Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Diane Abbott suspended from Labour Party

As she should be. I read the letter expecting it to come from some random crank and was shocked to see it was from a sitting MP. 

Abbott has been sacked because she implied that racism was worse than other forms of prejudice, which undermines Labour's efforts to shake off its reputation for anti-Semitism.

I could be wrong but I think that Labour are quite glad they finally had a strong reason to kick her into touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with her. To send a 'draft' to the Intelligence Guardian was a mistake, now we will see a revival of all the lies about anti semitism again.

Ihere is no Jewish genotype, and therefore no such thing as a Jewish race, this has been firmly established, both scientifically, and in various court cases. Jews can absolutely be subjected to horrible prejudice and discrimination, but calling it racial discrimination i.e. racism, is nonsense.

Edited by nevermind, neoliberalism has had it

20 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

I agree with her. To send a 'draft' to the Intelligence Guardian was a mistake, now we will see a revival of all the lies about anti semitism again.

Ihere is no Jewish genotype, and therefore no such thing as a Jewish race, this has been firmly established, both scientifically, and in various court cases. Jews can absolutely be subjected to horrible prejudice and discrimination, but calling it racial discrimination i.e. racism, is nonsense.

And in a nutshell that's why Labour lost the last election. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I could be wrong but I think that Labour are quite glad they finally had a strong reason to kick her into touch.

Exactly. The letter in itself is just another Diane nailing herself to the cross episode. She will not let it go that the UK is not a racist nation but has racists living in it.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Exactly. The letter in itself is just another Diane nailing herself to the cross episode. She will not let it go that the UK is not a racist nation but has racists living in it.

And much fewer racists than most other nations. By all metrics we’re one of the most tolerant countries on the planet, I genuinely can’t see why some (and unfortunately it is predominantly those on the left) are so desperate to portray England as a nation of skinheads

Edited by Fen Canary
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Labour have had plenty of 'strong' reasons to give her the boot, so yes you're wrong. Again :

I also recall when Аbbоt wаѕ ѕurрrіѕеd thаt a hоѕріtаl hаd сhоѕеn `blоndе, bluе-еуеd ɡіrlѕ frоm Fіnlаnd, іnѕtеаd оf nurѕеѕ frоm thе Саrіbbеаn whо knоw thе lаnɡuаɡе аnd undеrѕtаnd Вrіtіѕh сulturе аnd іnѕtіtutіоnѕ' -- Мѕ Аbbоtt hаd аddеd: `Аnd аrе Fіnnіѕh ɡіrlѕ, whо mау nеvеr hаvе mеt а blасk реrѕоn bеfоrе, lеt аlоnе tоuсhеd оnе, bеѕt ѕuіtеd tо nurѕе іn multісulturаl Насknеу?' 😮

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

She will not let it go that the UK is not a racist nation but has racists living in it.

Same as every other nation in the world then and some have more racists than others -- According to 'World Population Review' the top ten racist countries are India, Lebanon, Bahrain, Libya, Egypt, Philippines, Kuwait, Palestine, South Africa & South Korea.

India's problem is that racism in society is legitimized by the bigoted regime. 

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

World Population Review.

They sound as trustworthy as the other web sites you get taken in by. 

I've travelled extensively and still do..

I suspect you find the Acle straight adventurous  

22 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Same as every other nation in the world then and some have more racists than others -- According to 'World Population Review' the top ten racist countries are India, Lebanon, Bahrain, Libya, Egypt, Philippines, Kuwait, Palestine, South Africa & South Korea.

You are making stuff up again. India comes in at 57 in the list of least racist countries out of 78 , and Palestine is not mentioned at all......but Israel and USA do feature in the top ten racist countries  . UK comes in at 16.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/least-racist-countries

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MooreMarriot said:

You are making stuff up again. India comes in at 57 in the list of least racist countries out of 78 , and Palestine is not mentioned at all......but Israel and USA do feature in the top ten racist countries  . UK comes in at 16.

Yet in the article I found, out of the 12 countries in Western Europe polled (I’d wager that Eastern Europe is more hostile to ethnic minorities than Western Europe), the UK came second onky behind tiny Malta (which has hardly any ethnic minorities) in countries whereby black people had experienced racism, therefore I find it hard to believe that the UK is the 16th most racist country in the world. You simply have to look at the treatment of black footballers in eastern and southern Europe and the number of mixed race children being born in the UK to know that we are one of the least racist countries on earth. 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2018/11/finland-shamed-as-the-eu-s-most-racist-country-in-new-report.amp.html

(Before anybody says it I’m well aware that this study only looks at a single ethnic group, but I very much doubt genuine racists are that picky about which races they would abuse)

1 hour ago, MooreMarriot said:

Palestine is not officially classed as a country (neutral statement). State of Palestine - Wikipedia

9 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Labour have had plenty of 'strong' reasons to give her the boot, so yes you're wrong.

OK, let me rephrase. Starmer's Labour.

10 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

And much fewer racists than most other nations. By all metrics we’re one of the most tolerant countries on the planet, I genuinely can’t see why some (and unfortunately it is predominantly those on the left) are so desperate to portray England as a nation of skinheads

Unfortunately brexit and the current tory party have a great stench of racism, bigotry and xenophobia to them. English nationalism has been in charge for these last few years and it ain't pretty.

Another example of the anti semitic views that ran through Corbyn’s Labour Party. It can be denied and obfuscated until the cows come home but unfortunately it’s very clear what is believed. 

11 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Surprised Japan is not in there to be fair. Pretty much anytime anyone non Japanese moves there they tend to get asked "When are you leaving and going home?" almost every day by strangers.

23 minutes ago, Yellowfuture said:

Another example of the anti semitic views that ran through Corbyn’s Labour Party. It can be denied and obfuscated until the cows come home but unfortunately it’s very clear what is believed. 

As it's no longer Corbyn's Labour Party shouldn't that be 'what was believed'?

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Unfortunately brexit and the current tory party have a great stench of racism, bigotry and xenophobia to them. English nationalism has been in charge for these last few years and it ain't pretty.

The Tories may be incompetent and corrupt, but I’ve not seen policies from them that I’d class as bigoted or xenophobic. Likewise with Brexit, wanting to limit immigration numbers is vastly different to racism.

Also in what way has English nationalism been in charge, and why is it always talked about as a bad thing while Scottish and Welsh nationalism is seen as positive?

Finally which nations do you feel are less racist than England?

Edited by Fen Canary
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Of course you do.

Cranks gonna crank.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

As it's no longer Corbyn's Labour Party shouldn't that be 'what was believed'?

What IS believed by Diane Abbott and many more I suspect who tried to defend the Corbynite position of Labour re Anti Semitism. I hope that SKS is successful in his drive to clean things up, I fear the views may still exist in some groups within the party but are less vocal, until of course an incident like a slip of the pen by Ms Abbott reveals her true thoughts.

19 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

So would abusing or discriminating against Muslims due to their religion not be classed as racism either then? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

The Tories may be incompetent and corrupt, but I’ve seen policies from them that I’d class as bigoted or xenophobic. Likewise with Brexit, wanting to limit immigration numbers is vastly different to racism.

You're either not paying attention to what Bravermann is doing, missed what Farage was doing or in complete denial of the clear and obvious bigotry they display. Not much different from the extreme Corbynites. 

I can't be arsed with your other bits of whataboutery. 

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

You're either not paying attention to what Bravermann is doing, missed what Farage was doing or in complete denial of the clear and obvious bigotry they display. Not much different from the extreme Corbynites. 

I can't be arsed with your other bits of whataboutery. 

Bravermann is trying to stop people entering the country illegally by paying people smugglers to ship them across the Channel in dangerous dinghies. You can argue about whether the policies they’re trying to pass to stop it happening are good or bad but it’s certainly not racist to want to stop them.

Farage is nowhere near power, so any posturing from him regarding the crossings is irrelevant. He was a single issue politician who managed to convince a majority that leaving was better than staying, that’s it. Again wanting to leave a supranational bloc or restrict immigration isn’t racism, they’re perfectly valid political positions. Racism is discrimination against somebody simply because they’re a different colour, religion, race, nationality etc. None of that applies to the examples you’ve provided.

I’ll assume you don’t have an answer as to why the (to my eyes) non existent English nationalism is bad yet when it’s the Scottish or Welsh variety it’s seen as a positive so you’ll try to dismiss it as irrelevant, despite the fact it was you who raised the point originally 

1 hour ago, Yellowfuture said:

What IS believed by Diane Abbott and many more I suspect who tried to defend the Corbynite position of Labour re Anti Semitism. I hope that SKS is successful in his drive to clean things up, I fear the views may still exist in some groups within the party but are less vocal, until of course an incident like a slip of the pen by Ms Abbott reveals her true thoughts.

The views still exist in many groups not just some members of the Labour party.

Abbots views are her own they are not related to the current leadership of the Labour party.