Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

This season was an utter disgrace

Abject failure on so many levels - recruitment, managers, playing style, engagement with fans and local media, half time entertainment … you name it.

Definitely time to cut our losses with Wagner. His style of football is outdated and will not work, even if new players come in. We’re so easy to play against and beat.

Having a full pre-season will not make a difference. Unless the style of play changes we’ll have the same outcomes next season.

Really, really disappointing and sad state of affairs at our beloved club. 

• Like 2

Need both Webber and Wagner out ASAP. Will relegate us next season. The last ten have shown that. 

• Like 1

Thank goodness Adrian Forbes was a summariser today and not Simon Lappin.

He actually tells it as it is….

• Like 1

I have no faith in this transfer window Weber need to go. I don't believe he will. I'm surprised that the fans is taking it so well

Just now, Olano said:

I have no faith in this transfer window Weber need to go. I don't believe he will. I'm surprised that the fans is taking it so well

Sums up how much of a passive, happy clapping, day out crowd that makes up much of our crowd. And this message board. 

We should be trying to pinch Adrian Forbes from Luton. He has talked more sense in one afternoon than any of our managers/players/co-commentators have spoken all season!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't care less about the engagement with the local media. It's not particularly local anymore. And it's gone from being reliable and relatively down the middle, to the point, to being click-baity. Such are the times though, I don't blame them, I just think the good favour has run out, as it did a long time ago with the national media.

Engagement with fans though, is incredibly important. And on the face of things, allowing this squad to become so delicate is damning. I hadn't considered it until January really, but leaving a squad so youth heavy with so few experienced players and players with leadership qualities is such a high risk gamble. One that we didn't need to make if they'd really cut the chaff out last summer.

Hugill, Sinani, Byram, Cantwell, even Dowell - all could have gone, their wages redistributed, any funds raised reinvested etc. I think that just highlights it.

22 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's a toss up between us and Chelsea for biggest underachievement in the whole football league. 

On the bright side at least we haven’t spent 300 million to be mediocre 

Our sporting director actually came out and said publicly im not 100% focused on the job, couldn’t care less if I get sacked and then we persisted with that individual and wonder why we’re worse than we’ve ever been under him. 

• Like 1

Form table last 10 games. Hurrah for Reading! Kept us off the bottom!

image.png
image.thumb.png.d0873f2a347f1883378d585acb9c3032.png

Edited by Canary Jedi

Just now, Canary Jedi said:

Form table last 10 games. Hurrah for Reading! Kept us off the bottom!

image.thumb.png.18fc9b4aa271c479f285488bba48e9da.pngimage.thumb.png.15ee909b40318533d36aab58ea45ca60.png

image.png

And people still think this clown needs a chance.

Finished 15 points behind Zurich after taking charge of three time consecutive champions Young Boys.

Before that, went a club record 18 games without a win at Schalke. 

If his best mate wasn't an unsackable Sporting Director by virtue of his wife being his boss, Wagner would be a ****ing pundit or unemployed.

Embarrassing state of affairs.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

And people still think this clown needs a chance.

Finished 15 points behind Zurich after taking charge of three time consecutive champions Young Boys.

Before that, went a club record 18 games without a win at Schalke. 

If his best mate wasn't an unsackable Sporting Director by virtue of his wife being his boss, Wagner would be a ****ing pundit or unemployed.

Embarrassing state of affairs.

Don't post those stats, I did when we made Wagner our manager and terminally yellow said I had an alterior motive !!

Proven right but the deluded happy clappers won't like it. 

It all starts at the top so D&M have to go.

They are past it and completely out of their depth by modern day requirements.

We are drowning in a pool of mediocrity at every level - ownership, management, coaches, recruitment, squad, academy etc etc.

It really is as simple as that.

The model is broken

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes usual clappers will be out telling us we moan too much and that we should look on the bright side…

Yep, was called a " shït young fan" today for voicing my opinion, "you young fans expect us to win every week and just think we should be in the Premier league every season, no wonder younger fans are shït" 

I'm 30 and I've been going since 1998 🤷🤷🤷 never seen this geezer before so guess he got a casual... 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yep, was called a "**** young fan" today for voicing my opinion, "you young fans expect us to win every week and just think we should be in the Premier league every season, no wonder younger fans are ****" 

I'm 30 and I've been going since 1998 🤷🤷🤷 never seen this geezer before so guess he got a casual... 

Branston Keeps calling me a troll for saying I want Webber and Wagner gone.  

There’s no hope with fans like those 

Just now, S_81 said:

Branston Keeps calling me a troll for saying I want Webber and Wagner gone.  

There’s no hope with fans like those 

You can add, hogesar,nutty nigel, terminally yellow to the list.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

At least Onel Hernandez signed a new deal. 😂😂

Even more money chucked down the drain.

Just now, Making Plans said:

Even more money chucked down the drain.

Half time at the Rotherham game, in the river end, a group were discussing how great it was he signed as he loves the club.

I pointed out that's all well and good, but he hardly scores or assets.

2 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Half time at the Rotherham game, in the river end, a group were discussing how great it was he signed as he loves the club.

I pointed out that's all well and good, but he hardly scores or assets.

If Hernandez is the upper level of our aspirations and ambition it's kinda worrying

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

If Hernandez is the upper level of our aspirations and ambition it's kinda worrying

I'm not sure anyone thinks he's the upper level of our aspirations, just a decent player to have in the squad.

• Like 2

The biggest disappointment is that we're progressively getting worse and, seem at every opportunity, to further embed the previous mistakes by doubling down on those very choices which have led us to this point. Two seasons ago we witnessed the club's most successful season in the second tier which combined a dynamic and skillful midfield sitting behind the club's most prolific goalscorer to slice through most of the division almost at will.

It's hard to fathom how we now have not one of those creators and goalscorers still contracted to the club. Our top 6 scorers and 7 of our top 10 assisters from 2020/21 have either been sold or released. Only McLean, Aarons, Idah and Sorensen remain among the players with 3 or more goal involvements. If you want a blueprint for how to dismantle a winning team then we've created it.

The players we currently have simply lack the key attributes required to succeed: skill, pace, movement, intelligence, creativity, determination, belief, leadership. Together they lack coherence, communication, understanding and shape.

The midfield is shambolic because the players are working as individuals rather than a unit. With one midfielder dropping between the center backs and others pushing on as wingers and strikers out of position, there's just one number 8 and a highly immobile number 10 competing against the entire opposition midfield.

Today they started in a pragmatic structure but, as the game went on, they reverted to their natural instincts: Onel out wide, not tracking, Tzolis effectively a second striker, Nunez tiring and just jogging about... a far cry from the previous seasons at this level. The replacements were even less coherent and it became hard to work out what formation we were actually playing, especially when out of possession.

We need a plan based around players playing in their natural positions - and that means signing a bunch of actual midfielders rather than all these strikers (Sargent, Idah and Tzolis) and number 10s (Sara, Nunez) and Hernandez really shouldn't be anywhere near a team competing for promotion due to his lack of end product and (more significantly) his awful positioning and lack of defensive work when we don't have the ball. That means we need a decent CDM to play along side McLean and three actual wide midfielders who understand how to defend as well as pass the ball.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm not sure anyone thinks he's the upper level of our aspirations, just a decent player to have in the squad.

Unfortunately that's all we have at the moment, squad players. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

... Our top 6 scorers and 7 of our top 10 assisters from 2020/21 have either been sold or released. 

Nice post

This bit is interesting and very depressing 

• Thanks 1