Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Middlesbrough

A sure sniff at automatic promotion now. We have virtually zero chance but I’d like to see them do the Blades. Master Carrick is doing a damn good job up there. 

• Like 1

They were good against us at CR earlier in the season - methodical and calm approach to it all, kept their focus well. Carrick is clearly going to be a good manager. Pleased for Howson to be doing so well in that team. Done Sheff Utd tonight too......

Edited by lake district canary

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Christ.Are they all that size from that part of the world ? The word is maybe. Not maybees.-

Honestly that guy in the video (Who I can confirm still to this day comes across as a ****) and the fact that Boro fans every single time we play them have some nonsense to say about that playoff final really does make them a club on my "not liked" list. Hope they bottle promotion.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Was at this game last night (only a mile from my house and friends season ticket was available). Carrick has done a superb job, given where the Parmo's were at the beginning of the season. They had a squad who looked totally disinterested. But last night, after experiencing a 10 minute blitz from the Blades, Carrick made a couple of minor adjustments mainly pushing Forss inside to become the "beat the press" out ball, and suddenly the confidence ebbed from the Blades and into the Parmo's. Akpom and Archer were a real physical handful for them, Howson as always a steadying hand on the tiller. A shame that Carrick wasn't picked up by an EPL team really.

On this showing these two clubs could easily end up swapping places by the end of season despite the current gap, and I'd honestly fancy our chances more against the Blades in the play-offs.

The Blades are again down to the bare bones as far as a fit squad is concerned and the back up players don't have what's needed to keep their show on the road. Some of the main players (Norwood, Berge and Ndiaye) are blowing very hot and cold (both from game to game and within games) and their defence consistently looks dodgy. The home crowd very quickly turned and were on the players backs, leaving the ground well before the end, a sure sign that not is all quite right at the moment at the Lane. We've more chance of catching them than Middlesbrough imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Was at this game last night (only a mile from my house and friends season ticket was available). Carrick has done a superb job, given where the Parmo's were at the beginning of the season. They had a squad who looked totally disinterested. But last night, after experiencing a 10 minute blitz from the Blades, Carrick made a couple of minor adjustments mainly pushing Forss inside to become the "beat the press" out ball, and suddenly the confidence ebbed from the Blades and into the Parmo's. Akpom and Archer were a real physical handful for them, Howson as always a steadying hand on the tiller. A shame that Carrick wasn't picked up by an EPL team really.

On this showing these two clubs could easily end up swapping places by the end of season despite the current gap, and I'd honestly fancy our chances more against the Blades in the play-offs.

The Blades are again down to the bare bones as far as a fit squad is concerned and the back up players don't have what's needed to keep their show on the road. Some of the main players (Norwood, Berge and Ndiaye) are blowing very hot and cold (both from game to game and within games) and their defence consistently looks dodgy. The home crowd very quickly turned and were on the players backs, leaving the ground well before the end, a sure sign that not is all quite right at the moment at the Lane. We've more chance of catching them than Middlesbrough imo.

Out of interest what is the local view on Heckingbottom? I wonder if he's in a Dean Smith type position that fans have never really been convinced by him despite being top 2 and thus might turn a bit quicker on him.

14 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Christ.Are they all that size from that part of the world ? The word is maybe. Not maybees.-

Doesn't help that Middlesbrough's claim to fame is the parmo.

A true delicacy, especially after ten pints, but eat two and an urgent visit to the cardiac unit in A & E probably awaits.

I'd much rather play the Blades than Boro if we get that far. Over two legs I think we can beat most teams though - apart from Watford if Sarr plays.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Good post, thanks. Carrick seems to be doing a great job so far.

Did you have to politely clap when the Blades scored!?

They're looking good for a playoff place at least.

With about a 3rd of the season still to go 12 teams remain in contention of making up the other 3 teams, it's that tight.

I always think that when it comes to the play-offs it's best not to have peaked to early. 'Boro have a lot to do to maintain this until the end of May.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Out of interest what is the local view on Heckingbottom? I wonder if he's in a Dean Smith type position that fans have never really been convinced by him despite being top 2 and thus might turn a bit quicker on him.

After Wilder (ignoring Jokanovic's short stay) he has still to get everyone onside but there is no criticism of him because he has had to work with the squad in front of him and had little or no cash to manage the squad. There have been grumblings over his use of subs, but other than that as they are in the automatic positions no-one is voicing any disapproval. Getting sent off in such bizarre circumstances last night has probably wedded him closer to the fans; you know what a strange bunch many of them are when it comes to anger management issues 😉!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

Good post, thanks. Carrick seems to be doing a great job so far.

Did you have to politely clap when the Blades scored!?

Of course - anyone showing signs of not being a fan risks at best a verbal or two, more likely a slap! 🙂

• Haha 1

Strongly wish I hadn't taken the (tenner) bet about finishing higher than Boro with one of the guys at work at the start of the season. Even more strongly wish I'd accepted the (£9) payout he offered me in October, when we were top two and they were flirting with relegation zone!

Edit - I have no idea what month it was in... (apart from too long ago).

Edited by All the Germans

Oh I'd much rather play the Blades in a playoff or playoff final. I think it is now twenty two matches played — nine two-leg semi-final ties followed by four finals — and they are still waiting to celebrate their first promotion via this route. They've also failed to score, outside a penalty shootout, in all four of those finals.

Of course ACN would be a factor but their fans basically give up if they don't get automatic promotion.

I've been to a couple of their games this season and they are strangely unimpressive for where they are in the table.

Edited by Barham Blitz
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2023 at 23:19, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly that guy in the video (Who I can confirm still to this day comes across as a ****) and the fact that Boro fans every single time we play them have some nonsense to say about that playoff final really does make them a club on my "not liked" list. Hope they bottle promotion.

So you go to the games against Middlesborough then?

On 17/02/2023 at 12:13, Flying Dutchman said:

So you go to the games against Middlesborough then?

Don't be daft.....