cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Linnets V Canaries*

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I really don't understand how you can be so disparaging about another human being. Would you tell one of your pupils they are masquerading as a student of whatever subject it is you teach if they were struggling?  Idah, who has had several injuries as well as still being young and still learning how best to use what he has, should be encouraged....like I hope you are with your students. 

It looks a lot like keyboard warrior-ism Lakey. If KIO is a teacher, you’d also hope that if he saw talent in a pupil that was ignored by others, he would encourage them despite that, and do his best to develop that latent ability. The club, through three coaches now, clearly see something of value in Idah (which we all saw briefly in the PL, although most seem to have forgotten that) and believe it is worth a five year contract.

I’m looking forward to him making lots of posters eat their words.

• Like 2

Idah is still young, but another question is what will help develop him morethis season, playing backup to Sargent and Barnes, or going on loan,.perhaps with caveat he gets to start?

He'll get game time with us, and clearly our club rate him by giving him a very long contract, but surely every player wants to be playing regularly. 

10 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Idah is still young, but another question is what will help develop him morethis season, playing backup to Sargent and Barnes, or going on loan,.perhaps with caveat he gets to start?

He'll get game time with us, and clearly our club rate him by giving him a very long contract, but surely every player wants to be playing regularly. 

He’s not still young though is he?

22 isn’t a young player,  by now he should be an established player.

He just isn’t good enough for a championship team. We should loan him out and then sell him

Edited by rock bus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rock bus said:

He’s not still young though is he?

22 isn’t a young player,  by now he should be an established player.

He just isn’t good enough for a championship team. We should loan him out and then sell him

Lots of players aren't established at championship / prem level at 22 but do go on to be.

44 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

The way I see Idah is his contract was based on protecting the asset and if any interest did come we would be in a strong position. I really don't see it with Idah personally. Lack of development, for me see how pre season pans out and if nothing improves I'd look at a loan providing we can get a striker in on loan or something similar.

On Idah Everton have quoted Coventry 8 million for Ellis Simms or is that a done deal who is the same age as Idah his. His goal scoring record really isn’t very good. Half a good season in the championship and Idah would be worth similar.

With the injury to Sainz a loan for Idah looks extremely unlikely as either him or Sargent will at some point have to cover for the wide positions. We don't know if Sainz is any good, but imo we really are lacking quality in those areas.

Loaning out Idah means another striker would have to come in, which seems very unlikely. There are more priority positions that need covering.

I hope Wagner and Co find the time to actually coach Idah. For a start his running off the ball needs to improve so he doesn't keep getting offside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

It looks a lot like keyboard warrior-ism Lakey. If KIO is a teacher, you’d also hope that if he saw talent in a pupil that was ignored by others, he would encourage them despite that, and do his best to develop that latent ability. The club, through three coaches now, clearly see something of value in Idah (which we all saw briefly in the PL, although most seem to have forgotten that) and believe it is worth a five year contract.

I’m looking forward to him making lots of posters eat their words.

I would eat them happily, I really would. But I think objectively that what I have seen suggests he is pap. 

I’ll not be holding back on my dinner in case I need an empty stomach 

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

With the injury to Sainz a loan for Idah looks extremely unlikely as either him or Sargent will at some point have to cover for the wide positions. We don't know if Sainz is any good, but imo we really are lacking quality in those areas.

Loaning out Idah means another striker would have to come in, which seems very unlikely. There are more priority positions that need covering.

I hope Wagner and Co find the time to actually coach Idah. For a start his running off the ball needs to improve so he doesn't keep getting offside.

Very true. Timing of his runs needs serious improvement. I'm still awaiting my money back from stream. I'm gonna launch a full on hate campaign against the club on this, as I have nothing better to do

Edited by jaberry2

On 08/07/2023 at 20:35, hogesar said:

Nothing to really read into as it's preseason against such a poor opponent.

Stephen (King's Lynn owner) done a great job with the hospitality all things considered, Stuart was in attendance with a couple others and good to talk with. 

On the pitch most judgements are pointless in pre season especially at this point but Gibbs and Sorensen gave the ball away more times in this friendly than you'd like in 3 league matches.

Idah looked the least sharp of the attacking players.

Tzolis has definitely trimmed. Despite not rating him was really good with the kids etc asking for photos and autographs, as were all the players to be fair. 

Glad you enjoyed some corporate hospitality at the Walks Hoggy, you’ve hit the big time! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

He has had four years to learn how to avoid being caught offside, during which time he has worked and trained alongside Pukki, who almost always sprang the trap. If he can't learn how to time his runs from Pukki, I don't think he's capable of learning it. 

10 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Very true. Timing of his runs needs serious improvement. I'm still awaiting my money back from stream. I'm gonna launch a full on hate campaign against the club on this, as I have nothing better to do

I'll hold your coat for you. Do your worst. 

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

He has had four years to learn how to avoid being caught offside, during which time he has worked and trained alongside Pukki, who almost always sprang the trap. If he can't learn how to time his runs from Pukki, I don't think he's capable of learning it. 

Well clearly they weren't lining up Idah as a straight replacement.  Different style of player entirely. Pukki was constantly aware of the centre half's positioning and our players knew exactly when to release him. That's not the case with Adam.

Idah doesn't seem to have that natural movement yet, and in fact is getting offside from a straight punt down the pitch.

Hopefully (post Pukki) we are working on how to create chances for Sargent and Idah, and Barnes as well. I only saw the 2nd half against Kings Lynn and it's very obviously early days for all our players.

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I really don't understand how you can be so disparaging about another human being. Would you tell one of your pupils they are masquerading as a student of whatever subject it is you teach if they were struggling?  Idah, who has had several injuries as well as still being young and still learning how best to use what he has, should be encouraged....like I hope you are with your students. 

So, you don't think he should be made to stand by the corner flag with a 'D hat' on? 

On 08/07/2023 at 21:35, hogesar said:

Tzolis has definitely trimmed. Despite not rating him was really good with the kids etc asking for photos and autographs, as were all the players to be fair. 

I've always supported Tzolis when you've gone in hard on him, Hogesar, but I'm starting to have some doubts. I watched the whole game again today and I compared Springett with him. Just my opinion, but I think Tzolis has superior technical skills. But he is far behind Springett during games in the sense that he waits for things to happen rather than makes them happen. There is a diffidence about his play. Is this a confidence issue?

It's great that he seems to have got fit, but if he wants to be a big part of this season IMO he now needs to develop the way he approaches games and become much more proactive, and also start to forge on-pitch relationships in the way that Springett did with Stacey. Although to be fair the whole second-half eleven were much less assured (with the possible exception of Rowe and Mumba) and much less cohesive. For whatever reason, it just didn't work as a unit.

Edited by canarybubbles

16 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I've always supported Tzolis when you've gone in hard on him, Hogesar, but I'm starting to have some doubts. I watched the whole game again today and I compared Springett with him. Just my opinion, but I think Tzolis has superior technical skills. But he is far behind Springett during games in the sense that he waits for things to happen rather than makes them happen. There is a diffidence about his play. Is this a confidence issue?

It's great that he seems to have got fit, but if he wants to be a big part of this season IMO he now needs to develop the way he approaches games and become much more proactive, and also start to forge on-pitch relationships in the way that Springett did with Stacey. Although to be fair the whole second-half eleven were much less assured (with the possible exception of Rowe and Mumba) and much less cohesive. For whatever reason, it just didn't work as a unit.

I don't think Springett is currently good enough to start despite him thinking so. But was well regarded after his loan last season. If he wants to and we can afford to do so, another loan would suit, but I recall him saying it was him moving on if he didn't start

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I don't think Springett is currently good enough to start despite him thinking so. But was well regarded after his loan last season. If he wants to and we can afford to do so, another loan would suit, but I recall him saying it was him moving on if he didn't start

I read that report on here about Springett saying he would leave if he got loaned out again. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. From the confidence he displays on the pitch, I'd say it rings true, but who knows? I agree with you, though, that he doesn't seem good enough to start at the moment. There were several occasions yesterday when his first touch let him down, and you can get away with that when you're playing Kings Lynn but not when you're playing in the Championship.

51 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Tzolis sort of played in that second-striker role against Lynn, didn't he? 

I didn't see much to change my mind about him but the fact he finally looks actually fit has to be a positive. I saw the PinkUn talking about him going on loan but i'm not sure if he has that much of a reputation anymore to get a decent loan move in Europe. Who knows!

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Idah's propensity to raise offside flags reminds me of Ade Akinbiyi.

The same Akinbiyi who scored 150ish career goals generated transfer fees over 10 million pounds. Norwich saw 3 goals and 250,000 in transfers fees.

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

The same Akinbiyi who scored 150ish career goals generated transfer fees over 10 million pounds. Norwich saw 3 goals and 250,000 in transfers fees.

So he didn't fulfil his potential with us then?

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Tzolis sort of played in that second-striker role against Lynn, didn't he? 

I didn't see much to change my mind about him but the fact he finally looks actually fit has to be a positive. I saw the PinkUn talking about him going on loan but i'm not sure if he has that much of a reputation anymore to get a decent loan move in Europe. Who knows!

Yes, I saw that, but I don't think another loan will help him at all. Unless it's with a manager who's willing to give him time and, most importantly, direction. Schumacher at Plymouth, perhaps? He did a great job with Mumba.

7 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I read that report on here about Springett saying he would leave if he got loaned out again. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. From the confidence he displays on the pitch, I'd say it rings true, but who knows? I agree with you, though, that he doesn't seem good enough to start at the moment. There were several occasions yesterday when his first touch let him down, and you can get away with that when you're playing Kings Lynn but not when you're playing in the Championship.

Yep, agree. Not a starter and if he wants out then fine. I’ve not seen much quality aside from being a willing runner. I mention a while back I watched him play a full u21s match and he didn’t stand out whatsoever and this was after his supposed potential breakthrough. Hope he does put a bit of grit in and stake a claim but it’s not currently his to have imo 

On Springett once a player has played first team football very few want to go back to being a reserve team player.

Will go out on loan would be I guess 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Yep, agree. Not a starter and if he wants out then fine. I’ve not seen much quality aside from being a willing runner. I mention a while back I watched him play a full u21s match and he didn’t stand out whatsoever and this was after his supposed potential breakthrough. Hope he does put a bit of grit in and stake a claim but it’s not currently his to have imo 

I think he'll do OK because of his attitude and confidence, but I doubt if he'll ever be more than the level we're at now. I don't think he has the potential of Rowe or Mumba, or Tzolis if he can toughen up mentally.