1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Time for a new stand"

Here we go again. And no, we don't go again. We don't built a brand new souless bowl stadium, as not only do we not have money but doing so would be pointless.

To be fair Cambridgeshire,  I’ve just walked around the stadium today. I don’t think you’ve seen it for a couple of decades. It looks tired, neglected in parts and not up to date. 

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s certainly looking a bit tired and haggard, time for a new stand or the big move away and build again? 

You mean build a new stadium? Not sure we have the budget for that.

Ah, this old chestnut. 

Yes, parts of the ground need modernising, but it's still in pretty good nick compared to some. However, we have also reached the point where demand is outstripping supply quite often, and the city of Norwich has grown quite a lot over the past decade or two and continues to expand rapidly. 

The club have purchased land behind the City Stand and the Barclay in recent times, so the plan is quite clearly to expand Carrow Road rather than start afresh elsewhere, which would cost an exorbitant amount in comparison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely looking a lot less tired than it was say, 5 years ago. We'll never get much of an update or a new stand until we can sustain the cost with several seasons in the Premier League. Until that happens we carry on

• Like 1

I think we should be the first football team to have a 5 sided stadium, yes.

or maybe we should make a roof and dangle spectators from it?

As an infrequent visitor to Carrow Road (just one time since lockdown was lifted) I feel that everything about the ground is fine/good/spot on except for the Main Stand which has become an anathema (to me at least.)

That tiny, old embarrassment of a stand reeks League 1. We are a club aspiring to be in the Premier League.

I associate it with dear old D & M as being well past its sell-by date.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Time for a new stand"

Here we go again. And no, we don't go again. We don't built a brand new souless bowl stadium, as not only do we not have money but doing so would be pointless.

The Amex is not a...........................'soulless bowl stadium'.  I still don't see how the City Stand can be properly extended. There is not the room behind. Yes you can 'build over' the road to some extent but the existing infrastructure space has little if any room for expansion. As a main stand' it is totally embarrassing and must be out of date within? 

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

The Amex is not a...........................'soulless bowl stadium'.  I still don't see how the City Stand can be properly extended. There is not the room behind. Yes you can 'build over' the road to some extent but the existing infrastructure space has little if any room for expansion. As a main stand' it is totally embarrassing and must be out of date within? 

Brighton and Brentford are one a few who got it right. Besides, given this was Brightons stadium for some time fair to say the Amex is an improvment..

488.webp

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

The only way would be to get rid of the road and build the stand in it's place. 

If we were to build a new stadium, it would have to be on the edge of the city. This would bad a shame imo. 

Can't see us ever having a new stadium unless more than one businesses/industries collaborate (spl?) on a multi-purpose venue.

The stadium isn't too bad. Some of the cladding looks knackered, despite green and yellow stripes and of course the less said about the main stand the better. The latter needs demolishing.

4 hours ago, NFN FC said:

The only way would be to get rid of the road and build the stand in it's place. 

If we were to build a new stadium, it would have to be on the edge of the city. This would bad a shame imo. 

Then there's no access to it for team coach, emergency vehicles, delivery vehicles or similar. If Riverside complex was about 50 yards further back and we had that kind of space in front of the embarrassment pretty much unused then fine. We don't.  

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Then there's no access to it for team coach, emergency vehicles, delivery vehicles or similar. If Riverside complex was about 50 yards further back and we had that kind of space in front of the embarrassment pretty much unused then fine. We don't.  

There'd have to be a re-jig of the access for sure but it would be doable. The team bus could easily have different access and emergency vehicles on koblenz avenue. 

Perhaps even going for a double basement level in order to pack everything in

14 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s certainly looking a bit tired and haggard, time for a new stand or the big move away and build again? 

Welcome back Tom Cavendish. 

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

First off, if you are saying "it must be out of date within" then you haven't seen inside so how would you know.

The plan is to build over Carrow Road. They may well have renovations to the stand as well, perhaps give anything that remains a face lift.

The club owns the strip of land between Carrow Road and the new ring road so there is actually a fair bit of space. I do enjoy watching people slagging off something before it even exists having clearly not kept up to date with something they are so vociferously passionate about - apparently. 

• Like 1

The City Stand is archaic and in a sorry decline. I've been sitting in it for over two decades.....the Cathedral Lounge is too small and as for the toilets....'Pfft'....

7 hours ago, chicken said:

First off, if you are saying "it must be out of date within" then you haven't seen inside so how would you know.

The plan is to build over Carrow Road. They may well have renovations to the stand as well, perhaps give anything that remains a face lift.

The club owns the strip of land between Carrow Road and the new ring road so there is actually a fair bit of space. I do enjoy watching people slagging off something before it even exists having clearly not kept up to date with something they are so vociferously passionate about - apparently. 

Well for your information, YR has been inside said stand attending seminars and training sessions in the 'corporate' suites. That is one of the reasons I made the comment which has been backed by others on here. I am also well aware that we own that 'strip of land' bordering the main road to which I would say.....'and your point is'?? Not a cat in hells chance of planning permission to allow permanent building structure on that as it would open straight onto the busy main road. To properly develop that stand into something impressive like the West Stand at Brighton requires space which we don't have. Yes we could pretty much cover the existing embarrassment with an upper tier which could arch back over the road but you would still surely need to encroach into Carrow Road itself? Liverpool are doing something similar but whether the existing road there is being maintained, diverted or simply built on I don't know.

23 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Brighton and Brentford are one a few who got it right. Besides, given this was Brightons stadium for some time fair to say the Amex is an improvment..

488.webp

Preferred going there rather than the London stadium

21 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I think the idea is for an extended City stand/ or completely new stand to go over Carrow Road and it to be continued to be used as a service tunnel in the same way that roads into stands at Old Trafford, Hillsborough and St James Park.

5 hours ago, kingsway said:

I think the idea is for an extended City stand/ or completely new stand to go over Carrow Road and it to be continued to be used as a service tunnel in the same way that roads into stands at Old Trafford, Hillsborough and St James Park.

Yes, I’m sure that’s what Ben Kensall explained that at one of the forums.

It’s got to be a complete rebuild though. The leg room is ridiculously tight for a structure opened less than 40 years ago and it’s all looking a bit tired anyway now.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes, I’m sure that’s what Ben Kensall explained that at one of the forums.

It’s got to be a complete rebuild though. The leg room is ridiculously tight for a structure opened less than 40 years ago and it’s all looking a bit tired anyway now.

Agree about a total rebuild but the counter argument is......'we've got nowhere in the ground to put the 3000 or so fans'+ 'dignitaries' of course if existing subbuteo was demolished. 

Hence the ONLY option is to put a second tier pretty much directly above. 

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Agree about a total rebuild but the counter argument is......'we've got nowhere in the ground to put the 3000 or so fans'+ 'dignitaries' of course if existing subbuteo was demolished. 

Hence the ONLY option is to put a second tier pretty much directly above. 

It is possible to do it in two phases as I've explained on here before. Build up the back and over the existing stand a top tier (the existing stand is so small and the space on Carrow Rd plenty to make it practical). When the top tier is complete, you can then demolish the old stand and rebuild a lower tier. The current work at Anfield and St Andrews show this is possible. This way you don't have to evict the current season ticket holders until their new seats in the upper tier are ready.