TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

2 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

Deli Ali

Possibly but Ali has never refused to play just went right off form, still playing on loan.

Feel a bit sad about the way it has worked out so badly for Todd and really hope he can find a decent club and realise at least some of his potential.

The way Deli Ali's career has fallen off the cliff is incredible and Todd should look at that as a stark warning that it has happened to far better players than him

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

The lad needs to listen to a few good trusting people and regain his focus and drive, he could be a hell of a player.

Sadly, I don't think he has anyone, who he actually listens to, who can fill that role!

As has been said many times, both he and Emi were in a similar place 2+ years back. Emi got his head down, Tod didn't.

26 minutes ago, rock bus said:

The way Deli Ali's career has fallen off the cliff is incredible and Todd should look at that as a stark warning that it has happened to far better players than him

If you learn about Dele's background I think he's done wonders to get where he has done personally.  It's easy to sit and point fingers, but remember, you can have every material possession in the world but it won't fix your head.

3 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Just hurry up and go now, was really hoping he'd be the new chosen one when he burst into our scene but as it is It's about time that number 14 went to someone who deserves it, todd couldn't lace up wes' boots at this point unfortunately. 

Wish him well going forward but what a waste. 

Liam Gibbs has the making of a new Norwich legend.

Not a playmaker of course, but the Norwich Mark Noble.

New heroes and all that.

I just want to see people who work themselves to the bone week in week out, play for their shirt, the ones you get the sense would play on with two teeth stuck in their forehead like Gary O'Neil.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

If you learn about Dele's background I think he's done wonders to get where he has done personally.  It's easy to sit and point fingers, but remember, you can have every material possession in the world but it won't fix your head.

As much as its always sad when somebody has a tough upbringing (just googled, alcoholic parent and a period in foster care)... its not about where you are from but where you are going, and he's going nowhere. 

“I once cried because I had no shoes to play soccer, but one day, I met a man who had no feet.” - Zidane

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

its not about where you are from but where you are going, and he's going nowhere. 

It's one thing to be poor in your past, it's a whole different psychological situation to have rejection, loss or god knows what else in your past.

The guy has already over-achieved.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

It's one thing to be poor in your past, it's a whole different psychological situation to have rejection, loss or god knows what else in your past.

The guy has already over-achieved.

Sure.

Without wanting to pit players against each other in some sort of grief contest.... there are countless examples of players who make it from absolutely horrendous backgrounds. Just to give you one... Carlos Tevez, mother abandoned him at 6 months old, father was killed at 6 years old, him and his two siblings brought up in abject poverty by his chronically ill aunt. 

There has been a professional player in England who was a child soldier who came here as a refugee.

I still don't understand why Dele Alli is more into computer games and designer clothing than he is his football. 

I mean, if he's looking for some motivation to break a sweat he could open up schools in Nigeria and then try and play on for as long as possible to try and fund them? Saka has funded 120 life saving operations in Kano.

Dele Alli spends a metric tonne on designer clothing, wearing new £10k outfits every time he is papped. He seems more than happy to live the lifestyle of a top professional footballer but less keen to do the work it requires. 

As I said, its not where you came from but where you are going.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

As I said, its not where you came from but where you are going.

Depend what "It" is in your example.  If Dele finds happiness in settling down and having a loving family around him, then your definition means ****e.   Open your eyes, not everything is based on fame and success.

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Depend what "It" is in your example.  If Dele finds happiness in settling down and having a loving family around him, then your definition means ****e.   Open your eyes, not everything is based on fame and success.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Are we talking about the same Dele Alli?

Dele Alli who buys countless watches worth £100k+ and drives a £300k Rolls Royce into training at Everton during a relegation battle before doing f*ck all on the pitch? The Dele Alli who lost his super model girlfriend because of his computer game addiction?

That Dele Alli?  

Like I said, wants to live the lifestyle of a top player but not prepared to put the work in to be a top player. The Norwich Dele Alli was the perfect analogy. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Dele Alli who buys countless watches worth £100k+ and drives a £300k Rolls Royce into training at Everton during a relegation battle before doing f*ck all on the pitch? The Dele Alli who lost his super model girlfriend because of his computer game addiction?

So, it's never been known for someone mentally unwell to throw their money away on material possessions in attempt to feel better about themselves, or have an addictive trait?

As said above, he'll probably only know what he's been missing when he settles down and feels secure and loved as part of a family unit.  Fact still remains that he's way over-achieved vs many in that position already, as has Todd vs most of the kids he grew up with.   I mean, neither are sitting here posting the ****e that you do.  😉

Both could well have demons that they face in their day to day life that won't go away, but they cope and function as best against.   Who knows.

Edited by Google Bot

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

So, it's never been known for someone mentally unwell to throw their money away on material possessions in attempt to feel better about themselves, or have an addictive trait?

As said above, he'll probably only know what he's been missing when he settles down and feels secure and loved as part of a family unit.  Fact still remains that he's way over-achieved vs many in that position already, as has Todd vs most of the kids he grew up with.   I mean, neither are sitting here posting the ****e that you do.  😉

Both could well have demons that they face in their day to day life that won't go away, but they cope and function as best against.   Who knows.

To a lesser or greater extent we all have our demons, but the only way to deal with them is to take ownership of them and act sensibly to sort them out, rather than looking for others to blame.

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

To a lesser or greater extent we all have our demons, but the only way to deal with them is to take ownership of them and act sensibly to sort them out, rather than looking for others to blame.

I have a Unicorn

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I don't know many people who have had an easy life with little adversity.

I'll reserve my thoughts and sympathies for 2.17 million people relying on foodbanks to feed themselves and their kids, or those on top up metres who are sticking a tenner a day in their metres to keep their homes warm this winter. 

You carry on worshipping false icons.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'll reserve my thoughts and sympathies for 2.17 million people relying on foodbanks to feed themselves and their kids, or those on top up metres who are sticking a tenner a day in their metres to keep their homes warm this winter. 

Do whatever you want, fact is Dele has already over-achieved.

And if Todd is struggling, I wish him luck in that battle - If that's to the detriment to his footballing career, so be it.  I won't paint someone a failure if they're struggling.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Sure, tell that to the kid who's been abused throughout their life and made to feel the one to blame for it.

I don't give a hoot about Dele Alli or see the relevance here. For that matter I don't care what Cantwell spends his money on or what he chooses to post to social media - as long as he's not posting far-right hate or similar, it simply has no relevance to his footballing ability. It seems that many of you get hung up on these superficial things which are a total distraction.

As far as football goes I still don't understand the source of all the negativity towards Todd. Unless you're actually party to information that supports the suggestion that he doesn't give 100% then it's purely conjecture. I've never witnessed him give less than 100% on the pitch at Carrow Road. It's pretty obvious that he simply hasn't fitted into the system since we switched away from the 4-2-3-1 he was so effective in.

It's perfectly understandable for a player to become frustrated when they're dropped for an extended period. As @Parma Ham's gone mouldy says: all players want to move clubs - for the signing on fee, increased wages, progressing their career. There is nothing unusual about Cantwell wanting to move on. The only unusual thing is: a) playing a system which doesn't maximise the strengths of your players, and b) leaving some of your best players out of the team/squad because they don't fit the tactics you're trying to play.

We all know that much of the problem was Dean Smith so I'm struggling to understand why Cantwell's apparent lack of form is supposedly down to him personally. I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to the players. Cantwell needed better management and it's a failure of the club that he's now totally out of favour and apparently moving on. He was an excellent part of the Farkeball system that brought us so much joy and he hasn't suddenly lost his ability.

One final thing: I wonder what Getafe fans thought about Buendia before he was shipped out on loan then sold. I doubt they thought they were losing a future £30M player. Sometimes players need a change of scenery to flourish. I've seen enough from Todd to know that there's a top player in there. I'm disappointed that he's not played more in the last 18 months and I hope he does well in the next phase of his career.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I don't give a hoot about Dele Alli or see the relevance here. For that matter I don't care what Cantwell spends his money on or what he chooses to post to social media - as long as he's not posting far-right hate or similar, it simply has no relevance to his footballing ability. It seems that many of you get hung up on these superficial things which are a total distraction.

As far as football goes I still don't understand the source of all the negativity towards Todd. Unless you're actually party to information that supports the suggestion that he doesn't give 100% then it's purely conjecture. I've never witnessed him give less than 100% on the pitch at Carrow Road. It's pretty obvious that he simply hasn't fitted into the system since we switched away from the 4-2-3-1 he was so effective in.

It's perfectly understandable for a player to become frustrated when they're dropped for an extended period. As @Parma Ham's gone mouldy says: all players want to move clubs - for the signing on fee, increased wages, progressing their career. There is nothing unusual about Cantwell wanting to move on. The only unusual thing is: a) playing a system which doesn't maximise the strengths of your players, and b) leaving some of your best players out of the team/squad because they don't fit the tactics you're trying to play.

We all know that much of the problem was Dean Smith so I'm struggling to understand why Cantwell's apparent lack of form is supposedly down to him personally. I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to the players. Cantwell needed better management and it's a failure of the club that he's now totally out of favour and apparently moving on. He was an excellent part of the Farkeball system that brought us so much joy and he hasn't suddenly lost his ability.

One final thing: I wonder what Getafe fans thought about Buendia before he was shipped out on loan then sold. I doubt they thought they were losing a future £30M player. Sometimes players need a change of scenery to flourish. I've seen enough from Todd to know that there's a top player in there. I'm disappointed that he's not played more in the last 18 months and I hope he does well in the next phase of his career.

You seem remarkably defensive of Cantwell and conveniently overlook the fact that his demise started long before Farke left.

Edited by Naturalcynic

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We all know that much of the problem was Dean Smith

Smith inherited this issue as it occurred under Farke's time in charge, plus his first starting 11 featured bringing Todd back into the team.  So not sure i wholly buy that, to be honst.

10 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I have no problem with players moving on, it is the 2 years of will he won’t he, the fact he has hardly played when the team has been desperate for his skill set, and the distraction I perceive it has caused that I object to.  Absolutely nothing against Todd as a footballer, and proud he grew up near me.  When he finally retires, he is either going to hate us like Dan Mills does, or regret the lost opportunities over the last couple of seasons.  It is just sad, for me not personal, I am surprised you see it differently, but I guess it is all based on opinions.

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

You seem remarkably defensive of Cantwell and conveniently overlook the fact that his demise started long before Farke left.

I'm now genuinely baffled as to where you're getting your information from. Cantwell played over 80 minutes in almost every game from December 2020 to the end of the 20/21 season after recovering from injury. He was a key player in that season with 6 goals and 7 assists. His decline only started when his natural position was removed from the team after promotion. Everyone struggled in those few games before Farke was sacked.

I'm not being at all defensive, just not irrationally negative about him like some on here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

the fact he has hardly played when the team has been desperate for his skill set

Why on earth are you blaming him for not playing? He doesn't pick the team. I was really disappointed in Smith for not playing him.

27 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Parma Ham's gone mouldy
   On 14/01/2023 at 11:02,  ricardo said: 

I always rated him highly but he seems to have felt that the club wouldn't give him the contract he felt he was worth.

We will shortly find who was correct.

Indeed.

When he was hot - and he was - his agent pushed for him to leave.

There was interest. Talk of Leeds willing to go to £15m.

We wanted more. Webber didn’t like the way his agent acted. 

Perhaps there was an element of making an example of his agent-him to strengthen the club’s hand in other negotiations (as they saw it). 

Many in football thought his agent was right. That that was his ‘hot’ moment. 

As things stand you have to say the agent was right (not a phrase you hear widely in football).

Parma  

• Like 1

Just now, Petriix said:

Why on earth are you blaming him for not playing? He doesn't pick the team. I was really disappointed in Smith for not playing him.

I am not in the changing room so good chance I am wrong.  There are three reasons I think Todd should reflect;

1) Both Farke and Smith played him and gave him opportunities, he did not do enough to stay in the team,

2) It is his career and he must take responsibility for his performances and output,

3) There are other player whose contracts have run out and they have been part of the team to the very end, for example Rupp, & Vranic, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Parma Ham's gone mouldy
   On 14/01/2023 at 11:02,  ricardo said: 

I always rated him highly but he seems to have felt that the club wouldn't give him the contract he felt he was worth.

We will shortly find who was correct.

Indeed.

When he was hot - and he was - his agent pushed for him to leave.

There was interest. Talk of Leeds willing to go to £15m.

We wanted more. Webber didn’t like the way his agent acted. 

Perhaps there was an element of making an example of his agent-him to strengthen the club’s hand in other negotiations (as they saw it). 

Many in football thought his agent was right. That that was his ‘hot’ moment. 

As things stand you have to say the agent was right (not a phrase you hear widely in football).

Parma  

At the time, most people thought he was worth more than 15M, so Webber was not the outliner at that point.  Normally players get a pay rise and a new contract when a formal offer is turned down, I was under the impression when Webber and Todd’s agent discussed a new contract the agent wanted his wages to go up, but would not accept an extension to the contracted period.  Is this hogwash / was it actually ever reported?

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

1) Both Farke and Smith played him and gave him opportunities, he did not do enough to stay in the team,

Same at Bournemouth too, sadly.

I think Smith was very much an accommodator in his approach to team selection.  And if Cantwell was showing enough, a position would've been there for him. 

So as much as I respect what @Petriix says above, we have also got to consider the fact that a player needs to exist for the position to be valid enough to exist.

So should we similarly blame Dowell for his absence from the team? He's played less than Cantwell and arguably been similarly out of form?

The truth is that there was no place for these less physical, more creative players in Smith's tactics. They were probably being asked to perform roles which were outside their skill sets. It's unsurprising that they struggled.

It's a similar story in the last weeks of Farke's tenure. Cantwell was initially tried as a winger then an 8 in the 4-3-3. In a totally incoherent midfield.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes. I'm not sure why Dowell was given a chance under Wagner but Cantwell wasn't. I do know that it's irrational to assume Todd himself is the problem, certainly unless/until any real information comes to light. 

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

So should we similarly blame Dowell for his absence from the team? He's played less than Cantwell and arguably been similarly out of form?

The truth is that there was no place for these less physical, more creative players in Smith's tactics. They were probably being asked to perform roles which were outside their skill sets. It's unsurprising that they struggled.

It's a similar story in the last weeks of Farke's tenure. Cantwell was initially tried as a winger then an 8 in the 4-3-3. In a totally incoherent midfield.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes. I'm not sure why Dowell was given a chance under Wagner but Cantwell wasn't. I do know that it's irrational to assume Todd himself is the problem, certainly unless/until any real information comes to light. 

We’re all entitled to our opinions, and most of them are based on assumption and conjecture, but I don’t understand why you claim that it’s irrational to assume that Todd himself is the problem when what evidence we have suggests otherwise.