Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Just stop oil at it again

They won't stop until the government commits to halting new fossil fuel licensing and production, that's their stated aim.

You have to admire their commitment to the cause they believe in.

I fully understand their reasons as I’m very keen on green energy myself and would love to see an end to the use of fossil fuels on our roads, but you just have to accept that we can’t stop the use of oil yet simply because we’re still not ready to (unless they really can afford to buy every petrol/diesel car owner in the UK an electric car and fund the production of all new wind/solar farms we need)

14 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I fully understand their reasons as I’m very keen on green energy myself and would love to see an end to the use of fossil fuels on our roads, but you just have to accept that we can’t stop the use of oil yet simply because we’re still not ready to (unless they really can afford to buy every petrol/diesel car owner in the UK an electric car and fund the production of all new wind/solar farms we need)

They haven't said that they want to stop the current use of oil, they want to stop new fossil fuel licensing and production.

https://juststopoil.org/faqs/

Can't really see why chucking a bit of orange powder is much of an issue.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can't really see why chucking a bit of orange powder is much of an issue.

Really? Unless you know exactly what that orange powder is, I think it's a massive ****ing problem. 

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Really? Unless you know exactly what that orange powder is, I think it's a massive ****ing problem. 

Considering they're often standing in clouds of the stuff, it hardly seems like anything that's going to be toxic or harmful to anyone.

(And if, contrary to expectations, it is then it would be a pretty wacky Darwin Award).

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Considering they're often standing in clouds of the stuff, it hardly seems like anything that's going to be toxic or harmful to anyone.

(And if, contrary to expectations, it is then it would be a pretty wacky Darwin Award).

Yes, because people committing suicide to further a cause has never happened in history, has it?

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes, because people committing suicide to further a cause has never happened in history, has it?

Have any of them even ended up in hospital due to powder-related issues after such a protest?

So, assuming the powder is safe, where's the problem?

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Have any of them even ended up in hospital due to powder-related issues after such a protest?

So, assuming the powder is safe, where's the problem?

People have ended up dead due to "powder related issues". It's a fairly common type of weapon. The problem is you can't assume the powder is safe in a stadium full of people.

It's hardly rocket science.

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

People have ended up dead due to "powder related issues". It's a fairly common type of weapon. The problem is you can't assume the powder is safe in a stadium full of people.

It's hardly rocket science.

Apparently it's biodegradable corn starch dyed with vegan food colouring. 

Just Stop Oil on Twitter: "@LZ_Racing It's biodegradable cornstarch dyed with vegan food colouring. Meanwhile the UK Government is approving over 100 new oil and gas projects which will kill people and animals. Who should you be angry with?" / Twitter

In other words, it's harmless.

So, where's the problem?

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

They haven't said that they want to stop the current use of oil, they want to stop new fossil fuel licensing and production.

I wish them well in their endevours to convince putin, Al thani, al Saud, tabboune, chavez, tinubu, biden and a few others to stop producing hydrocarbons. Those guys are almost certain to listen to some middle aged white guys in London,  same as customers like ....the entire world...will

I support the cause, global warming is perhaps the number one issue since home sapiens got a bit curious bout its surroundings, but in the real world you have to play things differently 

Edited by Barbe bleu

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I wish them well in their endevours to convince putin, Al thani, al Saud, tabboune, chavez, tinubu, biden and a few others to stop producing hydrocarbons. Those guys are almost certain to listen to some middle aged white guys in London,  same as customers like ....the entire world...will

I support the cause, global warming is perhaps the number one issue since home sapiens got a bit curious bout its surroundings, but in the real world you have to play things differently 

It's an international organisation not 'just some white guys in London'.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Well then why are they obstructing road users? Is it really the road users that are giving new fossil fuel licenses? Surely it’s the government they should be targeting, not drivers

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Sure.  I imagine it's saudi branch is pretty active

7 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Sure.  I imagine it's saudi branch is pretty active

There's no need to throw a tantrum because you got something wrong, you can look things up before making yourself look lazy. 

7 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Well then why are they obstructing road users? Is it really the road users that are giving new fossil fuel licenses? Surely it’s the government they should be targeting, not drivers

I think you haven't quite grasped the fundamental nature of civil disobedience.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

There's no need to throw a tantrum because you got something wrong, you can look things up before making yourself look lazy. 

I do like your pithy provocative style, but no tantrum here skipper.  Just making the point that the works is a big and complicated place.

If the west made massive cuts to hydrocarbon production over night it would probably do little but put more power, money and influence into the pockets of countries and leaders that have a world view massively different to our own. 

Just stop oil have got in wrong in my view.  It should be concentrating on raising awareness of the issue and asking for investment in renewables and demand side changes.

I've seen lots of Just stop oil protests in London.  I can tell you that 'white' is completely valid description.  As is middle class

There are folk who will as the norm applaud and concur with those who protest and will also praise their reasons behind these protests....Maybe it's because they really do agree with the protesters stance?....Maybe they're just virtue signalling?....Or maybe they are just being mischievous and total wind up merchants?....

That is maybe....until it directly affects those protester applauding and concurring folk personally...

Would these applauding and concurring folk who agree with these protesters (and their civil disobedience events) be so 'yeah right on' if it was actually in their back yard and not over a hundred or so miles away?....

Just an imaginary scenario...I wonder if those on here who concur with those protesting and who also admire their devout commitment would really 'turn the other cheek' if these said protesters' slash a tyre, then scratched their paintwork....followed by protesters sprinkling and shaking bags of orange powder through their open car window whilst you protest supporters were patiently sat orange powder covered and gleefully nodding in agreement behind your steering wheel whilst sat in a traffic queue....Which was due to some other protesters glued to the asphalt in front of them?....

"Ho hum thank you ever so much you brave protesters it's wonderful to be part of your stance and that orange powder is certainly a good choice....May I please add that I have a flasks of green tea and mung bean soup in my boot if any of you good people are thirsty or feeling peckish? Oh and there's also a few comfy cushions for those courageous and adamant souls currently adhered to the tarmac"....

"Ok honey and kids, hey wasn't that protest event really great to be a part of?" "I hope you kids filmed the event on your smart phones for posterity?"...."Ok gang, I'll just change that wheel then it's home first for a shower and change of clothes, then I'm straight off to Kwik Fit before booking the buggy into a professional car valeting company"...."Then finally I'll see if I can book a slot in the spray shop as it's only a few scratches"....

"Such is life....and the freedom to protest"....

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I do like your pithy provocative style, but no tantrum here skipper.  Just making the point that the works is a big and complicated place.

If the west made massive cuts to hydrocarbon production over night it would probably do little but put more power, money and influence into the pockets of countries and leaders that have a world view massively different to our own. 

Just stop oil have got in wrong in my view.  It should be concentrating on raising awareness of the issue and asking for investment in renewables and demand side changes.

I've seen lots of Just stop oil protests in London.  I can tell you that 'white' is completely valid description.  As is middle class

Despite being given a link to their site you're still getting their objectives wrong. 

This 'why should we do it when other countries don't' argument is very myopic, nothing would change if you didn't choose to do the right thing, following the herd when they are going in the wrong direction is stupid.

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Despite being given a link to their site you're still getting their objectives wrong. 

This 'why should we do it when other countries don't' argument is very myopic, nothing would change if you didn't choose to do the right thing, following the herd when they are going in the wrong direction is stupid.

I do like you combative style, i really do. It's like the horsefly fights but without the superiority!

They want an end to fossil fuels. Great, so do I.   But I'm sensible enough to realise that unless you start with reducing demand and investing in renewables first the protest is pointless as us switching off our hydrocarbon exploitation means only that we are freeing room for other producers to fill the gap.

Interestingly,  for a 'not white and completely international, I promise' organisation there a lot of focus on the website of white folk doing stuff in Britain...

Edited by Barbe bleu

Khan - Just Stop Oil are just going about their business 

Khan - I will charge £12 a day for polluting vehicles

Khan - the Met need to get their act together and stop blaming BAME for the abhorrent crime rate.

Khan - ‘Refugees Welcome Here’

Khan - no Refugee Refuge barges in the Thames 

Khan - over 4500 lives prematurely curtailed by poor air quality.

Khan - the £2 any journey one way on a bus will not happen in London

Meanwhile in Pakistan the other Khan is wondering why the Army are  taking over and nobody trusts him 

2 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

Khan - Just Stop Oil are just going about their business 

Khan - I will charge £12 a day for polluting vehicles

Khan - the Met need to get their act together and stop blaming BAME for the abhorrent crime rate.

Khan - ‘Refugees Welcome Here’

Khan - no Refugee Refuge barges in the Thames 

Khan - over 4500 lives prematurely curtailed by poor air quality.

Khan - the £2 any journey one way on a bus will not happen in London

Meanwhile in Pakistan the other Khan is wondering why the Army are  taking over and nobody trusts him 

You could go and live  in New York if you want bad air.

Edited by keelansgrandad

On 27/05/2023 at 22:33, HazzaJet said:

Because it's an accessible way of raising the profile of the campaign. It's not a personal protest against road users. Unfortunately, some people's thinking is so binary that they cannot see the bigger picture which is education and visibility of the problem and wider pressure on the government. 

We can all sit here while the world burns around us in complete ignorance or we can praise people who are actually trying to prevent it and join them in whatever way you can. Even if that's just ditching the car for short journeys. If you're over 70, possibly not a problem personally for you unless you make it into your 80s, if you're under 70, have kids or grandkids etc. then climate change absolutely going to affect your life and/or theirs negatively.

Those who argue that China or Russia [Insert your choice of state here] will not comply - well, let's align with all of their values on human rights and foreign policy shall we? It's nonsense.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Because it's an accessible way of raising the profile of the campaign. It's not a personal protest against road users. Unfortunately, some people's thinking is so binary that they cannot see the bigger picture which is education and visibility of the problem and wider pressure on the government. 

We can all sit here while the world burns around us in complete ignorance or we can praise people who are actually trying to prevent it and join them in whatever way you can. Even if that's just ditching the car for short journeys. If you're over 70, possibly not a problem personally for you unless you make it into your 80s, if you're under 70, have kids or grandkids etc. then climate change absolutely going to affect your life and/or theirs negatively.

Those who argue that China or Russia [Insert your choice of state here] will not comply - well, let's align with all of their values on human rights and foreign policy shall we? It's nonsense.

It's worth thinking about the EU referendum and it's aftermath. After the vote to leave the EU, leaving the EU became the top political subject from 2016 right up until the end of the transition period. In spite of that, over two general elections and the fact those elections represented the only realistic mechanism for the public to stop it in its tracks, this did not happen because the most important question of the time got lost in all the other issues encapsulated in the general elections.

It's for this same reason that, no matter how important climate change becomes in the minds of voters, ultimately the imact of this sort of action on government policy will be negligible, unless the democratic process is reformed to a proporitional system  to make single-issue representation in parliament a viable proposition. Ironically, there's no direct protest occurring to raise this issue up the agenda, in spite of the huge consequences of the shortcomings of our electoral model regarding limiting dealing with issues sensibly on a case by case basis.

On 27/05/2023 at 22:21, A Load of Squit said:

Their Russia, China and Saudi branches keep quite the low profile…

Edited by Virtual reality
  • Haha 1

On 27/05/2023 at 18:46, A Load of Squit said:

They won't stop until the government commits to halting new fossil fuel licensing and production, that's their stated aim.

You have to admire their commitment to the cause they believe in.

they are mostly hypocrits the local one round dereham way welds for a living and uses a wood burner