Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Taff luck

Fifa has told the Cardiff City to pay more than €11m (£9.45m). That covers the last two instalments of the €17m agreed between the clubs (FC Nantes, Sala)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66071830

Which demonstrates, again, that transfer fees are not paid in one lump sum. It should also keep Cardiff out of the running for a  bit, as it is a massive amount for a Championship club

The article suggests, that with the arrest of officials from FC Nantes, a football transfer involves money laundering - Redknapp not involved it is believed.

I think you’ll find that transfer fees are paid however the buying and selling club agree, nothing is fixed.  For example, we want more cash upfront for Rashica.

I think money is irrelevant given the circumstances, the clubs should be ashamed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

I think money is irrelevant given the circumstances, the clubs should be ashamed 

Dunno I think Nantes have a case.
If we sold a player and they died on route we would still want our transfer fee no?

14 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

If we sold a player and they died on route we would still want our transfer fee no?

Exactly this. Fair to say it's easy to understand both sides mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly this. Fair to say it's easy to understand both sides mind.

It's not that easy to understand Cardiff's side, they bought someone and the plane that their proxy arranged crashed causing the loss of their purchase. That's like saying that if you bought a car and the friend you got to drive it home wrote it off driving it home that you shouldn't have to pay for the car.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Depends which club actually held his registration when the death occured?

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Depends which club actually held his registration when the death occured?

Well yeh that should be cut and dry. If Nantes holds the registration then he was a Nantes player on death, if he had been signed off to Cardiff even if the paperwork was on route then hes been purchased.
And then it fits into @cornish sam car analogy.

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think you’ll find that transfer fees are paid however the buying and selling club agree, nothing is fixed.  For example, we want more cash upfront for Rashica.

err yes, that is understood

What is not understood is that the vast majority of transfers are paid in instalments. Meaning a few years back we were in the black with around £20m still owing by us, and £20m owing to us. Some still imagine that once a club is relegated all transfer fees have been paid. That not being the case, is why so many 'fade/]' once they are relegated. Coming down with not only heavy contracts to pay but two year (or more often) transfer payment instalments.

It is a shame on Cardiff that they tried to weasel out of paying this fee. And it will be interesting to see if the full story re FC Nantes illegal financial activities ever are made public.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It is a shame on Cardiff that they tried to weasel out of paying this fee. And it will be interesting to see if the full story re FC Nantes illegal financial activities ever are made public.

Agreed. I mean I am going on half a story as I obs wasnt there or privy to the transfer deal.
BUT.... if you really want to shat all over Sala's legacy you refuse to pay his fee, i think that part stinks. The least they can do is shift the cash to Nantes or your dishonoring the deal and imho his memory. Its the right thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Well yeh that should be cut and dry. If Nantes holds the registration then he was a Nantes player on death, if he had been signed off to Cardiff even if the paperwork was on route then hes been purchased.
And then it fits into @cornish sam car analogy.

Quite apart from anything else, which ever club held his regustration would presumably also have the player insured. It wouldnt be correct for one club i.e Cardiff to pay a transfer fee, if it is then other other club who then receives the insurance payout

• Like 1

This is a worthy read, that through reporting the story, well lifts the stone to reveal the murky world that transfers can be

Note the activities of banned agent Willie Mackay, who while using his son as a front plays hard and fast with the rules and comes across as an absolute cnt.

Unfortunately, with the huge sums involved, this activity will attract his sort. It also highlights that the headline figure is all too often not the same as that received by the selling club - once any number of parasites have taken their cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_of_Emiliano_Sala_from_FC_Nantes_to_Cardiff_City_F.C.

8 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Agreed. I mean I am going on half a story as I obs wasnt there or privy to the transfer deal.
BUT.... if you really want to shat all over Sala's legacy you refuse to pay his fee, i think that part stinks. The least they can do is shift the cash to Nantes or your dishonoring the deal and imho his memory. Its the right thing to do.

I've said it before, and whilst it's not right, different rules in football. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

It's not that easy to understand Cardiff's side, they bought someone and the plane that their proxy arranged crashed causing the loss of their purchase. That's like saying that if you bought a car and the friend you got to drive it home wrote it off driving it home that you shouldn't have to pay for the car.

This idea that Sala died before arriving at Cardiff is a myth, though.

The deal was done, and he was in Cardiff on the Saturday posing for photos in the shirt and doing his media stuff, which was released on the same day. 

He then flew back to France on the Saturday evening to collect some stuff and say goodbye to his former teammates, before getting on the plane which ultimately crashed on the Sunday evening, ahead of starting training on the Monday. 

He was most definitely a Cardiff player. The contracts were signed, he was presented in Cardiff, and the club posted things on social media after his death like "Once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and other such like, they had a memorial outside the ground, and only when it came to paying the first instalment they suddenly denied that he was ever a Cardiff player. 

Cardiff have been forced to cough up, and they've come out of it looking pretty terrible and with a transfer embargo. Fair enough, I'd say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I know…tough situation 

• Like 1

The appalling thing is that despite the player commanding an 8 figure fee, they used a cheap way to fly him from Nantes to Cardiff.

Cardiff are a complete joke and testament to the ludicrous way that football operates. Tan just seems to pump in millions anyway yet he still embarrasingly contested it. With £20 million Turnover and £30 million wage bill at least there is no way the fans will be paying it.

13 hours ago, RobJames said:

What is not understood is that the vast majority of transfers are paid in instalments. Meaning a few years back we were in the black with around £20m still owing by us, and £20m owing to us. Some still imagine that once a club is relegated all transfer fees have been paid. 

Indeed. From the last set of NCFC Accounts page 67 shows that other Clubs owed us a net £40 million at the start of the Premier League season reduced to net £5 million at the end therefore there must have been settlement from previous transfers in the year which to a certain extent funded our net outlay of £36 million on page 64 whilst the relevant entries on page 55 suggest there were some further deferred payments.

On 30/06/2023 at 23:49, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This idea that Sala died before arriving at Cardiff is a myth, though.

The deal was done, and he was in Cardiff on the Saturday posing for photos in the shirt and doing his media stuff, which was released on the same day. 

He then flew back to France on the Saturday evening to collect some stuff and say goodbye to his former teammates, before getting on the plane which ultimately crashed on the Sunday evening, ahead of starting training on the Monday. 

He was most definitely a Cardiff player. The contracts were signed, he was presented in Cardiff, and the club posted things on social media after his death like "Once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and other such like, they had a memorial outside the ground, and only when it came to paying the first instalment they suddenly denied that he was ever a Cardiff player. 

Cardiff have been forced to cough up, and they've come out of it looking pretty terrible and with a transfer embargo. Fair enough, I'd say.

No one has ever answered the insurance question though. If he was so certainly a Cardiff player, then he should have been insured by them, so why the issue with paying the transfer fee?

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

No one has ever answered the insurance question though. If he was so certainly a Cardiff player, then he should have been insured by them, so why the issue with paying the transfer fee?

Yup, agreed. You would've thought that all clubs would have insurance against a career-ending injury or death. Maybe they hadn't got round to insuring him due to the fact that only around 48 hours had passed between him becoming a Cardiff player and going missing? Seems unlikely, as you would've thought this would be done at the same time they actually signed him, but I suppose it could be a possibility. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

There is some info here for insurance https://sqaf.club/football-clubs-insurance-injured-player/

Would appear that injury cover is commonplace - life cover less so and is then subject to a minimum of 3 deaths at the time. 

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

He was insured by them, or at least they thought he was, they tried to sue the insurance provider for not paying out...

On 03/07/2023 at 16:39, cornish sam said:

He was insured by them, or at least they thought he was, they tried to sue the insurance provider for not paying out...

Did they? I haven't seen that anywhere - got a link?

Thanks - I missed that. But it does beg the question that if Cardiff are legally arguing that their insurance broker let them down about how to insure their player, how can they then deny that he was indeed their player?

As an aside, I worked in insurance for many years and along the way did quite a few football related covers. It was pretty standard back then to have an automatic cover clause up to a certain level. I guess maybe they exceeded their automatic limit.