Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Michael Bailey - "Wagner 1 of 4 shortlisted""

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

So how many more attractive managerial posts do you think there are in football? 200? 500?

And how many competent managers do you think there are out there? 

We're not Real Madrid or Man City. If we change managers mid-season then the only people who will be interested are well-known figures with a track record like Smith, Redknapp, etc. who happen to be unemployed and willing, or people we've never heard of where it's a big step up.

And whatever preparation for recruitment or discussions the club there may have been, there's no way we'll ever know about it any more than when Farke, Smith, or any other manager was appointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Knutson turned down brighton so why on earth would he come here?

It's a bloody sight colder up here than Brighton so he'll feel more at home 🤭

47 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

SexyBennett just posted on Twitter, I’ve no idea how reliable but seems many thinks it is.. I’m absolutely gutted if it’s true as I wanted Knutson in all along.

“Found out something though - that BEFORE DS, KK was in advanced talks but when DS was available, KK inexperience in the English game, and compo compared to experience & no compo was the major factor.”

If that is true, then it is a crazy and hoples as it's geths

Knutsen was not leaving before January the first, last time, that was probably a important factor?

6 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Whoever it is has to be appointed with an eye to the long term future and they must be given time beyond the end of the season should promotion not happen, failure to go up will mean big cutbacks so it has to be someone who is deemed capable to re-build on a small budget.

Assuming of course the takeover doesn't happen.

There are so many variables; we might get promoted, we might not, we might be skint, we might not.

Perhaps in Webber's view Wagner is best placed to deal with any if them. 

Agree we do need a period of rebuild and reinventing ourselves regardless of which Division we're in.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

All plans fail at first contact with the enemy.

Smith is respected and liked in the game everywhere but Norwich and he got at best indifference from fans even when we were top of the league, and an atmosphere so toxic at the end that he kept his family away.

Til pointed out a sarcastic response by Webber about clapping fans regarding appointment of a new manager that underlines to me that the board acted because the fans would never accept Smith and the atmosphere was destroying morale; not because they thought he wasn't a competent professional.

I can't see a competent manager wanting the job any time soon.

Really. Yet  Villa still sacked him. Let him go and bore some other fans.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Jesus @littleyellowbirdie, Smith was sacked because we were (are) in free fall having won just 3 out of 12 games culminating in losing to the side who were in 16th place and down to 10 men. It wasn't a witch hunt, he just abjectly failed to come up to the minimum required standard in his position.

There are relatively few managerial positions as prestigious and Norwich City. I know people will laugh at that but it's likely one of the top 100 or so posts in world football. The Championship is something like the 6th highest league in Europe in terms of regular supporters/viewers and the chance of managing in the Premier League is afforded to very few people. I imagine there are many hundreds of competent managers out there who would love the chance to get involved in a club as successful as ours.

Whether Webber has the skills to identify and appoint one of them is a separate question which remains to be answered. 

Well before we were in freefall, we were top of the league; the comments and sentiment in the match threads to our drab 1-1 home draw to Reading were far more positive, phlegmatic, and forgiving than anything anyone had to offer when we were doing much better.

The match atmosphere was better at Reading the whole game than anything in that whole run, regardless of how disappointing the performance was.

Does seem strange that all bookmakers other than BV no longer have any betting on next Norwich manager if there are still 4 candidates and plenty of cash to be made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Latest article on the athletic suggests Wagner is one of four shortlisted. Expects an appointment made next week. No names or hints as to the other three.

The uninspiring short list is. Wagner, Steve Bruce, Russell and Rus Martin.

I'd be more inspired if we had someone like Warne, Dyche, Gerrard,  however i'd be in dream land if we could get, Keiren Mackenna, Schumacher, Bielsa or Solskjaer.

Edited by Mullet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

From what I heard Parker was our main target only for him to break down in laughter when asked to be our manger and then he ran off to Brugge fast as he could

I can't imagine that they would have ever considered Parker after what happened at Bournemouth - he more or less gave up before the  season started.

Just now, Badger said:

I can't imagine that they would have ever considered Parker after what happened at Bournemouth - he more or less gave up before the  season started.

Mister slow, boring play it sideways is not how we play best

1 minute ago, Mullet said:

Mister slow, boring play it sideways is not how we play best

In the real world, you play however you have to to get a result against the opposition in front if you.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I know the club haven't confirmed this, but I'd be surprised if we approached anyone currently in work. Don't think we'd be able to pay compensation on top of what we've had to shell out to sack Deano and his entourage.

Does it follow thern wolfie that the January transfer pot is empty ?

Webber has no more a succession plan for Smith than he did for Farke.

Smith fell into his lap a few days after Farke was sacked by being sacked himself.

Wagner is an old pals act and an out of work convenient choice

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mullet said:

The uninspiring short list is. Wagner, Steve Bruce, Russell and Rus Martin.

I'd be more inspired if we had someone like Warne, Dyche, Gerrard, or Ainsworth however i'd be in dream land if we could get, Keiren Mackenna, Schumacher, Bielsa or Solskjaer.

No it isn’t.

41 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Whoever it is has to be appointed with an eye to the long term future and they must be given time beyond the end of the season should promotion not happen, failure to go up will mean big cutbacks so it has to be someone who is deemed capable to re-build on a small budget.

Even without parachute payments our budget is bigger than the majority of championship clubs.

38 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We're not Real Madrid or Man City. If we change managers mid-season then the only people who will be interested are well-known figures with a track record like Smith, Redknapp, etc. who happen to be unemployed and willing, or people we've never heard of where it's a big step up.

And whatever preparation for recruitment or discussions the club there may have been, there's no way we'll ever know about it any more than when Farke, Smith, or any other manager was appointed.

Our role will be attractive, we just need to be conscious of our market.  Knutsen, and coaches in the champions league, and other real top line experienced coaches are not coming to Norwich.  There is still lots of options out there who would love the opportunity.

Webber and whoever he involves need to go for the best option available.  I thought it was interesting to hear than Allan Russell was brought in by the club.  He was quite forceful around that point, not sure why?

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Even without parachute payments our budget is bigger than the majority of championship clubs.

It may be, but we presumably have larger commitments as well.  We certainly have a larger squad than most.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I'd be surprised if we spent much after last year's losses. That's the trouble with "going for it:" you have to pay for it later if it doesn't work. Net sales are more likely imo - especially players who would get a decent fee and are on short  contracts, like Max.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don't know Tilly, I'm just guessing. My thinking is that if we've already had to shell out a seven-figure sum to pay off Deano and his staff then we'd be reluctant to pay a similar amount to buy out a new manager's contract if we could find a suitable candidate we didn't need to pay for. As ever, no inside knowledge here and I could be way wide of the mark.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Smith fell into his lap a few days after Farke was sacked by being sacked himself.

What would your expectations for the process for a mid-season managerial replacement be?

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It may be, but we presumably have larger commitments as well.  We certainly have a larger squad than most.

Yes, but I expect that there will be a lot of outgoings at the end of the season - contracts not renewed etc. I forget the number who are out of contract but it is quite a large number and I'm sure that we would like to shift others e.g Giannoulis and probably Krul.

Edit - found it. I doubt that we will keep more than one or two of the following + possibly none.

image.png

Edited by Badger

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think he screwed up, he thought we need to play with a different formation and style to compete in the premiership.  Farke could not get it to work, then DS found the squad was not strong enough when he started chopping and changing.

DF was more successful than DS, does Webber stick or twist.  Part of that decision will be influenced by the takeover and what Webber wants to achieve.  It will be an interesting appointment.

The shortlist is probably always there and perhaps gets tweaked from time to time, I'm sure it hasn't been quickly scribbled down after Smith's sacking. 

Also the Parker appointment at Brugges hasn't just happened, it must have been in the pipeline so I don't think he was ever under consideration. And Knutsen is never happening.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What would your expectations for the process for a mid-season managerial replacement be?

I would expect him to have a list of every manager who has preformed at +/- our level across the world.  These then will have a set of criteria assessed against them, style, attitude, club culture, personal aspiration for example.

when the role comes up you overlay the practical considerations, budget and what they want.  Then interview your preferred 4 or 5 and appoint.

sounds quite tricky, but the more senior the role the smaller the pool, normally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The shortlist is probably always there and perhaps gets tweaked from time to time, I'm sure it hasn't been quickly scribbled down after Smith's sacking. 

Also the Parker appointment at Brugges hasn't just happened, it must have been in the pipeline so I don't think he was ever under consideration. And Knutsen is never happening.

Whoever it is, we need someone who can find a way to get the best out of what we currently have; there doesn’t appear a lot of ££ spare.

Some of the recent goals conceded have been pretty ridiculous (or referee influenced) and I’d lool to start from the back.  No idea if that was one of Wagner’s strong points?

Edit: I don’t thing Knutsen is an option and never has been for either this or last time, despite tweets to the contrary. The number of vacancies across the world in the last year and he’s still with Bodo, which surely tells something.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I find the Parker link weird, I can’t see where the logic for him is, he spent 150 Million when he took Fulham up out of Championship.

what would he get from the role, to repeat for a third time what he has already done.  Bruges makes far more sense.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think he screwed up, he thought we need to play with a different formation and style to compete in the premiership.  Farke could not get it to work, then DS found the squad was not strong enough when he started chopping and changing.

DF was more successful than DS, does Webber stick or twist.  Part of that decision will be influenced by the takeover and what Webber wants to achieve.  It will be an interesting appointment.

Farke wasn't more successful than Smith. Like for like with the same squad last season, Smith had better points per game and better goal difference per game.

The only reason Farke has a better overall record is having had three seasons at championship level with a better squad against two at Premier League level instead of half a season at premier League level with a sub-standard squad assembled under Farke and half a season at Championship level trying to rebuild, which was Smith's situation.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I would expect him to have a list of every manager who has preformed at +/- our level across the world.  These then will have a set of criteria assessed against them, style, attitude, club culture, personal aspiration for example.

when the role comes up you overlay the practical considerations, budget and what they want.  Then interview your preferred 4 or 5 and appoint.

sounds quite tricky, but the more senior the role the smaller the pool, normally.

That seems reasonable. What grounds are there  to believe this hasn't happened either now or any other past managerial appointment?

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Farke wasn't more successful than Smith. Like for like with the same squad last season, Smith had better points per game and better goal difference per game.

The only reason Farke has a better overall record is having had three seasons at championship level with a better squad against two at Premier League level instead of half a season at premier League level with a sub-standard squad assembled under Farke and half a season at Championship level trying to rebuild, which was Smith's situation.

Maybe, although Farke knew exactly how the side would play every match and they did it fantastically well, every player knew their role.  Under Dean Smith I never saw that clear coached style, the players appeared confused.  That for me was the reason he had to go, and possibly it was not his fault as that could have been the remit he was given.

I also do not think the player were better technically, but they did play to their strengths and were recruited for those exact strengths.

I genuinely think this is a strong squad of individuals, I do not recall a squad with as many full internationals in it.  We just do not play as team.  Rashica has left us and looks like a top European player again, has his ability changed in the time he has been in Turkey, I think not.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That seems reasonable. What grounds are there  to believe this hasn't happened either now or any other past managerial appointment?

If this process has happened..and it turned out to be Wagner who Webber previously appointed at Huddersfield it would be a "lucky coincidence"...