8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They'll all get booked for taking the knee too, so Kane will have 2 yellows before the game starts 

Do it twice and all get sent off, that’ll sort it

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They'll all get booked for taking the knee too, so Kane will have 2 yellows before the game starts 

You know much as I want us/England to do well given that this world cup is a farce and we are never going to win it anyways I would rather like to see this happen for the hilarity

• Like 1

Yep, I'm not swallowing the stupid "their turf, their rules" crap simply as some of their rules are spectacularly moronic. Highlight them, ridicule them, keep them under pressure.

We invoke the "they should follow our rules" line for egregious infringements of law that most countries would accept are wrong, such as theft, assault etc. Those would get you in trouble anywhere. Not for a perfectly natural sexual orientation.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, I'm not swallowing the stupid "their turf, their rules" crap simply as some of their rules are spectacularly moronic. Highlight them, ridicule them, keep them under pressure.

We invoke the "they should follow our rules" line for egregious infringements of law that most countries would accept are wrong, such as theft, assault etc. Those would get you in trouble anywhere. Not for a perfectly natural sexual orientation.

Lord help us if fifa had to say play a match in Taliban ran Afghanistan. "WHAT? Yes, they're cutting off peoples hands and stoning people to death but that's like their rules and cultue how dare you criticize them show some respect you bigot"🙃

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lord help us if fifa had to say play a match in Taliban ran Afghanistan. "WHAT? Yes, they're cutting off peoples hands and stoning people to death but that's like their rules and cultue how dare you criticize them show some respect you bigot"🙃

Moronic rules/laws don't deserve respect.

Meh, if as a nation you're willing to play in the competition over there then I don't think these small gestures are really relevant or needed.

There's a slightly unfair, biased argument but holds a little water in that we've been preaching about being more understanding and accepting of different religions and their beliefs for many years now. But we only want to accept the bits we're happy with that fits in with our own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Are FIFA bothered about corruption? I don’t think so. 
If England really want to make a point they could have boycotted this pantomime

• Like 2

If they haven't already done so FIFA should have sent captain's armbands to all the teams. If England, Wales (yes it's them as well) and any other country chose not to wear them then they will have to accept the punishment.

I am interested to see if Bale wears his if Harry gets booked. 

10 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The cynic in me would say this is virtue signaling at its worst (or best).

We've had 12 years to consider our position on this.

Of course it's virtue signaling but so is wearing a poppy, and at the end of the day at least in the case it's something that will be seen by millions around the world so I can forgive it. Plus I respect the team if they go through with it knowing they will still get punished, more so if they walk off. Which probably won't happen, but hey if you're willing to stand up for what you bealive in in such a way I can respect it

• Like 4

All European teams that were wearing it have now issued a statement to say they won’t wear it.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but my opinion is they should have gone back to FIFA and raised them by saying you stop us we are going home, but then I suppose our preparation would have been in tatters, concentrating on this and not the football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477

• Like 1

The best way to show FIFA that its corruption stinks is to disrupt the tournament. Get the whole squad to wear the armbands, get them all booked twice and Iran can win the game 120-0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Of course it's virtue signaling but so is wearing a poppy, and at the end of the day at least in the case it's something that will be seen by millions around the world so I can forgive it. Plus I respect the team if they go through with it knowing they will still get punished, more so if they walk off. Which probably won't happen, but hey if you're willing to stand up for what you bealive in in such a way I can respect it

Exactly. "Virtue signalling" (or it's idiot brother "keep pulitix aht tar futt boll") is merely a phrase used by those who don't have a decent argument. They're merely saying "I don't like that case".

Wearing a poppy is the ultimate case of it if we're applying the exact same standards, yet very few complain about it.

• Like 2

Qatar showing daily why it is stupid to think you can influence these types of nations.

Almost every concession FIFA got out of them is being walked back and FIFA have no power to stop them. Just an absolute joke.

Pathetic how we have just backed down and agreed not to wear it. 

I appreciate it wont 'change' anything and may be just 'virtual signaling' but at least that is better than doing absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

The best way to show FIFA that its corruption stinks is to disrupt the tournament. Get the whole squad to wear the armbands, get them all booked twice and Iran can win the game 120-0.

And also bend the knee, with the rest of the team getting a booking. Better still, Kane wears the armband, FA ask players to leave the pitch and get the next flight home, along with as many Corporate Sponsors as they can round up. Then set up a new world football organisation. **** FIFA!

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. "Virtue signalling" (or it's idiot brother "keep pulitix aht tar futt boll") is merely a phrase used by those who don't have a decent argument. They're merely saying "I don't like that case".

Wearing a poppy is the ultimate case of it if we're applying the exact same standards, yet very few complain about it.

Not a massive fan of his generally, but I did like Danny Finkelstein's response to accusations of virtue-signalling:

"What would you rather I signalled?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not a massive fan of his generally, but I did like Danny Finkelstein's response to accusations of virtue-signalling:

"What would you rather I signalled?"

Reminds me of this gem I found somewhere or other.

Definition of woke.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Pathetic how we have just backed down and agreed not to wear it. 

I appreciate it wont 'change' anything and may be just 'virtual signaling' but at least that is better than doing absolutely nothing.

Bunch of cowards. All it took was a 'unprecedented threat' of a yellow card for them to change their minds. Pathetic. Goes to show that yes, Southgate and the England players are indeed virtue signaling and dont really care about the issue at all.

If they did care they would grow some balls, back what they planned to do and accept the cards. But nope, they've shown off how little of a spine they have and hope they get mocked and called out for it.

Football really is a pathetic sport at professional level. Full of greed, corruption and backstabbing. I wish I didn't love NCFC so much. It would make any decision to turn my back on football so much easier. I would rather watch my local team who actually pay to play.

• Like 4