Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

If we lose today do you think Smith will get sacked?

If we lose will Smith get the boot?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. If we lose will Smith get sacked?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dunno lol

And by this I dont mean do you think he should be I mean if we are to lose do you honestly feel that he will be sacked? Do you think the board and high ups will want him gone if we lose today?

The only real news thats been in the local media recently and today is that it seems Smith is currently being 'fully backed and supported' by the players and that those who are in charge of keeping him employed like him and want him in charge for the season regardless of what happens.

Now either that's true or its the classic 'we fully support you' style kiss of death before a sacking, but I guess you can take it as you will.

But what do you think? And once again I dont meant your opinion to his employment I meant your honest thoughts as to if a loss today will get those behind the scenes to smell the coffee and kick him out.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think they might decide he is going after today, but they won't sack him until after the Watford game. Two week gap between league matches.

He won't be sacked while we're in the top 6. Probably not unless we lose the next 3. I guess a lot depends on the fans at the Reading game. If things really turn he could go then.

Ultimately 3 wins out of 12 isn't good enough so it's baffling that he's still in the job. 

Edited by Petriix

10 minutes ago, Petriix said:

He won't be sacked while we're in the top 6. Probably not unless we lose the next 3. I guess a lot depends on the fans at the Reading game. If things really turn he could go then.

Ultimately 3 wins out of 12 isn't good enough so it's baffling that he's still in the job. 

If we lose today I wouldnt have thought we'd be in the top 6 tonight?

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If we lose today I wouldnt have thought we'd be in the top 6 tonight?

Yeah, we will probably start tonight's game outside the top 6.

No point keeping him in if we lose, might as well kick him to touch and get a caretaker in for Reading and Watford, otherwise he'll be put up in front of Carrow Road to be abused and that's pointless and unfair. Lose tonight and he has to go.

• Like 1

Going by how Webber dispatched Farke, if Smith goes today then it's already decided, win, lose or draw. I guess then he'll have no succession plan and will hire whoever else gets sacked this week to replace him.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I do wonder if coaches are told "If you lose today, you will be sacked"?

In retrospect , I think Webber pretty much telegraphed that message to Farke after the 7-0 defeat to Chelsea in the week leading up the the Leeds home game....which he lost...

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And by this I dont mean do you think he should be I mean if we are to lose do you honestly feel that he will be sacked? Do you think the board and high ups will want him gone if we lose today?

The only real news thats been in the local media recently and today is that it seems Smith is currently being 'fully backed and supported' by the players and that those who are in charge of keeping him employed like him and want him in charge for the season regardless of what happens.

Now either that's true or its the classic 'we fully support you' style kiss of death before a sacking, but I guess you can take it as you will.

But what do you think? And once again I dont meant your opinion to his employment I meant your honest thoughts as to if a loss today will get those behind the scenes to smell the coffee and kick him out.

Should he be sacked? Absolutely, should of gone before the World Cup

will he be sacked? I highly highly doubt it. Given the stubbornness of the club right now. 

3 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I think they might decide he is going after today, but they won't sack him until after the Watford game. Two week gap between league matches.

Yup, my thinking exactly.  Two or three wins and he’s safe, two or three defeats and he’s most likely gone.  The problem lies with what happens if it’s inbetween. 

Cant see it, think he is safe for the season...having said that if we get at most 3 wins in our next 12 games we will be likely lower mid table...10th to 14th  maybe and from there on in its bottom 6  not top 6 we will be looking at. Maybe by then the alarm bells will finally be ringing in SW's head....

Goodness forbid this carries on into next season and some club south of us bonk us 3-0 in an early season home game with us playing as if we  deserve L1 status.

46 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Won't be sacked because we can't afford to sack him. Simple.

Football clubs always find the finance to sack a manager if the results are bad enough for long enough. There comes a point where a position us just unteneble

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Yeah, we will probably start tonight's game outside the top 6.

No point keeping him in if we lose, might as well kick him to touch and get a caretaker in for Reading and Watford, otherwise he'll be put up in front of Carrow Road to be abused and that's pointless and unfair. Lose tonight and he has to go.

Oh wow, we actually agree on something Dean Smith related.

Unless it's an exceptional performance where we should have scored 6 but missed a host of one-on-ones, then yes a loss should really be the time to say farewell to Smith. There's no chance of us beating Reading if the crowd are in Blackburn mode from the off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnDaBall said:

Going by how Webber dispatched Farke, if Smith goes today then it's already decided, win, lose or draw. I guess then he'll have no succession plan and will hire whoever else gets sacked this week to replace him.

So you're saying we just need to hope that a Champions League manager like Conte gets the sack this week and we're onto a winner? 🤓

The way the Sheffield game is going at the moment, if we lose tonight I think even the powers that be at Carrow Road will have to admit that the automatics have gone and the best we can hope for is to squeak into the play-offs. Considering our squad of players, any half-decent manager should be able to get us into that top six and then there's everything to play for, so why not roll the dice?

Just to be clear, I do not consider Dean Smith to be a half-decent manager.

9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

The way the Sheffield game is going at the moment, if we lose tonight I think even the powers that be at Carrow Road will have to admit that the automatics have gone and the best we can hope for is to squeak into the play-offs. Considering our squad of players, any half-decent manager should be able to get us into that top six and then there's everything to play for, so why not roll the dice?

Just to be clear, I do not consider Dean Smith to be a half-decent manager.

Coventry missing their pen straight after half time has probably won it for Sheff Utd! Small margins, as a Dean Smith said earlier in the week. 🤓

I can’t see him being in charge come Preston (A). I must admit I have no faith in Smith getting the positive results that he now, desperately needs. 

Smith may well have be dogged and dogmatic in his stance, yet if we lose tonight it’s going to be carnage at Carrow Road even before kick off against Reading. 

2-3 losses in a row, depending on the manner and context, for example if we lose 2 and don’t perform, come that 3rd game the anger will have piqued. The atmosphere will be undeniable and Smith’s tenure irreconcilable. No room for excuses, and the clubs hand will be forced, at the expense of mid to long-term plans. 

It’s all on Smith and the players now. Could be a notorious week in NCFC history, one that’s symbolically used in reference for all  future dark times alongside Worthy and Roeder. 

45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So you're saying we just need to hope that a Champions League manager like Conte gets the sack this week and we're onto a winner? 🤓

Let's be honest, Wolves are going to get a late winner in the next 20 minutes and we'll be welcoming Lampard before the New Year.

46 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Let's be honest, Wolves are going to get a late winner in the next 20 minutes and we'll be welcoming Lampard before the New Year.

Uh oh..

Think it will take an embarrassment for him to be sacked. 

As mentioned we are top 6 and also it's the festive period.

Should he be sacked?

Absolutely, he should have been fired as soon as we were mathematically down. His tenure will and has been just us treading water and many of us just can't get behind him.