Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Next signing

Should be this week, according to Webber. So what sort of player, and where.

Old hand PL experience ....defensive midfield or another centre back. Links suggest we have been looking north of the border. McClean at £250,000 was a steal. There will be others if we look hard enough. We will need cover if both Aarons leave. It's their last year of their contract. A hidden gem like Holt or Pukki ?

10 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Thought there was a rumour going around it was Jack Colbeck? 

Another 33 year old and this one is a former binner

Hoo boy

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

More than likely a free transfer or it’s Tom Ince, with us triggering a relegation release clause figure.

would like us to move for Hannibal at Man Utd who was on loan at Birmingham last season. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Thought there was a rumour going around it was Jack Colbeck? 

I think I started that one, on here at least. His name had been mentioned in connection with the Colney touring party and he fits all the criteria. 33, can play in defensive midfielder or latterly a wing-back; just announced he will be released & most telling is the incredible testimony from fans + staff. Described by Steve Cooper as 'much more than just a player' for the other things he brings to the side.

Admittedly it's a touch underwhelming, sure, but he knows his way around. I think it's a goer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think I started that one, on here at least. His name had been mentioned in connection with the Colney touring party and he fits all the criteria. 33, can play in defensive midfielder or latterly a wing-back; just announced he will be released & most telling is the incredible testimony from fans + staff. Described by Steve Cooper as 'much more than just a player' for the other things he brings to the side.

Admittedly it's a touch underwhelming, sure, but he knows his way around. I think it's a goer.

Sounds exactly what we need. We are no longer in the PL, so we cannot offer PL wages over three years, or have PL money to meet signing on fees over three years either. What did Lambert pay to assemble his two title winning sides ?

Need a creative midfielder - hoolihan, Maddison, Buendia type. Otherwise all other signings are virtually pointless. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Need a creative midfielder - hoolihan, Maddison, Buendia type. Otherwise all other signings are virtually pointless. 

We do have creative players, if not quite at that level, but it’s the defensive shield that’s been particularly bad.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We do have creative players, if not quite at that level, but it’s the defensive shield that’s been particularly bad.  

We do need at least one creative player as the current ones are clearly not at the level required. Sara, for all his good points, cannot be called creative and the rest do not have vision, inventiveness or the ability to get on the ball in the right areas. Having said that, we also need that defensive shield. Basically our whole midfield requires an overhall. Then there are the forward positions and also the defence .....😂

Manning would be an upgrade at left back. Ince is better than anything we've got, and Max Johnston, who was reported as a Colney touree, would be an excellent addition at right back.

Would be happy with any of these

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

We do need at least one creative player as the current ones are clearly not at the level required. Sara, for all his good points, cannot be called creative and the rest do not have vision, inventiveness or the ability to get on the ball in the right areas. Having said that, we also need that defensive shield. Basically our whole midfield requires an overhall. Then there are the forward positions and also the defence .....😂

Pretty much agree with that. I said on another thread I was concerned with midfield. If Sara and McLean are first choice starters and we eventually sign a proper 'DM', that's a solid but uninspiring line-up.

It would be great to see real competition and I guess I'm so used to Kenny (and Sara) always in the first  X1!

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Agree, if anything we need a CDM so that the creative players we do have can be unshackled a bit.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Pretty much agree with that. I said on another thread I was concerned with midfield. If Sara and McLean are first choice starters and we eventually sign a proper 'DM', that's a solid but uninspiring line-up.

It would be great to see real competition and I guess I'm so used to Kenny (and Sara) always in the first  X1!

I would not be adverse to losing either Nunez or Sara. Some real flashes of brilliance from them both, but often too few and far between. A number of mi**** passes. We are in the Championship. We need to be building a squad capable of fighting for promotion, not capable of being sold for a profit a few years hence. I don't doubt the combative nature of last seasons squad. But that could be said of most L2 teams. I just don't think some have it in them.

If it is to be a rebuilt, then let it be a complete (almost) rebuild, not a make do and mend. Get the spine right and the rest (should) follow. A half season loan of an ex PL CB to cover for Hanley.  And an experienced CD. We also need a forward who knows where the goal is and can finish. Doesn't have to be a six footer. Pukki, Robins, Fleck demonstrated that. If a decent offer for Sargeant comes in, take it. And no punts on 'sicknotes' either..........Hayden, Byram, Marshall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I would not be adverse to losing either Nunez or Sara. Some real flashes of brilliance from them both, but often too few and far between. A number of mi**** passes. We are in the Championship. We need to be building a squad capable of fighting for promotion, not capable of being sold for a profit a few years hence. I don't doubt the combative nature of last seasons squad. But that could be said of most L2 teams. I just don't think some have it in them.

If it is to be a rebuilt, then let it be a complete (almost) rebuild, not a make do and mend. Get the spine right and the rest (should) follow. A half season loan of an ex PL CB to cover for Hanley.  And an experienced CD. We also need a forward who knows where the goal is and can finish. Doesn't have to be a six footer. Pukki, Robins, Fleck demonstrated that. If a decent offer for Sargeant comes in, take it. And no punts on 'sicknotes' either..........Hayden, Byram, Marshall.

They’re both from abroad I’d give them a year to settle 

there’s been some other examples of this down the years but Vrancic and Steipermann are two which spring to mind instantly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

They’re both from abroad I’d give them a year to settle 

there’s been some other examples of this down the years but Vrancic and Steipermann are two which spring to mind instantly 

No. Both looked OK from the start. Steipermann also had the disadvantage of being played a LB. Neither cost as much either so not tying up money.

I am not stating they or Sargeant, even Tzolis SHOULD go, but if we can recoup much of the money we can sign players equally as good for far less.

20 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Could be Ince and Colback. Why have one when you can have both?

Why are we interested in either?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

No. Both looked OK from the start. Steipermann also had the disadvantage of being played a LB. Neither cost as much either so not tying up money.

I am not stating they or Sargeant, even Tzolis SHOULD go, but if we can recoup much of the money we can sign players equally as good for far less.

Ok mate 

22 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Maybe just me but it didn’t feel like a very creative season. Watching Pukki make his normal runs but very rarely did anyone have the vision or ability to play the balls he used to thrive on.

Yes we can bolster / protect the defence but  if we can’t score goals it’s going to be a challenging season for players and supporters.  I don’t fancy a season of 0-0s with the occasional 1-0.

1 minute ago, Canary Jedi said:

Maybe just me but it didn’t feel like a very creative season. Watching Pukki make his normal runs but very rarely did anyone have the vision or ability to play the balls he used to thrive on.

Yes we can bolster / protect the defence but  if we can’t score goals it’s going to be a challenging season for players and supporters.  I don’t fancy a season of 0-0s with the occasional 1-0.

I’ll settle for 1-0s given that we didn’t even score for 8-odd hours at home at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

You mean you miss the flair players like a Hoolahan, Maddison, Emi that could magic something out of nothing? Yeah if you are I hear you buddy 

• Like 1

A ha, I didn’t say which way the 1-0 would go though! Anything like last 10 games performances it may not be the way we want!

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

You mean you miss the flair players like a Hoolahan, Maddison, Emi that could magic something out of nothing? Yeah if you are I hear you buddy 

Exactly. Priority 1 in my opinion. We need to find that flair midfielder. When we had those midfielders the strategy was simple: get the ball to them.

This season the strategy was … errr … to be honest I still don’t really know what we were trying to do. Pass it down the wings, don’t cross it but try to pass it into the 6 yard box to create a shooting opportunity. Nah, not good, don’t do that again please.

Flair player, get the ball to them, run at the opposition and create real chances. 

• Thanks 1