://hellas.postsen.com/local/435722/Fire-in-Corfu-Arson-denounces-the-mayor-–-Ash-over-20000-acres.html

Desperate and pathetic. You can clearly see something really bad is going on but you'd rather scrabble around in the dirt looking for excuses. Sort yourself out man. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Desperate and pathetic. You can clearly see something really bad is going on but you'd rather scrabble around in the dirt looking for excuses. Sort yourself out man. 

Hardly scratching around, it’s easy to find. Apologies that the facts don’t fit the narrative that you want them to though…

5 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Hardly scratching around, it’s easy to find. Imagine getting triggered by someone pointing out that a criminal offence has occurred that has killed wildlife and taken peoples homes and businesses. Apologies that the facts don’t fit the narrative that you want them to though…

Come to NR 2, 15c and a bit wet.

Summer may return in mid August if long tèrm forecasts are correct.

Fingers crossed.

Well, that month in central Germany, and the ridiculous heat that was the defining feature of it, definitely confirmed the childfree status of both Miss TGS and myself. Thank f**k we never wanted kids!

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

People confusing weather and climate.

It's much worse than that, there are people confusing arson with climate change.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's much worse than that, there are people confusing arson with climate change.

How far do you think the fires would have spread without the extreme heat? Has it not crossed your mind that wild fires spread in extreme temperatures? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The trouble is we really have no control over it. No matter how well the odd country like the UK does getting to net zero, the big players who aren't doing anything will still end up wrecking the joint anyway.

A lot of people dying is just inevitable. The priority has to be making sure you and those you care about aren't among them.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How far do you think the fires would have spread without the extreme heat? Has it not crossed your mind that wild fires spread in extreme temperatures? 

I agree with you, I was trying to point out the desperation of the climate change sceptics view that arson is a valid counter argument.

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I agree with you, I was trying to point out the desperation of the climate change sceptics view that arson is a valid counter argument.

Sorry!! 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In Greece, In the height of summer? I’d have thought it would spread quite far, wouldn’t you? The real question you should be asking is why have these fires been set now, and by who.

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

In Greece, In the height of summer? I’d have thought it would spread quite far, wouldn’t you? The real question you should be asking is why have these fires been set now, and by who.

Leaving aside the wildfires in Greece, do you believe that man-made climate change is real?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Leaving aside the wildfires in Greece, do you believe that man-made climate change is real?

Absolutely. But fires set deliberately shouldn’t be used to push an agenda, we just need honest debate and facts not propaganda and fear pushing 

46 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Whether it is or not, we do have to do our best to help if it really is.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Whether it is or not, we do have to do our best to help if it really is.

No harm can come from pushing for clean sources of energy. The jury is out for me on electric cars but each to their own. What we don’t want is the constant media fear pushing agenda shoved down our throats 24/7 again 

• Like 1

On 17/07/2023 at 19:56, Barbe bleu said:

What's the point of that? If we stop producing hydrocarbons and do nothing else we just increase the wealth, power and influence of a lot of countries we probably don't see eye to eye with.

I'm all for tackling global warming, but we need to work on demand side reductions: by reducing usage with efficiency messures and investing in green alternatives. Just shutting down domestic production of oil won't acheive anything good.

I agree with most of your post to be fair. JSO is keeping the issue in the papers, I suppose that is kind of good.  But they are so unlikeable I fear that column inches won't transfer into action.

Green issues are quite easy for politicians to drop. Cameron did it when he no longer wanted to hug a husky and 'radical' SKS  seems to be rowing quickly away from some of his 'commitments'. For green policies to stick they have to work harder than most.  We were close before 2008 but now I feel that even though JSO is getting attention I don't see it turning into a vote winning subject.

And that's even before we talk about whether or not JSO is feeding the climate denial lunacy of the type that was pretty much extinct 10 years ago.

JSO have improved no doubt (though their start set the bsr real low) but they still need to work on their aims and their approach.  They could be a real force for positive change, or they could be a club primarily for middle aged white people looking for a purpose,  any purpose, in life. Its their choice.

You would think the eco-loons would stop and think what happens to the oil that we no longer use. Do they think it just stays in the ground? Obviously, it gets sold to other countries and no doubt at a discount to the amount we paid. Us not burning oil has absolutely no effect on the amount of oil being produced and we just increase our own energy costs, particularly when compared to oil using nations.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Rhodes too hot? Why not try summer in Berlin?

That's just some bloke mucking about with a hose. Nothing to see here.😉

• Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 00:13, Pyro Pete said:

He burst all the dams in India and Pakistan causing some of the worst ever floods.