TIL 1010

They Say A Picture Paints A Thousand Words.

14 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Depends on how you define modern. The appointment of Bryan Gunn was far, far worse.

I don't agree. A manager has to be judged by what he inherited and, as Wagner has shown in his short time here, Smith inherited a good enough squad of players to do very well at the current level but failed miserably to either inspire or organise them into more than the sum of their parts. Simply compare Aarons, Sara, McLean, Hernandez, Nunez, Sorensen now with how they were performing under Smith. Even Tzolis, who was deemed surplus to requirements when Smith stated that he wouldn't play him this season, might yet come good. Gunn regressed us for a handful of games. If Wagner can't pull off the miracle, Smith regressed us for at least one season and probably more. And that's just on the pitch. I haven't mentioned his contribution to the discord between the club and the fans.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, percy varco said:

Smith chose his own direction totally oposite to Farke. A lonely path that alienated the fans

It should be a team game all the way down the line.

Maybe Webber takes credit for getting it back on track with Wagner but why did it go off track?

I never heard that DF had fallen out with,or lost, the dressing room. He was popular it seems. However, it became obvious that Smith was unpopular with the fans from the start. I do cut him some slack because I for one, and among many others, who didn't want DF sacked. So I probably didn't warm to Smith from the beginning. And when we were relegated anyway it became dislike because he had done no better than DF.

So while it was personal towards him, I do realise that it was Webber and the Board that made that decision and so they are equally guilty of losing the fans and the dressing room.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So while it was personal towards him, I do realise that it was Webber and the Board that made that decision and so they are equally guilty of losing the fans and the dressing room.

Weren't they just  and Wagner is slowly repairing that damage for them.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Weren't they just  and Wagner is slowly repairing that damage for them.

In managerial terms, it was similar to our ill-fated experiment with Jez Moxey as chief exec. One of those that I think we'll always look back on in years to come and say 'how did they ever come to the conclusion that that was the right call?'.

Still, onwards and upwards at the moment – and if we're honest, if we don't go up then a summer for Wagner to recruit afresh for the Championship might be better in the long term than sneaking up through the playoffs and getting buried again. We certainly seem to be back in alignment with the vision for the club that was developing under Farke. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, essex canary said:

I have always believed in the 'we are all in this together' logic.

From one High School Musical fan, to another.  I salute you!

• Haha 1

I think this quote from Smith on his relationship with Bali Mumba sums up his reign:

"I messaged him a couple of times and he replied, who is this? So he hadn’t obviously stored the manager’s number in his phone.”

This implies that even the players weren't expecting regular contact with Smith. Was this because Smith was more interested in golf than the squad? Or anything to do with his job? I'm sure you all have a view. 

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

From one High School Musical fan, to another.  I salute you!

Try this as a case in point.

In the latter years of the last century South Korea's Airlines had the worst crash record in the world. On one such occasion the Flight Attendant was heard saying 'The weather radar system has served us well tonight' seconds before the aircraft ploughed into a mountain. Of course what he meant was "the weather radar system would have worked well for us tonight if we had worked together as a team.'

South Korean Airways were taken over by an American. The safety record improved massively. Many of the flight attendants became successful pilots with many other airlines all over the world. 

Could be a motto for us.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Try this as a case in point.

In the latter years of the last century South Korea's Airlines had the worst crash record in the world. On one such occasion the Flight Attendant was heard saying 'The weather radar system has served us well tonight' seconds before the aircraft ploughed into a mountain. Of course what he meant was "the weather radar system would have worked well for us tonight if we had worked together as a team.'

South Korean Airways were taken over by an American. The safety record improved massively. Many of the flight attendants became successful pilots with many other airlines all over the world. 

Could be a motto for us.

Such tripe. 

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Could be a motto for us.

Norwich "All in this together" City..... Y'know, I like it... I like it A-LOT!

We could go full-on evangelical with it, and perhaps uncle Stuey could help us build an "All in this together" building for the cult love of our supporters:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/stuart-webber-to-join-club-chaplains-for-part-of-seven-in-seven-marathon-challenge

Oh it will be so magical and perfect, just think of the money love we can make share!! 

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I think this quote from Smith on his relationship with Bali Mumba sums up his reign:

"I messaged him a couple of times and he replied, who is this? So he hadn’t obviously stored the manager’s number in his phone.”

This implies that even the players weren't expecting regular contact with Smith. Was this because Smith was more interested in golf than the squad? Or anything to do with his job? I'm sure you all have a view. 

I really don't know shef what to think of the last regime. Looking back it honestly  looks like somebody was just taking the money. It does not look at all a very good appointment , just think where we could be if Wagner was appointed sooner. Wagner has been out of work for 9 months. 

Wagner and his team are what is making Norwich  tick just now . 

Remember back it could have been Frank Lampard ( my gut feeling is he turned us down ) and as luck would have it Smith became available. Whatever the whys and wherefores big glaring mistakes have been made. 

Tell me this. If you were the majority shareholders ie winnie and Deliah would you not be a little bit peeved off if your so called SD went for an interview with Chelsea . 

Now it would appear he is fully committed  again . Nice job if you can get it. 

A LOT OF THIS LAST YEAR IS A TOTAL CLUSTERFÙÇĶ.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Nope , Smith trump's rodent

Nope, not even close... as in, different continent type of distances.

Roeder ripped apart the heart of our team, treated Huckerby with utter distain. Rather than bring through the youth he publicly ridiculed them and sent them on loan. He had Hoolahan train with the youngsters for a bit too I believe.

With Smith I am not convinced it was personal. With Roeder, the fans, the players... he was hated. And the feeling was mutual. He was arrogant and dismissive in press conferences too. He was cold.

Grant may have not been much better, but at least he was a warmer character who brought through youngsters. You also have to remember that we had both of them after years of competitiveness under Worthington who was so much more likeable.

You only have to read players autobiography's to see that. Roberts wrote about them both shedding tears when Worthington informed him he'd not be given a new contract.

Roeder may as well have drop kicked Huckerby.

I can forgive managers for being in charge when relegated from the premier league. I cannot forgive managers that destroy the should of a team that ends up not wanting to play for each other and treats it's star players, fading or otherwise, young players, local reporters and fans with so much disrespect. Culminating in essentially what became too big of a task to stay in the Championship. 

Roeder didn't have a hard act to follow. 

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Such tripe. 

Not only that... I'm pretty sure it is absolute waffle. Unless I have missed the point, it would seem that supposedly the issue was that the pilots were using the weather radar instead of the altimeter or IRS to determine where they were in relation to the ground and taking advice about it from cabin crew.

Either way, my money is on Essex having shares in South Korean Airlines. I suspect he probably does in North Korean Airlines too. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Not only that... I'm pretty sure it is absolute waffle. Unless I have missed the point, it would seem that supposedly the issue was that the pilots were using the weather radar instead of the altimeter or IRS to determine where they were in relation to the ground and taking advice about it from cabin crew.

Either way, my money is on Essex having shares in South Korean Airlines. I suspect he probably does in North Korean Airlines too. 

I think the problem was that the seasonal pilot licences were passed down to their children. The parents had qualified for the licence but demanded that the same rights be bequeathed to the kiddies without them meeting the qualifying criteria. And, well, look.

At least Webber doesn’t have such trouble with mountains, and does so without adequate corporate governance. Bravo, Stuart. 

*None of the above is remotely true. Or is it..? *winking emoji* 

No, winking is not a typo. *eye-roll emoji* 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chicken said:

Webber declared an interest in Matthew Syyed's book 'Rebel Ideas". A similar Penguin product Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers- The Story of Success' is available from all good bookshops. Chapter 7 refers.

The other factors involved in the crash (Guam -August 1997)  were crew fatigue especially the Captain who opted to rely too much on his naked eyesight in poor weather conditions and misinterpreted the position of a beacon despite having used the airport previously. 

The most important factor in general South Korean Airways performance at the time was the deferential attitude to the  person in charge that put too much emphasis on one individual namely the Captain as opposed to teamwork.

Edited by essex canary

6 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I think the problem was that the seasonal pilot licences were passed down to their children. The parents had qualified for the licence but demanded that the same rights be bequeathed to the kiddies without them meeting the qualifying criteria.

Quite close. Perhaps 6 out of 10 at a push.

Parents had bequeathed to their offspring a culture that was not the best for flying planes.

8 hours ago, chicken said:

Either way, my money is on Essex having shares in South Korean Airlines. 

It would certainly have been an interesting one to have run alongside my NCFC shares for the past 20 years.

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

It would certainly have been an interesting one to have run alongside my NCFC shares for the past 20 years.

You have shares? 

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

You have shares? 

Apparently so but i bet nobody on the forum has picked up on it yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apparently so but i bet nobody on the forum has picked up on it yet.

Says the man who doesn't like repeats but asks questions to encourage them.

If only cops were as good at asking questions as FSA's. Maybe back in the day of Dixon of Dock Green and Columbo?

5 hours ago, essex canary said:

Quite close. Perhaps 6 out of 10 at a push.

Parents had bequeathed to their offspring a culture that was not the best for flying planes.

Anyone getting 6/10 in understanding your sidewinding drivel is doing pretty well, actually.  

Planet Ethics is a very odd place.  The centre of its very own universe.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, essex canary said:

Webber declared an interest in Matthew Syyed's book 'Rebel Ideas". A similar Penguin product Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers- The Story of Success' is available from all good bookshops. Chapter 7 refers.

The other factors involved in the crash (Guam -August 1997)  were crew fatigue especially the Captain who opted to rely too much on his naked eyesight in poor weather conditions and misinterpreted the position of a beacon despite having used the airport previously. 

The most important factor in general South Korean Airways performance at the time was the deferential attitude to the  person in charge that put too much emphasis on one individual namely the Captain as opposed to teamwork.

You're having a go at Webber for having too much influence. I suggest you talk to some of the long serving members of staff at the Club and ask them what it was like there when McNally was in charge. Webber doesn't even come close. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chicken said:

Roeder ripped apart the heart of our team, treated Huckerby with utter distain. Rather than bring through the youth he publicly ridiculed them and sent them on loan. He had Hoolahan train with the youngsters for a bit too I believe.

With Roeder, the fans, the players... he was hated. And the feeling was mutual. He was arrogant and dismissive in press conferences too. He was cold.

Have you stopped to consider something?

Glenn had a brain tumour before joining us and eventually died of same.

Consider another sports personality - Sevy Ballesteros. He had same and made a career comeback in between. The medics now consider that he probably had this condition in some form or another for 15 years. His coaches during his comeback period believe that something wasn't quite right.

Football Clubs have Boards of Directors that can take an overview of a situation.

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're having a go at Webber for having too much influence. I suggest you talk to some of the long serving members of staff at the Club and ask them what it was like there when McNally was in charge. Webber doesn't even come close. 

I am 100 per cent with you on that one. Webber on his own maybe 100 per cent better. I don't think any airline would have a husband and wife together in their 3 person crew though.

31 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Have you stopped to consider something?

Glenn had a brain tumour before joining us and eventually died of same.

Consider another sports personality - Sevy Ballesteros. He had same and made a career comeback in between. The medics now consider that he probably had this condition in some form or another for 15 years. His coaches during his comeback period believe that something wasn't quite right.

Football Clubs have Boards of Directors that can take an overview of a situation.

Yes, but that doesn't change the experience under him does it? It suggests that those close to him were letting him down too, and he arguably should have been sacked sooner if that was the case.

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Says the man who doesn't like repeats but asks questions to encourage them.

If only cops were as good at asking questions as FSA's. Maybe back in the day of Dixon of Dock Green and Columbo?

You certainly don't need any encouraging to infest this forum day in and day out with your tiresome ramblings surrounding the same old gripes.

On 05/03/2023 at 18:51, Deptford Yellow said:

Let’s not forget how bad Peter Grant was !

Absolutely, although by the end I disliked Roeder the most.

• Like 1