What’s happened to Jamal Lewis? He went to Newcastle, he was dropped out of their 25 man squad 12 months ago and I don’t remember him being mentioned since either in the first team or pending transfers. 

Just now, Jersey Canary said:

What’s happened to Jamal Lewis? He went to Newcastle, he was dropped out of their 25 man squad 12 months ago and I don’t remember him being mentioned since either in the first team or pending transfers. 

He’s picking up £50k a week and chilling. 

• Like 2

He played in a recent cup match, but was subbed on the hour. Has he made the Toon's 25 post January window? I doubt it.

9 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

He got put back in the 25 man squad in the summer when Eddie Howe said he was going to give him a shot.

Which I presume means he failed to land the left back he wanted.

He's only played 2 games this season, 1 in the Premier League and 1 in the cup and spent some time out with a pelvic injury.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Must admit, I thought the injury was dragging on for him... I remember being talks about him coming back and making a push in the team, but look at them flying.   Big ask to jump ahead of Targett, and now Burn seems to be making it his.  

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Must admit, I thought the injury was dragging on for him... I remember being talks about him coming back and making a push in the team, but look at them flying.   Big ask to jump ahead of Targett, and now Burn seems to be making it his.  

I never really rated him beyond clearly being a good athlete.

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Will never forget this though

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think he and Max on either side brought a nice symmetry to the team though.  I really like Dimi but he's more weighted towards the offensive side of the game - I think Jamal was more balanced, as Max is.

May be a fair bit of rose tint going on there though...   One thing I always remember with Jamal was seeing him concentrating so hard he'd be have his tongue folded over and biting it mid-game.  🙂

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think he and Max on either side brought a nice symmetry to the team though.  I really like Dimi but he's more weighted towards the offensive side of the game - I think Jamal was more balanced, as Max is.

May be a fair bit of rose tint going on there though...   One thing I always remember with Jamal was seeing him concentrating so hard he'd be have his tongue folded over and biting it mid-game.  🙂

£15m was tremendous business to be fair. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

£15m was tremendous business to be fair. 

As was the £25m+ for Godfrey.... What an earth did we do with it all? 🙂

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

As was the £25m+ for Godfrey.... What an earth did we do with it all? 🙂

Wow! Forgot that one. Both could be joining Josh at Oxford next season. 

11 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Martin Olsson was my favourite post-Drury left back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wow! Forgot that one. Both could be joining Josh at Oxford next season. 

To be fair Godfrey looked decent last season but broke his leg 10 minutes into the first game of this season and didn't return to action until last month. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Martin Olsson was my favourite post-Drury left back.

Yeah he was very good, aggressive and strong too from what I remember. 

Wasn't there a sour period though? Brain is failing me a little, but i'm sure he disappeared and people thought he had a sulk or something but someone close hard passed away?  Or was he not happy to play for us at the start of one season(?!)

Probably got that completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He’s picking up £50k a week and chilling. 

See. Now you can say that about Lewis.

But when I said the same thing about Skipp, who's never been our player, certain posters go potty.

21 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

See. Now you can say that about Lewis.

But when I said the same thing about Skipp, who's never been our player, certain posters go potty.

Only a facking idiot would want to have the same discussion twice in a week. 

We've already established that some people think money is more important than fulfilment.  

I guess thats why i dont care that much about money  ....and you obviously do.  

Happy now? 😇

Edited by wcorkcanary
Get out clause emoji attached 😜

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be fair Godfrey looked decent last season but broke his leg 10 minutes into the first game of this season and didn't return to action until last month. 

He also did a really good job marking Haaland when Everton got a 1-1 draw at the Etihad. Still a top player, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move onwards and upwards if he can stay injury-free.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He also did a really good job marking Haaland when Everton got a 1-1 draw at the Etihad. Still a top player, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move onwards and upwards if he can stay injury-free.

Needs to nail down a position though, played all over the place for Everton. Actually looked pretty good for them as a marauding right back.

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Needs to nail down a position though, played all over the place for Everton. Actually looked pretty good for them as a marauding right back.

I still think his future is as a centre back, although Everton already have Tarkowski, Coady, Keane and Mina. I guess a lot depends on whether they stay up this season as to how many of those are at the club next season (and, indeed, whether Godfrey is!). I wouldn't want him to become one of those players whose versatility stops them from progressing due to constantly being shoe-horned in wherever there's a gap (Phil Jones, Phil Neville etc.).

Godfrey was average when he was here and is nowhere near PL level. He might make a decent right back with his athleticism but he has no brain whatsoever and that is crucial at centre half. Incredible business getting 25m for him

We've had Mark Bowen and Adam Drury at left back but over the last 50 years I'd put Jamal in 3rd place behind them. Going back a bit further I can't remember anyone going past Alan Black twice. If you didn't see Alan Black play he was what you might call effective..... 

26 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Many say midfield is his calling?

We signed him from York as primarily a holding midfielder, then Farke turned him into an excellent centre back. I'd just hate for his versatility to stop him being an established player – it's hard enough as it is to make it at the top level, without constantly being shunted around from one position to another. Whichever position it is, I hope he can focus on it soon!

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

(Phil Jones, Phil Neville etc.).

To be fair I'd take 58 England caps and 505 Premier League games like Phil Neville, but I do know what you mean... problem is his natural position was occupied by his slightly better brother at Man Utd.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Newcastle now have an incredibly solid defence, they are conceding very few goals, easily the best record in the Premier League. I'm not a fan of them buying their way to success with Saudi money.  But, it's not at all surprising they've upgraded and Jamal has lost his place.  

• Like 1