rock bus

Why no tactical subs today?

Todd would’ve spent even more time on the floor than usual against that bunch of thugs. 
i though both full backs had a poor game and a change to three at the back may have been worthwhile. But  we seem to want to play by bypassing midfield, so putting an extra body in there was probably out of the question. 

1 hour ago, Wirecanary said:

Was criminal not bringing subs on last 10 .. surely that scenario exactly what hugill made for and Hernandez .. to just do nothing and keep trying same old was just unbelievable… clueless clown ..  we need 1/2 new faces on pitch in Jan too to have any chance of top 6 .. 

Agreed. That and the totally ridiculous 'front three' with a centre forward on one wing and another centre forward on the other! The Finn was even more isolated than when we played 5 in midfield under Farke in the PL! 

Idah displayed some lovely hold up play and lay offs at times but apart from the one shot second half he was being played totally out of position. Ditto Sargent.  

• Like 2

Ultimately the person put in charge of todays game hasnt acted in the best interests of the club with his non activity in that last 10 mins and didnt do everything within his power with 4 subs remaining to try and retrieve something.

Unforgivable

• Like 1

Inexperience and panic probably.

I like Alan Russells heart but as we saw with gunny and Adams you can love this club but that doesn't make you a good manager.

Kinda on topic re subs...

Did anyone else watch Toddy warming up today and feel he just didn't give a sh1t?

Lad will end up and King's Lynn if he's not careful 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

14 hours ago, astro said:

Todd would’ve spent even more time on the floor than usual against that bunch of thugs. 
i though both full backs had a poor game and a change to three at the back may have been worthwhile. But  we seem to want to play by bypassing midfield, so putting an extra body in there was probably out of the question. 

You thought both full backs had a poor game.Any creativity we had came from Aarons on the right. He was clearly one of the best players on the pitch.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Why do we pay for a set piece coach when we dish up the same old corners.?

Tell you what, let me do it and I only want half his wages!!

And all Watford's chances (especially the goal) came from our attacking set-pieces - Russell's supposed main technical skill & raison-d'etre! Why Nielson wasn't given the responsibility I am equally confounded by. 

15 hours ago, astro said:

Max was good but Sam is just too error prone, one of the worst possible traits in a defender. 

Todd simply isn't strong enough. Oppositions know this so they kick him to kingdom come; I think he's had enough & wouldn't be surprised if he gives it all up soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CDMullins said:

So why/how has he gone from a player who big clubs were looking at, to struggling to get anywhere near our team?

Having time off, 

A loan to our rivals,

Coming back from breaks unfit (confirmed by managers)

Even Todd's most ardent supporters have to recognise that something significant has happened/is happening with him.

Farke dropped him completely fairly suddenly.

Smith immediately brought him back in but just as quickly dropped him again.

Bournemouth took him on loan and he wasn't exactly a consistent fixture in their side.

Now even the interim manager(s) won't put him on the pitch in spite of his obvious talent.

That's too many people with independent views, motivations and goals for it to be a coincidence or a conspiracy. As you said, big clubs were sniffing around him and now he can't get on the pitch in a 1-0 loss against Watford. He either has a terrible attitude, is terribly unfit, or is going through something terrible off the pitch that we're not aware of.

I have no idea what's going on but we can't say 'Todd is our most talented player, why isn't he on the pitch?' any more. It's beyond the stage where you can put it down to managerial negligence.

• Like 3

the phone signal went from Directors Box 

Nephew Tom was talking to the Catering Team when he said "No subs today "

Russell's ear piece went dead and missed the "No subs today we want real sandwiches "

• Haha 1

I think we'd have been better not starting with our main 3 attacking options, as we had all cards on the table from the outset and left us no room for a gear change.

Love Onel to bits, and yes he pleases the crowd coming on but very rarely does he create as he's usually trying to cram so much into 15 mins of play which accentuates his wasteful side.

Would've been much better to have started with Onel out wide and give him more time to see what he can deliver.  Leaving us with a fresh legged attacking option that we could bring on after 60-70 mins (Idah/Sarge/Pukki).   

Cantwell was the only real option on that bench, but he's miles from being where he should be.

Russell froze in that second half, and I think it was a case of not seeing a better option than what we already had on the pitch, and maybe a fear of disrupting the game further which was already stop start.  The way it was going a substitution break would've probably seen multiple Watford players lay on the floor claiming cramp.

Before kickoff I was quite keen on him having more time as interim, he certainly made noticeable changes in the few days he had with the squad.  Must really hurt walking away with only 1 point from 6 though.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

You thought both full backs had a poor game.Any creativity we had came from Aarons on the right. He was clearly one of the best players on the pitch.

I thought his tracking back was abysmal, and his use of the space he was afforded was mediocre. Teams will always have an attacking outlet, and in this game it was Max - our goals scored, their goals scored, and the number of Max assists, goes to show he had a poor game. 

19 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

Pukki, Idah, Nunez and Sara off, Hugill, Hernandez, Todd and Dowell on, surely worth it for the last 15 mins at least

For the entertianment value, possibly. The no touch Hugill shuffling aroud the box, nothing else. The one trick pony Hernadez. Todd an Dowell would have been no worse than the two amigos. Not sure if I can remember when the last time no tacticalsubs were used in a game. All very odd.

• Like 1

The lack of substitutions was our main topic of conversation as we walked to catch the bus home. Nunez looked off the pace and Gibbs was walking a second yellow tightrope. If nothing else you would have thought fresh legs would have been a help...........

21 hours ago, rock bus said:

I honestly can’t understand why we didn’t make any tactical subs today? Clearly wasn’t working with 3 upfront again.

If you were interim manager would you not make at least 2 or 3 changes to get a result?

Might as well lose 2-0 by trying to win it.

Webber really needs to get this managerial appointment right.

20 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

Pukki, Idah, Nunez and Sara off, Hugill, Hernandez, Todd and Dowell on, surely worth it for the last 15 mins at least

20 hours ago, Wirecanary said:

Was criminal not bringing subs on last 10 .. surely that scenario exactly what hugill made for and Hernandez .. to just do nothing and keep trying same old was just unbelievable… clueless clown .. we need 1/2 new faces on pitch in Jan too to have any chance of top 6 ..

18 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ultimately the person put in charge of todays game hasnt acted in the best interests of the club with his non activity in that last 10 mins and didnt do everything within his power with 4 subs remaining to try and retrieve something.

Unforgivable

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

For the entertianment value, possibly. The no touch Hugill shuffling aroud the box, nothing else. The one trick pony Hernadez. Todd an Dowell would have been no worse than the two amigos. Not sure if I can remember when the last time no tacticalsubs were used in a game. All very odd.

Allan Russell is taking advice from Gareth Southgate!!!
When I read that NCFC' Interim head coach Allan Russell and England's head coach Gareth Southgate were close/buds and he (AR) would ask/get/take advice from him (GS) while he was in charge of NCFC.
I started to worry a bit as some of the poor game management examples (in regards to tactical subs) that (GS) has shown during all the tournaments/games he has been England's boss (IMHO)