Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Right formation...not the right players to play it....yet

Only silver lining is that we've found a diamond formation which will bring out the best in both Pukki and Sargent.

Downside is that there were parts behind not quite functioning to play it.

Hope we stick with it as Its our best way forward and will improve once players return to make it work.

Sadly Gibbs was weĺl out of his depth to play that anchor role, too weak and slow, Hayden needed asap.

This formation requires the full back to get forward with crosses, again Giannoulis should thrive.

Now we're playing with a no.10 , Cantwell should surely be effective in this system

Hope we stick with it and dont abandon it

If we can get this team on the pitch we'll be ok

Krul

Aarons  Hanley Omobom Giann'lis

Hayden

Nunez        Sara (or McLean)

Cantwell

Sargent       Pukki

“Hayden needed asap” is the line trotted out most of this season so far. What a fkng punt that was. Only at Norwich. He’ll turn up though, late. But we could have saved anguish getting a DM in that could actually field from day one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Hope we stick with it and dont abandon it

Really?

That was dire, and we don't want no dire 'ere

Edited by First Wazzock

Agree with this, but I think you're writing Gibbs off unnecessarily. First game for him with this formation & he wasn't bad. Give the lad a chance.

And I'm beginning to wonder if Kenny isn't our best left back!

• Like 1

It's not the players or the formation. With the superiority we have in personnel, it shouldn't matter what formation we play. We just don't have the right man in charge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think our ideal diamond would be Hayden holding with Sara and Gibbs in the middle and Nunez playing furthest forward.

I think our ideal diamond would be one that has been picked by a manager that isn't Dean Smith.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I think our ideal diamond would be one that has been picked by a manager that isn't Dean Smith.

Also true.

Saw the strengths and weaknesses of the diamond today. Good to get two up front, and it got a lot more of the XI who started against Reading into more natural positions. But it meant we let PNE have a lot of space wide to cross, hence their first goal.

Harsh on Gibbs, I thought: he was decent today.

When we have players back I would quite like to see us try three at the back so Aarons and Giannoulis can offer us width. 

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You seem to have your needle stuck.  Maybe go out and have a walk?

• Like 2

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

You seem to have your needle stuck.  Maybe go out and have a walk?

I've just had one, back from the ground.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Agree with this, but I think you're writing Gibbs off unnecessarily. First game for him with this formation & he wasn't bad. Give the lad a chance.

And I'm beginning to wonder if Kenny isn't our best left back!

Not quite seeing it with Gibbs...didnt quite see the clamour to rush him back

This formation relies on a strong holding mid and he isnt it.

I dont blame him but we shouldnt be relying on such a young player to perform such s pivotal role. As we saw today , if that position isnt right , the whole thing falls down

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Really...you'd rather we shoved Sargent out wide again?

It's not just about Sargent is it?

That whole performance was dreadful

41 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's not the players or the formation. With the superiority we have in personnel, it shouldn't matter what formation we play. We just don't have the right man in charge.

So what is Smith doing, asking Pukki to miss several guilt edge chances to make the league more of a challenge? Krul to pass the ball straight to them?

The problems today weren't tactical - we didn't concede via an overload or poor tactical discipline. The manager did his job today. The only bit I'd argue is the subs weakened us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So what is Smith doing, asking Pukki to miss several guilt edge chances to make the league more of a challenge? Krul to pass the ball straight to them?

The problems today weren't tactical - we didn't concede via an overload or poor tactical discipline. The manager did his job today. The only bit I'd argue is the subs weakened us.

His job was to put out a team capable of, and sufficiently motivated to, beat Preston. 

The buck ultimately stops with him. Most teams who played Preston this season didn't concede, none conceded two. We shipped three.

And today isn't the reason people doubt his ability either, it's an inevitable outcome in the frailties Smith's Norwich has shown even whilst scraping wins or getting draws.

Par for this squad is comfortably top two. Arguably champions. The bookmakers and pundits were almost universally in agreement on that before the season, even Ipswich-supporting commentators.

We're three points off 7th. And in a league I think we can all agree is much worse in terms of quality than we expected it would be in July.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I basically agree. I blame Smith for a lot but I think he made the right decision to try the diamond today and most of the players let him down.

I hope he sticks with the formation but using Sara instead of Ramsey. I felt both Ramsey and Gibbs (in the second half) looked like what they are today - very young.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

His job was to put out a team capable of, and sufficiently motivated to, beat Preston. 

The buck ultimately stops with him. Most teams who played Preston this season didn't concede, none conceded two. We shipped three.

And today isn't the reason people doubt his ability either, it's an inevitable outcome in the frailties Smith's Norwich has shown even whilst scraping wins or getting draws.

Par for this squad is comfortably top two. Arguably champions. The bookmakers and pundits were almost universally in agreement on that before the season, even Ipswich-supporting commentators.

We're three points off 7th. And in a league I think we can all agree is much worse in terms of quality than we expected it would be in July.

When you say 3 points off 7th. You actually mean we are in 2nd, don't you?

If Smith is as bad as you say it should play out as such over the next 10 fixtures. If we're still in top 2 mix after that...

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I basically agree. I blame Smith for a lot but I think he made the right decision to try the diamond today and most of the players let him down.

I hope he sticks with the formation but using Sara instead of Ramsey. I felt both Ramsey and Gibbs (in the second half) looked like what they are today - very young.

Gibbs looked knackered to me and my only real criticism of Smith today is his use of subs.

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Surely the problem today was Pukki fluffing his chances. Take the first of those and we'd of rolled out 4 or 5 nil.

But then we’d be saying that if it wasn’t for Pukki we’d have been rubbish

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When you say 3 points off 7th. You actually mean we are in 2nd, don't you?

If Smith is as bad as you say it should play out as such over the next 10 fixtures. If we're still in top 2 mix after that...

I mean we're 3 points of 7th. Hence why I said we're 3 points of 7th. Does it cease to be true if we're in 2nd or something? Is there some obscure rule that means we're not 3 points of 7th? Should we ignore the evidence of our eyes (a common appeal for the keep calm and carry on with Smith brigade)?

If we're still in the top 2 after the next 10 games and pulling away from 3rd, Dean Smith will be doing exactly what any half decent coach should be doing with the resources at his disposal. And I'll be delighted.

But that won't happen unless there is a marked improvement in performances based on the last few games.

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

“Hayden needed asap” is the line trotted out most of this season so far. What a fkng punt that was. Only at Norwich. He’ll turn up though, late. But we could have saved anguish getting a DM in that could actually field from day one. 

100% this. Still can't believe we 'solved' the midfield anchor problem with a player who still hasn't featured courtesy of an injury we knew about when we signed him. Unbelievable!

A diamond is OK if you have the right man at the tip of it. I cannot think who we have who is suited. People have gone overboard about Nunez but I don't see any magic from him yet.

50 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

It's not just about Sargent is it?

That whole performance was dreadful

When discussing the change of formation then a big part of it very much is...and the fact it allows us to play two up front

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I mean we're 3 points of 7th. Hence why I said we're 3 points of 7th. Does it cease to be true if we're in 2nd or something? Is there some obscure rule that means we're not 3 points of 7th? Should we ignore the evidence of our eyes (a common appeal for the keep calm and carry on with Smith brigade)?

If we're still in the top 2 after the next 10 games and pulling away from 3rd, Dean Smith will be doing exactly what any half decent coach should be doing with the resources at his disposal. And I'll be delighted.

But that won't happen unless there is a marked improvement in performances based on the last few games.

And if we'd only had the decency to lose more games we'd be in the relegation zone.

Christ on a bike.

22 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

And if we'd only had the decency to lose more games we'd be in the relegation zone.

Christ on a bike.

Erm, OK?

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Very weird, but I'll leave you to it