NeymarSmith

If we played Ipswich now

I think Liam Gibbs might be in with a shout...

Oh...

Edited by nutty nigel
💛😂💚... 💙😭🤍
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think Connor Chaplin might be in with a shout.

He'd certainly start ahead of a fully fit and firing Dowell or Sargent as a number 10 would he? Nonsense.

Did you think that when he got relegated with Barnsley and only another League One team picked him up?

Would Plymouth's number 10 certainly start ahead of those two? 

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We might have Ipswich, Luton and Peterborough to play next season. A little regional mini league on its own.

I'm starting to think that Peterborough are a bit like Fulham.. We can't play in the same divison or else the universe will explode or something

9 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He'd certainly start ahead of a fully fit and firing Dowell or Sargent as a number 10 would he? Nonsense.

Did you think that when he got relegated with Barnsley and only another League One team picked him up?

Your opinion but not mine. Take those yellow and green tinted glasses off as next you will be telling me Webber has done a brilliant job with recruitment these last 4 transfer windows.

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Your opinion but not mine. Take those yellow and green tinted glasses off as next you will be telling me Webber has done a brilliant job with recruitment these last 4 transfer windows.

Everyone who has ever played or watched football can tell you he isn't as good as what we have.

We're all disappointed with the last two seasons, we all think the recruitment has been pretty bad and most think Webber should be under pressure. I'm no happy clapper I can assure you, but that doesn't mean everything is a total shambles and all of a sudden League One players are the better than what we have.

10 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Players can improve though.

Wes Hoolahan was relegated to League One twice, Grant Holt was a League Two player when we signed him etc etc.

I've not watched Chaplin so can't comment on his abilities but just because he's in League One now doesn't mean that is his ceiling.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Wes Hoolahan was relegated to League One twice, Grant Holt was a League Two player when we signed him etc etc.

I've not watched Chaplin so can't comment on his abilities but just because he's in League One now doesn't mean that is his ceiling.

Getting relegated to league 1 does a lot of good long term to the bigger clubs. Most find a way to get promoted to the Championship and then the Premier League quite quickly over the last dozen or so years. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Of course, but they are the exception not the rule. 90% of players are in League One because they're League One players and his last stint in the Champs he got relegated meaning that my initial post is correct, he would not be a certain starter for us. He might be good enough for the next level up, and better than Dowell and Sargent but its not a definite. We might find out next year.

This season looks like an anomaly at the moment but if he scores a load next year in the Champs and looks better than what we have, I'll revise my opinion. At the minute, I stand by it 100% - he would not be a certain starter for us.

1 minute ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Of course, but they are the exception not the rule. 90% of players are in League One because they're League One players and his last stint in the Champs he got relegated meaning that my initial post is correct, he would not be a certain starter for us. He might be good enough for the next level up, and better than Dowell and Sargent but its not a definite. We might find out next year.

This season looks like an anomaly at the moment but if he scores a load next year in the Champs and looks better than what we have, I'll revise my opinion. At the minute, I stand by it 100% - he would not be a certain starter for us.

Would you swap him for Idah? I would. 

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

and expect to pay a bit on top.

20 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Of course you'd swap a Norwich youth product with an Ipswich League One player. No-one is surprised at that.

• Haha 1

I think some would swap a bird for a horse and then spout the waste product...

Edited by nutty nigel
🐤🐎💩

3 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Adam Idah would score 40 goals in league one 

Bold statement, he’d only have to find a further 39 goals then on this season’s tally. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Adam Idah would score 40 goals in league one 

Yet just 4 in 38 appearances for City in the Chumps (+ 0 in 14 for Ireland.)

I've wanted the boy to come good for too long but have been feed with crumbs that I've given up on him.

I thought Roy Keane's assessment of him after an Ireland game some time ago was harsh at the time when he pointed out that the player has all the attributes but 'manages to avoid goal-scoring positions.' This has proven to be true.

He's yet another non-scoring striker bound for the lower leagues.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Getting relegated to league 1 does a lot of good long term to the bigger clubs. Most find a way to get promoted to the Championship and then the Premier League quite quickly over the last dozen or so years. 

Who? I can't remember many of the past few seasons who have done that?

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Idah doesn't start for us if everyone is fit. Idah is also 22 and Chaplin is 26.

But yes I'd swap him for Idah right now, probably.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Aside from us and Leeds, who are you thinking of ?  I remember Forest going down to L1 but I thought they were back in the Champs for quite a while before getting into the Prem.  L1 is a league that is often underestimated and it's easy to get stuck in for a few years, just look at the scummers - they're still not assured of an automatic spot and this is the first time they've challenged after quite a few years down there.

59 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Who? I can't remember many of the past few seasons who have done that?

Southampton, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Leicester and ourselves to name a few. Sunderland and Coventry flirting with the top 6 too this season. The bigger clubs do very well once promoted from League one. 

39 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Southampton, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Leicester and ourselves to name a few. Sunderland and Coventry flirting with the top 6 too this season. The bigger clubs do very well once promoted from League one. 

Leeds spent ages in the Championship and Southampton was ages ago.

Anyway, of course the bigger teams eventually get back to the PL but that's because they're the bigger teams. Going to League One does not necessarily mean you'll get back to the PL quickly.

I'd also argue the gap is getting bigger between the leagues. Rotherham, Wycombe, Wigan, Peterborough, Barnsley, Charlton all came up and were back down again either straight away or very soon afterwards. That's just off the top of my head from the last few seasons.

Sunderland and Coventry won't go up this year and who knows what they'll be like next year.

It's almost like you're hoping/convincing yourself that Ipswich are somehow in a better position than us, when clearly they are not. The gap is maybe smaller than it was 2, 3 or 4 years ago I'll give you that, but we have no idea how they will fare next year. They could easily get relegated (if they even go up!) and we could make two or three key signings and win the league. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Anyway, of course the bigger teams eventually get back to the PL but that's because they're the bigger teams. Going to League One does not necessarily mean you'll get back to the PL quickly.

I'd also argue the gap is getting bigger between the leagues. Rotherham, Wycombe, Wigan, Peterborough, Barnsley, Charlton all came up and were back down again either straight away or very soon afterwards. That's just off the top of my head from the last few seasons.

Sunderland and Coventry won't go up this year and who knows what they'll be like next year.

It's almost like you're hoping/convincing yourself that Ipswich are somehow in a better position than us, when clearly they are not. The gap is maybe smaller than it was 2, 3 or 4 years ago I'll give you that, but we have no idea how they will fare next year. They could easily get relegated (if they even go up!) and we could make two or three key signings and win the league. 

Exactly this. It's an absolutely bizarre determination to pray to the skies that Ipswich are better than Norwich. If it were pretty much any other poster I'd be shocked.

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It’s a hard one to judge before next summer’s transfer business. I’d guess Ipswich will finish half way up next season if promoted. Some clever signings and who knows.

As far as ourselves go I haven’t a clue. Change of ownership sooner than rather than later would be a great start. It’s all a bit stale and safe at Carrow Road from the squad to the boardroom. 

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly this. It's an absolutely bizarre determination to pray to the skies that Ipswich are better than Norwich. If it were pretty much any other poster I'd be shocked.

As predictable as ever, you keep burying your hand in the sand and convince yourself you’re always correct. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As predictable as ever, you keep burying your hand in the sand and convince yourself you’re always correct. 

Correct about what? That I think my club, Norwich, in the Championship, might be a bit better than third-tier Ipswich?

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Correct about what? That I think my club, Norwich, in the Championship, might be a bit better than third-tier Ipswich?

Where have I said different? I didn’t even start this thread but just pointed out a few facts. It could be an eventful summer at Norwich.

You seem to think and have said it’s a formality to turn them over for 6 points when we next meet in the recent past. I’m just being a good scout and saying ‘Be prepared’

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sadly you’re wrong on this. There are several utter planks ( or closet binners) on here who have the same determination.

8 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Sadly you’re wrong on this. There are several utter planks ( or closet binners) on here who have the same determination.

It would seem if you don’t love Delia, Micky, Stu, Zoe and Kenny Mac you’re not a true City fan. I’m not an Ipswich fan, have seen them play once in the 80s and have never been to Portman Road. 

16 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He left Barnsley before they got relegated.