Canary Jedi

Only decent performance at Carrow Road this year!

Can’t wait. Tickets for me and my son for the Arctic Monkeys! 

Anyone else going Wednesday evening?

Will be nice to go knowing that I will be very entertained, probably for the only time this season.

No ineffective passing out from the back. No soft goals conceded. No scoring blanks.

Bliss 🙂

Tried to like them but I just can't.

Did the Killers last year and it felt a bit surreal seeing them against the Carrow Rd backdrop. Superb.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

I'll be there tonight. Can still remember the scramble for tickets last September!

Sign of the times when the highlight of last season was The Killers, and the highlight of this season is the Arctic Monkeys!

• Haha 2

Surreal to watch what happened to this band. I caught them near the beginning of their rise at a pub gig in Cambridge, bought and still have a DIY t-shirt they were selling. They were great, just spotty teenagers barely old enough to be in the venue but a fantastic presence. Shortly after the gig I got hold of the only CD (it's really that long ago)  I could find on eBay which was a demo release of around 20 songs, many ended up on that first album. In my opinion the demos were better than the actual released versions, it's probably on youtube or something, worth a listen. The new stuff is all a bit dull for my tastes, but I like that they have kept evolving. 

• Like 2

The Mysterines's supporting are fantastic live, saw them recently at Kentish Town Form, Monkeys will be a bit flat after their energy

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The Mysterines's supporting are fantastic live, saw them recently at Kentish Town Form, Monkeys will be a bit flat after their energy

I'm going for the Hives who are super energetic and put on a good show. Not too fussed by the recent Artic Monkeys stuff but seems like the openers will be fun.

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

I'm going for the Hives who are super energetic and put on a good show. Not too fussed by the recent Artic Monkeys stuff but seems like the openers will be fun.

The Hives are great live, always entertaining.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the usual car parks will be open? I’m thinking county hall or the charity car park on Thorpe Road etc

11 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Does anyone know if the usual car parks will be open? I’m thinking county hall or the charity car park on Thorpe Road etc

Pretty sure County Hall is. Eldest is a warden sometimes and was asked if he was available.

12 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Surreal to watch what happened to this band. I caught them near the beginning of their rise at a pub gig in Cambridge, bought and still have a DIY t-shirt they were selling. They were great, just spotty teenagers barely old enough to be in the venue but a fantastic presence. Shortly after the gig I got hold of the only CD (it's really that long ago)  I could find on eBay which was a demo release of around 20 songs, many ended up on that first album. In my opinion the demos were better than the actual released versions, it's probably on youtube or something, worth a listen. The new stuff is all a bit dull for my tastes, but I like that they have kept evolving. 

I'm actually a friend of the producer of those demos, Alan Smyth. I remember having a pint with him in the Washington pub here in Sheff, and him enthusing about these young lads he had in his studio who were going to be the next big thing, so I needed to see them at a gig at The Grapes the next week. This venue could only hold 50 people at most (including the band and live engineer). What a fantastic gig (I think some recordings of this gig exists on the internet)! Nothing like being there at the beginning of a career. Will be different seeing them at Hillsborough Park this weekend.

• Like 2

Had never heard of The Hives but they were really entertaining.  Great to see Carrow Road rocking with The Monkeys.

Couldn’t believe the number of huge lorries, equipment and tour buses filling the car park.  A massive operation to put on such a show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Satriales said:

To those that went... how was the gig?

Will be listening to more Mysterines, singer sounded like a scouse Brody Dalle. Hives were excellent, usual high energy and constant interaction.

Enjoyed the start and end of the Arctic Monkeys but a fair bit of filler in the middle saw the crowd quieten down, like I was at a Norwich game for a bit.

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Will be listening to more Mysterines, singer sounded like a scouse Brody Dalle. Hives were excellent, usual high energy and constant interaction.

Enjoyed the start and end of the Arctic Monkeys but a fair bit of filler in the middle saw the crowd quieten down, like I was at a Norwich game for a bit.

I'll check out The Mysterines, don't think I've heard their stuff before.

I think most gigs are similar for any band with a few albums or more under their belt, always a bit of filler in the middle, then hit the crowd with the hits towards the end/encore. Sounds like a good show all round.

It was a wonderful performance, all the great songs.

The lyrics for Bodypaint were very apt for a team visiting Carrow Road since most teams last season knew exactly how to setup to beat us:

“So predictable, I know what you're thinking

[Bridge]
I'm watching your every move
I feel the tears are coming on”

43 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I'll check out The Mysterines, don't think I've heard their stuff before.

I think most gigs are similar for any band with a few albums or more under their belt, always a bit of filler in the middle, then hit the crowd with the hits towards the end/encore. Sounds like a good show all round.

Someone else here said they saw Mysterines so listened to their album in advance and was glad I did as would have probably been hanging round the bar if not.

Arctic Monkeys have quite a few albums behind them now and the middle section was more songs from the recent ones which aren't really to my taste. Overall a good show and nice to see a big gig at the Carra! 

Everyone walking down to Carrow Rd last night seemed very chilled, it looked like a big deal so checked them out on YouTube when home but it didn’t do it for me. Might be an age thing but I still believe todays bands are a poor second to ones of the past.

Still we have the Foo Fighters in Australia this winter, I’m told there’re ok, so might give them a look:

Stranglers, Dr Feelgood, Stones and early Springsteen every time!

30 minutes ago, Sheva said:

Everyone walking down to Carrow Rd last night seemed very chilled, it looked like a big deal so checked them out on YouTube when home but it didn’t do it for me. Might be an age thing but I still believe todays bands are a poor second to ones of the past.

Still we have the Foo Fighters in Australia this winter, I’m told there’re ok, so might give them a look:

I saw Springsteen in Barcelona last month, at 73, he still put on a fantastic 3 hour rock and roll show, amazing!

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

Foos are awesome, great every time. 

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

I've been following the Stranglers since the late 70s. Superb live and will hopefully being seeing them again next March!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheva said:

Couldn’t accuse you of being narrow minded @Sheva - that quite an eclectic mix. I wouldn’t put the Feelgoods in the same genres as Springsteen! 

Im a bit like you but Arctic Monkeys are a proper guitar based band. I prefer their eairlier stuff - might worth checking them out. 

I’m off to see Weller later this month btw. 

8 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Enjoyed the start and end of the Arctic Monkeys but a fair bit of filler in the middle saw the crowd quieten down

6 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Arctic Monkeys have quite a few albums behind them now and the middle section was more songs from the recent ones which aren't really to my taste

Agree with these comments, I don't think the songs in the middle of the set were the right ones for a stadium, probably come across better in a smaller venue. Realistically everyone wants to hear stuff from the first two albums but at the end of the day they are promoting a new album .

Didn't get much from the Mysterines but the Hives were great fun 

Pleased I went and enjoyed it overall but probably wouldn't bother to see them again.

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Agree with these comments, I don't think the songs in the middle of the set were the right ones for a stadium, probably come across better in a smaller venue. Realistically everyone wants to hear stuff from the first two albums but at the end of the day they are promoting a new album .

I think Glastonbury played a part in the set. When the tour was announced It was the worse kept secret that they were headlining and there are some deals around what you can play at Glasto (ie not a reliance on new stuff) 

I thought it looked like a tv/glasto set at times. Alex Turner was almost in character at times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Alex Turner was almost in character at times. 

It was like he was playing at being a bit of a crooner at times, no banter from him at all either which I thought was a bit disappointing 

13 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

no banter from him at all either which I thought was a bit disappointing 

Sounds familiar FF!  😉 

6 hours ago, Satriales said:

I saw Springsteen in Barcelona last month, at 73, he still put on a fantastic 3 hour rock and roll show, amazing!

Ah yes old Blue Collar Bruce.