Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

What's The Point of Getting Promoted ?

With the last two championship titles under Daniel, we failed to stay in the PL, and that was with a squad who walked the Championship. 

So just imagine if our mish mash squad fluked winning the Play Offs and yet again got promoted. It would be another disastrous season with our current players, and as we have no money to buy in players that could give us a chance of survival, so I ask, "What's The Point?"

I know the club want promotion for financial reasons, but our squad is simply not good enough for the PL. Realistically, with many players out of contract, a new manager coming in and wanting to shape the squad in his own way ( which takes time), are we not better off rebuilding next season in the Championship,?

Webber has put us in this position due to poor recruitment of players and of Dean Smiths appointment.  We need a season to rebuild, not one anchored to the bottom of the EPL with everyone laughing at us. 

For me, as long as I see entertaining successful football at Carrow Road, I am happy. Only when we have the finances, the players and coaching staff who can compete in the EPL, should we even start to think about the top level. The time is not now.

Happy New Year to you all. 

• Like 2

I suppose when you see Brentford comfortably mid table, you have to believe we can be

Brentford will never be a bigger club than us...but we have to hope that one day we have competent people running and managing the club

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I suppose when you see Brentford comfortably mid table, you have to believe we can be

Brentford will never be a bigger club than us...but we have to hope that one day we have competent people running and managing the club

Look at Fulham. Fair play to them.

11 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I know the club want promotion for financial reasons

You’ve answered your own question 

31 minutes ago, daly said:

To come back down again🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻

That happens to almost all clubs, does a season or two really matter in the big scheme of things.  More importantly we need to secure the income to then secure the Attansio investment.  There will be a lot of pressure if we do not get promoted.

Edited by Newtopia

At this point, I largely stop watching in the prem. It's a waste of time. Who knows it could change in the future, but I genuinely look forward to going back down and playing in the champs. The prem is such a dull, stale league, I find it really hard to muster much interest.

• Like 1

You need an absolutely huge slice of luck to stay up in the prem and you'd like to think we might finally get some should we be promoted again.

• Haha 1

So how many people would be happy to see us make the play off's every year with fun-to-watch football to lose at Wembley every year? Personally, I think that would be horrific.

I' d rather watch us be mangled in the Premier League every other year for the chance of one of those times being the time we catch a break and can kick on without blaming anyone for the fact that our limits mean we will be mangled in the Premier League more often than not.

Like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it. And the odd win against the likes of Man City is worth more than a season of wins in the Championship.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

It's the same reason to do anything: for the experience. Remember that feeling when the ball ricocheted in against Derby, or winning at Wembley, demolishing Huddersfield 7-0, beating Man City etc.?

You can't enjoy the highs without the lows. Honestly we've had so much more fun since our relegation to League One. 15 years with only a handful of times where we've played in the same division twice in a row.

It's fun because it's difficult. The odds are stacked against us. We're on a low ebb right now. Maybe that will go on for a longer period than we're used to. But stagnating in the Championship is way worse than relegation. If you think yo-yoing is boring then you've obviously forgotten the 15 years before Lambert. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's the same reason to do anything: for the experience. Remember that feeling when the ball ricocheted in against Derby, or winning at Wembley, demolishing Huddersfield 7-0, beating Man City etc.?

You can't enjoy the highs without the lows. Honestly we've had so much more fun since our relegation to League One. 15 years with only a handful of times where we've played in the same division twice in a row.

It's fun because it's difficult. The odds are stacked against us. We're on a low ebb right now. Maybe that will go on for a longer period than we're used to. But stagnating in the Championship is way worse than relegation. If you think yo-yoing is boring then you've obviously forgotten the 15 years before Lambert. 

Top post!

• Thanks 1

Even we have shown that it is possible for an unfashionable club to come up, do well and stay up.

Michael Bailey's article on last season's transfer dealings suggests that we couldn't quite push the boat out far enough to land our priority signings (not for the first time) and perhaps now, with some American aid we have a better chance of snaring that calibre of player in the future.

We shouldn't allow the last two Premier League campaigns to mislead us ... we haven't met our ceiling yet and have every chance to if we keep plugging away and get a little luck.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

i think the summer we sold Emi was the best chance of staying up 

it is all ifs ,but's and maybe's and hindsight 

with the money we spent and Webber's record in the transfer window up until then i was hopeful  bit of luck and  we could have stayed up

then that is where you become stable and also made a lot of money selling players as they had a couple of seasons as PL players 

its down to  Recruitment to replace the big money sales and a good manager to get the best out of them 

instead it went wrong all the signings were terrible and worth less than we paid 

New year - old misery 

We had all this in the summer. There was a poll. Loads didn't want us to be promoted. We currently sit seventh. Those people should be ecstatic. It's their dream ticket being the highest we can finish and definitely not be promoted.

We can still finish top six, we can still win the play offs and be promoted. What we can't do is 'fluke it'. I think our regular promotions have blinded some to how difficult this league is.

2 hours ago, Harry53 said:

What's The Point of Getting Promoted ?

We want this...

Free-money GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

...but end up doing this:

Oliver Twist GIF - Oliver Twist GIFs

"It's not the destination, it's the journey," someone once said. Then again, they were going for a wet weekend in Skegness.

OTBC