Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I exactly said "not much faith". He is hard-working so bound to score a few goals but he doesn't strike me as a natural footballer. Certainly not someone who scares the opposition. And the same applies even more so to Idah. I would be OK with Sargent as the second choice but he isn't that. He is the first choice.

No offence but didn't you recently say you don't actually watch us play? Or am I mistaken?

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

No offence but didn't you recently say you don't actually watch us play? Or am I mistaken?

I think this is a different PurpleCanary to the original @PurpleCanary

1 minute ago, king canary said:

And your point is?!🤩 Seriously, I don't get to many games - normally five or six in a season - but I have the overseas TV pass, so I see a majority of the games, home and away, via that. And I have watched the five serious pre-season games. You can't notice everything that way, since the camera follows the ball, and I am nowhere near a professional judger of players. But over time I think I see and know enough to form a basic view.

26 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I think this is a different PurpleCanary to the original @PurpleCanary

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And your point is?!🤩 Seriously, I don't get to many games - normally five or six in a season - but I have the overseas TV pass, so I see a majority of the games, home and away, via that. And I have watched the five serious pre-season games. You can't notice everything that way, since the camera follows the ball, and I am nowhere near a professional judger of players. But over time I think I see and know enough to form a basic view.

Apologies, think I've got you confused with someone else.

Nothing to do with being in the ground- I remember someone else saying they don't watch us even on TV, thought it was you, clearly I'm wrong!

Seems to be a lot of players waiting in the exit lounge on top of all those already departed. 

Be interesting to see what that still means for incomings as while the squad was bloated it still feels pretty thin in places to me.

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

Apologies, think I've got you confused with someone else.

Nothing to do with being in the ground- I remember someone else saying they don't watch us even on TV, thought it was you, clearly I'm wrong!

No need to apologise, kc. I willingly admit I am not much of a judge of player. Never had even a minute of football coaching, and didn't play much, and when I did it was mainly in goal. Which Is why I can spot a few things there.

33 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Seems to be a lot of players waiting in the exit lounge on top of all those already departed. 

Be interesting to see what that still means for incomings as while the squad was bloated it still feels pretty thin in places to me.

Yes this is the key- I'm not quite sure what happens if Aarons is still here come the end of the window. We've then got him, Stacey, Fisher, McCallum, Giannoulis and now maybe Placheta all fighting for two spots. Omobamidele and Rashica have a more obvious role to play if they stay.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yes this is the key- I'm not quite sure what happens if Aarons is still here come the end of the window. We've then got him, Stacey, Fisher, McCallum, Giannoulis and now maybe Placheta all fighting for two spots. Omobamidele and Rashica have a more obvious role to play if they stay.

He clearly doesn’t rate Mcallum either if Placheta is used off the bench ahead of him !!!

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

He clearly doesn’t rate Mcallum either if Placheta is used off the bench ahead of him !!!

Not necessarily - perhaps he’s seen plenty enough of Sam there and wanted a look. Pre-season is the time to try stuff. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daisy said:

Aarons is off to Leeds.

That would be a disappointing if predictable move.

Disappointing in that he's not secured a top flight move. It perhaps goes to show perhaps how far his star has fallen if his big move which is hoped to restart his progression is to another Championship side. 

Predictable given we know how highly he's rated by Daniel Farke. 

Hope if so, we get a good fee out of them.  

Thinking it over, the wages that would be saved by moving on Krul, Aarons, Rashica, Tzolis and Andy O, if that's what the club are trying to do, must be an absolute fortune. I wouldn't be surprised if that's £150k worth of salary a week. 

Max’s stock ought to be quite high after the u21 tournament win - particularly as he showed some versatility slotting in well on the left. If he ends up at a Champs side that is not particularly great for either him or us, whoever it is. Surely it’s still more likely he’ll end up in a top flight somewhere (whether here or on the continent).

It is kind of funny how we're now linking every single ex Farke player to Leeds, Skipp, Gunn now Aarons. Happened with Gladbach too (I remember both Aarons and Pukki getting linked) but nobody made that move.

57 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Max’s stock ought to be quite high after the u21 tournament win - particularly as he showed some versatility slotting in well on the left. If he ends up at a Champs side that is not particularly great for either him or us, whoever it is. Surely it’s still more likely he’ll end up in a top flight somewhere (whether here or on the continent).

I doubt any Championship club could afford the fee and the wages Aarons could command. And I doubt Aarons would see such a sideways move as acceptable. I expect Placheta is being tried out at LB in case Gino leaves (his contract is up next summer). If he is, then a replacement has to be sorted, rather than be stuck as Gino possibly leaves on the last day.

Gino has said he is open to staying on, but City have yet to offer a new contract. Read into that what you will.

If Max is seriously considering Championship football (I really doubt it), then I'd be looking to renew his contract rather than strengthen a rival.

We'll get sod all if he goes to Leeds.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

I doubt any Championship club could afford the fee and the wages Aarons could command. And I doubt Aarons would see such a sideways move as acceptable. I expect Placheta is being tried out at LB in case Gino leaves (his contract is up next summer). If he is, then a replacement has to be sorted, rather than be stuck as Gino possibly leaves on the last day.

Gino has said he is open to staying on, but City have yet to offer a new contract. Read into that what you will.

Southampton now being heavily linked

Cant imagine that was what he had in mind...

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Max is seriously considering Championship football (I really doubt it), then I'd be looking to renew his contract rather than strengthen a rival.

We'll get sod all if he goes to Leeds.

Except for the better part of £10m.

Renewing his contract would mean having to find the money, persuade a player clearly set on leaving to stay and then find a way to actually play him given not to do so would just diminish his value further.

I made this point earlier (maybe in this thread) that I could see Aarons at any of the three relegated clubs. And each would represent a good move him, given I consider all three to be in with a high chance of promotion. Another promotion on his CV won’t hurt his credentials. 

The truth is, Max is overrated and overpriced. His value was highest when he had that ‘potential’ tag attached. He’s barely impressed in the last 2 years. Can anyone point to a MoM performance? I don’t think he gets into the starting 11 of any EPL club right now. And no-one is paying north of £5 million. Which is exactly why he’s still here.

Still has room to improve, but won’t get to the level some thought he might 3 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yeah I just don't buy him staying in the Championship. They can ask about him all they like but unless they cough up big time..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

'The Saints are lining up Aarons as a potential replacement'.

A potential ?

I wonder if S'ton have any City managerial links ?

6 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I made this point earlier (maybe in this thread) that I could see Aarons at any of the three relegated clubs. And each would represent a good move him, given I consider all three to be in with a high chance of promotion. Another promotion on his CV won’t hurt his credentials. 

The truth is, Max is overrated and overpriced. His value was highest when he had that ‘potential’ tag attached. He’s barely impressed in the last 2 years. Can anyone point to a MoM performance? I don’t think he gets into the starting 11 of any EPL club right now. And no-one is paying north of £5 million. Which is exactly why he’s still here.

Still has room to improve, but won’t get to the level some thought he might 3 years ago. 

What an odd post.

"but won’t get to the level some thought he might 3 years ago, or he will as  ' a high chance of promotion. Another promotion "

CV ? In that case Pukki should be an attractive signing. Come to that, look what Bobby Charlton has on his CV

That he regularly played for the England U21s suggests he is worth far more than your nonsense has. And I can assure you there will be plenty of players sold for decent fees come Sept 1st who are "still here" (currently with their clubs).

Sources in Ireland say we're on the verge of signing 19yp centre defender Emmanuel Adegboyega from Drogheda

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RobJames said:

What an odd post.

"but won’t get to the level some thought he might 3 years ago, or he will as  ' a high chance of promotion. Another promotion "

CV ? In that case Pukki should be an attractive signing. Come to that, look what Bobby Charlton has on his CV

That he regularly played for the England U21s suggests he is worth far more than your nonsense has. And I can assure you there will be plenty of players sold for decent fees come Sept 1st who are "still here" (currently with their clubs).

Honestly, are you ok? Your posts have become more and more erratic by the day on this forum. Now you're adding bold, barely making sense (what does that last sentence even mean?) and seem to be suggesting that teams sign Bobby Charlton?

10 minutes ago, RobJames said:

What an odd post.

What?

I’m saying he’s not EPL quality right now, and has had an average couple of years for us. Your counter is that he’s played for the England U21s? 

In terms of level, fans including myself thought he could be a top EPL footballer a few years ago. That’s the level I don’t think he’ll reach now. If he wants EPL football, the best bet may be to sign for one for the three relegated clubs and be there next year. 

I’m baffled you can’t grasp the point I’m making. Actually, no I’m not. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto