Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Just now, Haus said:

We've already signed a new player since those  statements, albeit for the development squad.  

We've had money coming in this window, it'd be strange not to try to use it at all

I can see us signing more development players

Given the fan fare around scouting South American markets and the success of Sara I’m surprised we haven’t revisited this more extensively (Reyes aside)

12 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

May based on what? 

Listen to the Pink Un podcast. It's incontrovertible that the club do not intend to do any more business unless a player is sold. That's literally the quote from Wagner. They've been saying this since the Austria tour. 

Read Michael Bailey's tweets. 

This isn't a hill I'm dying on. It's the facts as presented by people far more informed than any of us 

It is not a fact. Bailery is expressing an opinion ("I would be incredibly surprised"), no doubt based on what he has heard. But it has already been overtaken by events with the need for a replacement for Krul. More recent is what Davitt said two days ago about transfers in:

"In terms of frontline business, not unless big Andy moves on. DW mapped out the position pretty clearly after the Toulouse friendly. Could I see around the fringes and use of the loan market? Yes, particularly as there is a glut of games between now and the window closing and none of us know what happens with injuries."

Yet according to you he is wrong. There categorically won't even be any loan deals, no matter what happens.

• Like 1

Besides all this any management worth its salt should be constantly on the lookout and have the intent to improve their squad.

To my mind we need improvement in the striking options and more muscle in midfield. Some see the CB area vulnerable. I have a bit more faith in the youth here. 

It will be along hard injury-ridden season. We are already compromised by the longer term injuries to Hanley and Sorensen before a ball has even been kicked.

Where are we on squad number limitations as that should be the only impediment if we have that little bit of money available?

Any injuries to Sara and McLean and we will struggle badly. Nunez, gibbs, Sorenson just not capable of doing the same job.

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is not a fact. Bailery is expressing an opinion ("I would be incredibly surprised"), no doubt based on what he has heard. But it has already been overtaken by events with the need for a replacement for Krul. More recent is what Davitt said two days ago about transfers in:

"In terms of frontline business, not unless big Andy moves on. DW mapped out the position pretty clearly after the Toulouse friendly. Could I see around the fringes and use of the loan market? Yes, particularly as there is a glut of games between now and the window closing and none of us know what happens with injuries."

Yet according to you he is wrong. There categorically won't even be any loan deals, no matter what happens.

The last five seasons we have had a total of 14 summer loans in.

3 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Any injuries to Sara and McLean and we will struggle badly. Nunez, gibbs, Sorenson just not capable of doing the same job.

Yep regardless of whatever anyone says, we need signings and I expect they know that too. Im assuming they are awaiting to conclude outgoings before agreeing, which makes sense.

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Yep regardless of whatever anyone says, we need signings and I expect they know that too. Im assuming they are awaiting to conclude outgoings before agreeing, which makes sense.

Sadly I think they can be a bit stubborn and the only replacement will be for Andy o as briefed.

bit confused though as Webber spoke at great lengths about reinvesting early in the summer. Only Fassnacht really counts in that regard.

perhaps they are trying to make a surplus to expedite ground improvements .

1 minute ago, Soldier on said:

…perhaps they are trying to make a surplus to expedite ground improvements .

Quite. The idea that funds from player sales are automatically allocated to player purchases is slightly misguided. 

It’s like when I sold one of my guitars a few years ago and instead of buying another guitar, I bought a new mattress. 

2 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Quite. The idea that funds from player sales are automatically allocated to player purchases is slightly misguided. 

It’s like when I sold one of my guitars a few years ago and instead of buying another guitar, I bought a new mattress. 

NO doubt we've had a reasonable sum on wages from even the frees coming in, but we will have money to spend.  But I hear what you're saying

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

NO doubt we've had a reasonable sum on wages from even the frees coming in, but we will have money to spend.  But I hear what you're saying

Wage bill must be down considerably given the amount of players that have departed 

1 minute ago, Soldier on said:

Wage bill must be down considerably given the amount of players that have departed 

Yeah I'd expect so, especially with Krul on the way out. Him, Pukki and Byram were all reportedly well paid, Rashica and Aarons would have been too and even Hayden would have been getting a fair whack.

41 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Exactly. I doubt we'll be making a big splash but if a talented player becomes available on loan the club aren't going to turn their noses up.

1 hour ago, mrdi said:

I hope it was a lot more comfortable. 

Was is a straightforward purchase, or were there strings attached? 

22 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

There’s a Brazilian report online saying we are signing Pedro Lima on loan

DCM apparently 

Just now, Soldier on said:

DCM apparently 

I can’t say I have a clue who he is, but it would be funny given the arguments on here today

24 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

image.jpeg.bd5d07e6a472675b82b7c50cfb651394.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrdi said:

No one has really mentioned it but a lot of this seasons ins and outs must have  been done with one eye on next season as well as this season. With such a strong looking trio being relegated from the Prem we find ourselves with a strong looking Championship it would be a massive achievement to get City into the top 6  never mind the autos and of course...next season City find themselves without any parachute  funds or regular Prem funds for first time in quite awhile and us as a self sustaining club.

So it was essential to see the Aarons and Rashicas depart for some incoming returns plus get some high earners of the payroll and replace with free transfers and likely lower wage earners. The monies received from the likes of Max and Milot will im sure be hedged in the  likely scenario of us being a Champs side next season.

With all that in mind i think this Summer transfer window has been about as good as one could wish for and if the evidence of the first two games is an indicator for the season ahead its going to be  a fun and entertaining one..maybe on our off days some pretty big defeats  and on our good days when it all clicks some resounding wins. Lets enjoy the ride. OTBC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Not definite yet but:

ESPN Brazil are reporting that Lima will link up with City’s development squad but the ambition will be that the midfielder can force his way into Wagner’s first-team plans before the end of the campaign. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

Probably pretty fretful if so.

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

>tumbleweed gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not definite yet but:

ESPN Brazil are reporting that Lima will link up with City’s development squad but the ambition will be that the midfielder can force his way into Wagner’s first-team plans before the end of the campaign. 

Seems an odd loan arrangement. Guess they want to expose him to a different culture ?

9 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Seems an odd loan arrangement. Guess they want to expose him to a different culture ?

It might be one where the idea is we see how he adapts with a view to a permanent move here.

Probably not the CDM signing most of us were hoping for tbh.

I can see why Palmeiras might think it a good opportunity but I'm more concerned with our here and now.

We've done very well with our signings so far but not so sure on this one.

Still it's a low key squad fringe signing so no harm done and still a good window.

6 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

How on earth do you quote that and interpret it to mean anything other than nothing else will happen unless Andy O is sold? 

Let me be clear. The only business that will be done by norwich will be the goalkeeper replacement. This will only change if Omobamodiele is sold then we will sign a single center back to replace him. No one else is getting signed. Not on loan. Not for a fee. Not anything.

That's exactly what we've been told by anyone who has authority on such things. Anyone thinking anything else is going to happen are deluding themselves.

This Pedro Lima thing definitely not happening, then?

• Haha 2