Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

McLean & Krul liability waiting to happen

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Fans on here don't think McLean is good enough for the championship despite 3 managers with Championship promotions regularly picking him and 2 titles to his name whilst those same fans jeer us passing it around the back trying to make an opening - then when we do go long jeer again because it's come straight back at us.

Essentially there's just a lot of pretty thick fans. 

That’s not strictly true is it, Skipp & Tettey before him sort of did this deep laying role now being tried by McLean. McLean is more effective further up left midfield or control midfield in the Sara slot.

He was pretty ineffective based upon his performance but as I said it’s because he was closed down so quickly and those other midfielders in Dowell,, Sara & Hernandez were never making themselves available, certainly not in the first half.

It might have been better to have played Sorensen there dropped Sara at half time and pushed McLean up further, I was a little surprised the same players came out second half if I’m honest we were in the game but certainly getting outplayed.

19 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed but the MOTM award could have been worse. They could have given it to Krul!!

Depends on your definition of MOTM. If it is for the player who did most to determine the result, then yes he should have got it. Burnley's best player by a mile... 

As for McLean, there's another thread about Norwich being a flat track bully for the rest of the season. I accept he is a good championship player, but he is the definition of a flat track bully. Can dominate against poor teams but when he comes up against any good team, either in the Championship or the EPL, he performs poorly. I have nothing against Kenny personally but if he is still a starter in our team after the next window, we have failed!  

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

As for McLean, there's another thread about Norwich being a flat track bully for the rest of the season. I accept he is a good championship player, but he is the definition of a flat track bully. Can dominate against poor teams but when he comes up against any good team, either in the Championship or the EPL, he performs poorly. I have nothing against Kenny personally but if he is still a starter in our team after the next window, we have failed!  

He now tries to hit killer 50 yard balls all of the time, and fails too often

We always make mistakes from the back. Why did Tim try to slot the ball past an attacker to a player hidden from his view ?

Smallest man in our team (Max) defending the goal post.

Where is the tall man Dimi - on edge of penalty box ??

Kenny is clever but not physical enough and as said by others makes so many mistakes.

Tim is a good goalie but always passing to either side without looking at closeness of attackers.

Why are we always defending from one edge of penalty area to other, leaving the wide men plenty of space.

Basically our defenders and midfield are not bulky enough and easily get knocked off ball. Need more robust players like Onel, look at any champ teams - Watford etc.

Don't think physical enough for Premier and haven't been, just knocked off ball too easily.

So we lose 0-3 to best team in league but all goals handed on a plate by not thinking were the ball is to go.

I find it very disappointing as been a City fan for 70 plus years and never lived in the county but travelled all over to see them in earlier days.

Just now, Mike w said:

We always make mistakes from the back. Why did Tim try to slot the ball past an attacker to a player hidden from his view ?

Smallest man in our team (Max) defending the goal post.

Where is the tall man Dimi - on edge of penalty box ??

Hanley is the answer. No leadership quality at all.

32 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

agree but he gets in the faces of opposition

1 hour ago, Alfie54 said:

He now tries to hit killer 50 yard balls all of the time, and fails too often

Despite hitting those balls he has a much higher successful pass % than Sara in the last game and this season as a whole.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Fans on here don't think McLean is good enough for the championship despite 3 managers with Championship promotions regularly picking him and 2 titles to his name whilst those same fans jeer us passing it around the back trying to make an opening - then when we do go long jeer again because it's come straight back at us.

Essentially there's just a lot of pretty thick fans. 

Pretty thick fan's?

You'll probably find those thick fan's know their jobs and are good at them. 

Postmen don't post letters to the wrong address every time they work. 

Retail staff usually know their products and availability. 

Bus drivers usually go the right direction all day. 

Chef's take pride in their work and keeping the customer happy. 

Unfortunately McLean isn't always doing his job properly, nobody on the field of play is perfect, but he's outstanding in his inability to concentrate til the final whistle and do his job.

All those thick fan's would get the sack if they were as inconsistent as him.

I'd be losing all my customers if I made that many mistakes. 

Edited by Number9

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Pretty thick fan's?

You'll probably find those thick fan's know their jobs and are good at them. 

Postmen don't post letters to the wrong address every time they work. 

Retail staff usually know their products and availability. 

Bus drivers usually go the right direction all day. 

Chef's take pride in their work and keeping the customer happy. 

Unfortunately McLean isn't always doing his job properly, nobody on the field of play is perfect, but he's outstanding in his inability to concentrate til the final whistle and do his job.

All those thick fan's would get the sack if they were as inconsistent as him.

I'd be losing all my customers if I made that many mistakes. 

And McLean does everything the manager asks him to do which is why he is picked every game and has been by the LAST THREE EXPERIENCED CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGERS WHO HAVE ALL PROVEN THEIR OWN ABILITY AT THIS LEVEL. Thus, your entire post holds no merit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And McLean does everything the manager asks him to do which is why he is picked every game and has been by the LAST THREE EXPERIENCED CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGERS WHO HAVE ALL PROVEN THEIR OWN ABILITY AT THIS LEVEL. Thus, your entire post holds no merit.

Calm down Hoggy. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Calm down Hoggy. 

I'm pretty nonplussed with the whole McLean debate but I must say it certainly does raise the blood pressure of more than a few on here, on both sides of the feud.

Not sure why Kenny gets peeps going so much - now Hugill on the other hand, what a f*cking donkey he was. 5 million buys you 'good in the dressing room' apparently. He must have been wicked good at making balloon animals at half time.

OTBC

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Capital letters, you're obviously right, you've won the Internet today.

I'm very sorry to have questioned your judgement. 

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I'm pretty nonplussed with the whole McLean debate but I must say it certainly does raise the blood pressure of more than a few on here, on both sides of the feud.

Not sure why Kenny gets peeps going so much - now Hugill on the other hand, what a f*cking donkey he was. 5 million buys you 'good in the dressing room' apparently. He must have been wicked good at making balloon animals at half time.

OTBC

Our Stu can spot a bargain, with wages an £8m steal. 

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You are Exactly right 

as you know i am no fan of Mclean but as i posted before i was told by a well respected ex pro 

He will do the job no questions whatever the manager asks him to do to the best of his ability 

he will give 100 % not moan about it 

I am sure kenny knows that is not his position he might not even like playing there but he does it for the team 

he might not be good enough but he will try his very best every game 

i was told excellent player to have in the squad not PL quality but a great player for championship sides ( not my words ) 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Capital letters, you're obviously right, you've won the Internet today.

I'm very sorry to have questioned your judgement. 

It's not my judgement you're questioning, it's the judgement of three proven championship managers a their coaching team.

You're more than entitled to have that size of ego but why you wouldn't expect to be questioned god only knows.

Even with capital letters it's a comment that goes completely missed by so many on here.

Edited by hogesar

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Why is he captain then? 

I am not his greatest fan and believe we can afford better. But he's quite clearly a leader. 

Deary,  Deary me. Don't tell me wagner is going to be as thick as the last two managers. Is Webber  the only intellectual genius and not a thick twàt at the club. 

Burnley were class 👏 we were not so good . We had an off day. Good lesson learned. Webber take note of Burnley and there methods . All I'll say you (big bad Stu) were very lucky that David Wagner was out of work at the right time. He could in theory still bale you out. WAGNER is good .

Edited by Mengo

Despite hitting those balls he has a much higher successful pass % than Sara in the last game and this season as a whole.

Presumably if he was less ambitious his % would improve further, as would his effectiveness 

47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's not my judgement you're questioning, it's the judgement of three proven championship managers a their coaching team.

You're more than entitled to have that size of ego but why you wouldn't expect to be questioned god only knows.

Even with capital letters it's a comment that goes completely missed by so many on here.

I agree with you entirely that those three are Championship managers. 

I don't think those managers have proven themselves capable of being Premier League managers for more than a season or two at a time. 

I'm not trying to argue with you or wind you up Hoggy, but for all the good points you have, it would seem strange to discount the opinions of thousands of supporters who watch us play and can with their own eyes compare our players to other players they see from around the world. 

Some of them might be thick, but that's not defined by just having a different opinion to you and three managers who can't get a job in the Premier League. 

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Why is he captain then? 

I am not his greatest fan and believe we can afford better. But he's quite clearly a leader. 

🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I agree with you entirely that those three are Championship managers. 

I don't think those managers have proven themselves capable of being Premier League managers for more than a season or two at a time. 

I'm not trying to argue with you or wind you up Hoggy, but for all the good points you have, it would seem strange to discount the opinions of thousands of supporters who watch us play and can with their own eyes compare our players to other players they see from around the world. 

Some of them might be thick, but that's not defined by just having a different opinion to you and three managers who can't get a job in the Premier League. 

Three managers who aren't managing in the Prem right not, two who have kept sides in the Premier League and a third who is managing in one of Europe's top 5 leagues is still considerably more relevant than any fans opinion.

If we were talking about the Premier League you'd have a point - both in regards to the managers and McLean himself 

Poor old Kenny, first chance and the haters are back hating...

Next time we change the manager the first interview question needs to be "will you pick Kenny?"

• Haha 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Three managers who aren't managing in the Prem right not, two who have kept sides in the Premier League and a third who is managing in one of Europe's top 5 leagues is still considerably more relevant than any fans opinion.

If we were talking about the Premier League you'd have a point - both in regards to the managers and McLean himself 

We surely need to be talking about the Premier League, that has to influence any discussion for us, in my opinion. 

Maybe that's where our differences lie, I believe we've failed to take the chances we've had past few years.

I'm thinking about Premier League sustainability. 

On 04/02/2023 at 15:07, Grick said:

The way our defence play with short passes, looking back / sideways rather than forward and always inviting pressure you almost provide the opposition with an extra attacker. After 6 minutes today we lost 2 key facets of a good team: confidence & pace and we never looked like a top half, let alone top 6 team.

Playing short from the back is not exclusive to us. Most sides play that way now. It’s just the likes of Krul, Hanley, Gibson and McLean are not good enough with the ball, especially in tight situations. 

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

But all of them have never had a decent CDM option.. when Farke had Tettey, McLean couldn’t get a game, and only did when Leitner was injured. 

Kenny often plays in the wrong position. He is now- he is effectively our DM currently. He is not one. People keep saying that there is no DM option at the club.

There is Lungi. That is his position. People say that he is not good enough. How do we know? He has never had a run of games. The only couple of times he did play was alongside McLean which was doomed to fail. He has been unlucky with injuries .

As for McLean he has more than justified his pittance of a transfer fee but I don’t see how he fits into a 4-3-3.