Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

European Heatwave

Is anyone there or just back? How bad is it? 

The climate is getting pretty scary nowadays and SKS saying how he hates tree huggers is a huge concern that Labour will do nothing remotely green when they get in power.

• Sad 1

He made himself look stupid again by refusing to say anything other than we have some great ideas and plans. And he refused to say how he would reward NHS Junior Doctors etc.

If he can't tell us about the economy etc he is unlikely to say anything other than platitudes about a Green future.

All he is telling us how terrible the Tories are. Even the Tories knows that.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Agreed KG. I think he's misjudged the public on climate though. People are getting genuinely concerned now, and rightly so. This year it seems to have gone mad and this is just the beginning as we're only at 1.2c. Imagine what 2c might be like!

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

People are getting genuinely concerned now 

What a few loonies like the following you mean?:

I'm truly amazed, I didn't know that these orange tabards they all wear were made from natural materials as I foolishly thought they were synthetics derived from oil 🙃

I also note that Mr Loud-mouth referred to predictions by "the Met Office, the people who do the weather reports" when all the other eco-loons are at pains to tell us that weather predictions are not to be confused with climate predictions and that only fools conflate the two. The reason for not conflating weather predictions with climate predictions is simply this: Weather predictions even only 5 days into the future are notoriously wrong yet we are expected to accept that climate predictions are spectacularly accurate, like Michael Mann's fraudulent 'hockey-stick graph', or this effort from the 'experts' at the BBC in 1974:

ac7f2974-cf5d-4312-bb6a-0232aa63edbb-fdea26c4-4886-4b01-a862-5f06f61021e6

Not to mention my copy of a BBC publication in !977:

6cc03644-9351-4b4b-8526-5ae5bec03878-105e21d4-84cc-4f23-9165-c568fe5240c8

9 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

What a few loonies like the following you mean?:

I'm truly amazed, I didn't know that these orange tabards they all wear were made from natural materials as I foolishly thought they were synthetics derived from oil 🙃

I also note that Mr Loud-mouth referred to predictions by "the Met Office, the people who do the weather reports" when all the other eco-loons are at pains to tell us that weather predictions are not to be confused with climate predictions and that only fools conflate the two. The reason for not conflating weather predictions with climate predictions is simply this: Weather predictions even only 5 days into the future are notoriously wrong yet we are expected to accept that climate predictions are spectacularly accurate, like Michael Mann's fraudulent 'hockey-stick graph', or this effort from the 'experts' at the BBC in 1974:

ac7f2974-cf5d-4312-bb6a-0232aa63edbb-fdea26c4-4886-4b01-a862-5f06f61021e6

Not to mention my copy of a BBC publication in !977:

6cc03644-9351-4b4b-8526-5ae5bec03878-105e21d4-84cc-4f23-9165-c568fe5240c8

Oh hooky. I do like the way you stand up for your beliefs on here.  But this is tin foil hat stuff.    Science and technology has moved on since 1974. For about 40 years the possibility of global warming resulting from co2 emissions has been part of a general consensus

You'll be campaigning against the WEF, refusing to use a bank account and avoiding vaccines next..

For what it's worth I think JSO are setting their cause back years just to feed their own needs and egos and have learnt nothing since the 70s. But just because I have a negative view of their campaigning doesn't mean there isn't something in what they say. We don't always need to go straight from one extreme to another.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Oh hooky. I do like the way you stand up for your beliefs on here.  But this is tin foil hat stuff.    Science and technology has moved on since 1974. For about 40 years the possibility of global warming resulting from co2 emissions has been part of a general consensus

You'll do campaigning against the WEF, refusing to use a bank account and avoiding vaccines next..

For what it's worth I think JSO are setting their cause back years just to feed their own needs and egos and have learnt nothing since the 70s. But just because I have a negative view of their campaigning doesn't mean there isn't something in what they say. We don't always need to go straight from one extreme to another.

985dd8ef-f03b-45e9-b423-034e332bb6ea-3057400e-381e-4a79-b77a-baa62ec184bd

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Three quotes from 2010, 1988 and 1991. **** me what an idiot you are.

He's been regurgitating nonsense from the right wing think tanks etc.for a very long time. He's either a paid shill, a useful idiot or simply thick as pig ****.

3 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Wow. I thought all the loons were just Russian bots on Twitter, I had no idea these people actually existed. Staggeringly ignorant.

He thinks the earth is flat to and Trump was a model president.

9 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

You'll be campaigning against the WEF, refusing to use a bank account and avoiding vaccines next..

Agree with nearly all of that but I'm not sure JSO are setting their cause back years. I understand that climate change deniers among others find them irritating but they are getting the issue on the front pages and there are now regular phone ins on national radio. They are making it a subject that it's hard to avoid. I don't think standing outside supermarkets or in the centre of Norwich handing out leaflets would even make the EDP. So I'd encourage them to carry on until politicians start to act. The problem is that the politicians won't act. 

The criticism I do have of JSO is that the UK isn't a problem in the grand scheme of things and it's hard to justify their actions when we are only 1% contributors to global warming. It's a global problem and they should be joining in global protests. If protestors around the world went after airports and sea ports politicians might just take notice. 

10 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

985dd8ef-f03b-45e9-b423-034e332bb6ea-3057400e-381e-4a79-b77a-baa62ec184bd

Pahahaha.

I absolutely love it. Every time I read a Jools post I think, this is the stupidest a person can possibly be whilst still able to operate a computer.

Then he posts again.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Agree with nearly all of that but I'm not sure JSO are setting their cause back years. I understand that climate change deniers among others find them irritating but they are getting the issue on the front pages and there are now regular phone ins on national radio. They are making it a subject that it's hard to avoid. I don't think standing outside supermarkets or in the centre of Norwich handing out leaflets would even make the EDP. So I'd encourage them to carry on until politicians start to act. The problem is that the politicians won't act. 

The criticism I do have of JSO is that the UK isn't a problem in the grand scheme of things and it's hard to justify their actions when we are only 1% contributors to global warming. It's a global problem and they should be joining in global protests. If protestors around the world went after airports and sea ports politicians might just take notice. 

Though predominantly based in the UK, Just Stop Oil 'projects' have set up homes across the world, with global branches found in Sweden, the USA, Germany, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Italy, France and Australia. 

"the group aims for the British government to commit to ending new fossil fuel licensing and production."

I always wonder why people don't see the significance of the word 'new' in their objectives.

18 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Is anyone there or just back? How bad is it? 

The climate is getting pretty scary nowadays and SKS saying how he hates tree huggers is a huge concern that Labour will do nothing remotely green when they get in power.

Bad. In Jena, central Germany at the moment. Had several days well into the 30s and to make matters worse, Germans are not massively keen on air conditioning in all places. Haven't been able to train properly at the gym I chose as the treadmills are next to the windows (on the 15th floor) and I can't run more than 7-8km without feeling faint due to heat. And I run half-marathons for a laugh.

Incidentally, the archipelago of Svalbard (where the doomsday seed vault is due to the permafrost amongst other things) is warming up faster than almost any other place on Earth.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Though predominantly based in the UK, Just Stop Oil 'projects' have set up homes across the world, with global branches found in Sweden, the USA, Germany, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Italy, France and Australia. 

"the group aims for the British government to commit to ending new fossil fuel licensing and production."

I always wonder why people don't see the significance of the word 'new' in their objectives.

Probably because those people are so dense they'd ask for a refund on a pack of M&Ms because they saw a W instead.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Bad. In Jena, central Germany at the moment. Had several days well into the 30s and to make matters worse, Germans are not massively keen on air conditioning in all places. Haven't been able to train properly at the gym I chose as the treadmills are next to the windows (on the 15th floor) and I can't run more than 7-8km without feeling faint due to heat. And I run half-marathons for a laugh.

Incidentally, the archipelago of Svalbard (where the doomsday seed vault is due to the permafrost amongst other things) is warming up faster than almost any other place on Earth.

Thanks for the 'on the ground' update. Terrifying. This is not the new normal. The new normal is worse than this. And that is f****d up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Thanks for the 'on the ground' update. Terrifying. This is not the new normal. The new normal is worse than this. And that is f****d up.

That's not the worst of it. A Texan friend of mine who emigrated to Athens is saying it's got too hot there! 

Back home next Sunday. Can't wait to be able to bang out long treadmill runs in training again, but as I'll probably be looking to emigrate to central Germany due to Miss TGS by the start of next year, I can't say this weather is pleasing!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

OT, but say hello to Jena. My dad's family ended up just south of the city and I haven't seen it post-DDR era. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

OT, but say hello to Jena. My dad's family ended up just south of the city and I haven't seen it post-DDR era. 👍

Jena's an agreeable enough city - like many in the old East it got destroyed twice really, to use the quip Dresden's inhabitants used when describing the destruction wrought during the war then the extra desolation caused by the Soviets in the resulting rebuild. Doesn't help that it's naturally in an extended valley so the heat tends to sit in there.

Erfurt, Weimar and Eisenach are probably the real stars in urban terms, as well as the Thuringian Forest. Miss TGS took me on a boat tour of the Hohenwarte two weeks ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Pahahaha.

I absolutely love it. Every time I read a Jools post I think, this is the stupidest a person can possibly be whilst still able to operate a computer.

Then he posts again.

Oh, I knew you had to be an eco-loon - Do you attend protests? 

Britains emissions are down to 1% of the global total, so how stupid are these loons for protesting in the UK? Why are they not blockading the Chinese Embassy as China is the world's biggest emitter at 30% of the global totals? Why do you loons keep telling me "the science is settled and 97% of scientists agree" When that clearly isn't the case:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/?sh=69423d233f9f

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/exposed-the-97-of-scientists-agree-with-manmade-global-warming-lie/

You eco-loons are the embodiment of stupidity, ffs.

12 hours ago, Herman said:

He's been regurgitating nonsense from the right wing think tanks etc.for a very long time. He's either a paid shill, a useful idiot or simply thick as pig ****.

But he did have the Hide and Seek championships for nearly a year. Shame they coincided with all his political allies melting. Even changing his name didn't stop him using the looney conspiratoral far right for his bedtime reading.

1 minute ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Britains emissions are down to 1% of the global total, so how stupid are these loons for protesting in the UK? Why are they not blockading the Chinese Embassy as China is the world's biggest emitter at 30% of the global totals? Why do you loons keep telling me "the science is settled and 97% of scientists agree" When that clearly isn't the case:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/?sh=69423d233f9f

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/exposed-the-97-of-scientists-agree-with-manmade-global-warming-lie/

When are you appearing on GB News Jools? They don't have  any contra arguments on there and you can say that this disrupting and fatal weather changing would be stopped in a day by Trump and Johnson.

Nadine would like you. She is smarter than you although it wouldn't make her look better, 

13 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Probably because those people are so dense they'd ask for a refund on a pack of M&Ms because they saw a W instead.

TheGunnShow was correct.

27 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

You must be incredibly stupid if you believe a single word of that complete claptrap.

Britain's emissions are not 1% of the global total, they are way more than that. What the UK has done for many years is export our emissons to China et al, because we don't actually manufacture anything anymore. On top of that we are also responsible for the emissions incurred in shipping all the stuff from China to the UK, but shipping emissions (a  huge chunk of global emissions) are conveniently not included in the official UK figures - TBF this gross omission is not limited to the UK.

If I were you I would give up posting on this topic as you re quite clearly clueless on this issue, or incredibly gullible - quite possibly both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

What's the point of that? If we stop producing hydrocarbons and do nothing else we just increase the wealth, power and influence of a lot of countries we probably don't see eye to eye with.

I'm all for tackling global warming, but we need to work on demand side reductions: by reducing usage with efficiency messures and investing in green alternatives. Just shutting down domestic production of oil won't acheive anything good.

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I agree with most of your post to be fair. JSO is keeping the issue in the papers, I suppose that is kind of good.  But they are so unlikeable I fear that column inches won't transfer into action.

Green issues are quite easy for politicians to drop. Cameron did it when he no longer wanted to hug a husky and 'radical' SKS  seems to be rowing quickly away from some of his 'commitments'. For green policies to stick they have to work harder than most.  We were close before 2008 but now I feel that even though JSO is getting attention I don't see it turning into a vote winning subject.

And that's even before we talk about whether or not JSO is feeding the climate denial lunacy of the type that was pretty much extinct 10 years ago.

JSO have improved no doubt (though their start set the bsr real low) but they still need to work on their aims and their approach.  They could be a real force for positive change, or they could be a club primarily for middle aged white people looking for a purpose,  any purpose, in life. Its their choice.

2 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Pahahaha! Calling people loons whilst quoting The Conservative Woman as a source!!! Ahahahaha!!! This is incredible.

What's up next? Call me a genocidal maniac with some quotes from Stalin? Accuse me of being anti-science with a link to a Flat Earth Society blog?!

Keep it up, you fantastic moron.

• Thanks 1