KiwiScot

****Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Celtic v Norwich****

Welcome to Glasgow Norwich fans. Glasgow is a historic industrial and ship buliding city now known for it's friendly(of sorts)people,vibrant culture with lots of music,arts,bars and parks to relax in. Looks a little rough round the edges, but has lots of character. Lot of pubs , good transport. For something funny and scottish try googling Only An Excuse. A scottish football related comedy that used to be on once every year. It's at worst ok.

Today we've got what is hopefully both teams setting teams close to what they are looking at for the start of the season what with it being Celtics last pre-season game which as I understand is close to sold out if not. We've also as pointed in the forum got something unusual going on in the city today. Both Rangers and Celtic playing at home at 3pm. This is normally avoided + we have tottenham fans. I know it will be fine, but hey ho who knows. Stay safe oot there.

The game is on the box on Premier Sports 1 and available online at https://www.canaries.co.uk/canaries-tv/packages

Of note PLM has officially left and there has been a change to some of our squad numbers as of now Andrew Omobamidele(4), Ben Gibson(6), Adam Idah(11), Sam McCallum(15).

Dean Smith on the final two games - https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-dean-smith-scotland-pre-season-preview-9162744 And https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/match-preview-norwich-city-v-celtic

Our hosts Celtic are of late Scottish footballs tour de force winning treble trebles, being invincible and because you can't win them all only recently winning 9 league titles in a row with 10  being what was needed to beat the record and therefore laud it over Rangers who have also done 9 in a row. The clubs greatest acheivement is in 1967 when Celtic became the first British club to win the prestigious European Cup (now the Champions League) with the infamous Lisbon Lions team. Now although Rangers have been through a tough time of it recently Celtic remember only to well when in the ninties Rangers were dominant and things looked bad financially for Celtic. Cue Fergus McCann a canny businessman who with profit in mind took over Celtic, rebulit the stadium and transformed the club on the pitch and off it.Legend managers like the late Tommy Burns and Martin O'Neil and the swedish striker Henrik Larrson wowed the crowds. For any celtic fan the cliche is Paradise(cute since Glasgow means Green Glen)

After a very short lull they are a team reborn under Ange Postecoglou who has been given plently of new players since his arrival using his previous J-League knowledge to bring in a trio of Japanese players who have had a huge impact amongst many others. Certaintly a team that if you let them will badly turn you over. You will see Aaron Mooy who signed for them not us and also remember David Turnbull, u-turned on Norfolk for the Bhoys.

Celtic also see the return of this legend(for us anyway). Teemu Pukki!

image.jpeg.08ae01f32a1811410270e9e96e20ac25.jpeg

Inside THE STADIUM IS CASHLESS and you will be also be able to check out their safe standing section to see what all the fuss is about.

Getting to the stadium is a walkable but longer distance than you'd like from the city centre, but takes you through a few interesting areas that you otherwise might usually want to avoid. You'd want to allow some time if you choose to go that way. Otherwise take the train or a number of buses.

Here's a link to the celtic forums match thread

https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/celtic-v-norwich-saturday-july-23rd-kick-off-3pm.154702/

Now for something more serious than football. The 3rd of August will see the weekly Pups/Rays Fund thread start which raises money for charity for kids and wot not. We always need more posters so please consider taking part in any week you can manage the time. It's costs nothing and gives a lot.

image.jpeg.571bb7ac7a3623f3e74e91e8fb44e5eb.jpeg

You basically pick a team to win and a hotseat poster decides which matches to combine in an accumulator and the winnings will help.

Otherwise Enjoy the Game!

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I noticed that Rangers were at home too, but presumably they aren’t expecting large crowds or aggro for preseason friendlies - after all, these people do put up with each other the rest of the week/year!  

Speaking of other club's pre-season results, I see Middlesbrough beat Marseille 2-0 last night.

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Speaking of other club's pre-season results, I see Middlesbrough beat Marseille 2-0 last night.

Considering that Jordan Hugill was born in Middlesborough, Marseille must be absolutely pig-sick of the north-east of England right now.

• Haha 1

Not really related to the thread but a fun little game to pass the time ahead of the match 

https://www.starting11.co.uk/2022-07-23

How fast can you name the starting XI v Bournemouth in 2015? It took me 3m13s and I 'got' all except the right winger. I say it that way because I absolute was getting it, but the game was telling me I was wrong- fuming when I pressed reveal 😡

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Not really related to the thread but a fun little game to pass the time ahead of the match 

https://www.starting11.co.uk/2022-07-23

How fast can you name the starting XI v Bournemouth in 2015? It took me 3m13s and I 'got' all except the right winger. I say it that way because I absolute was getting it, but the game was telling me I was wrong- fuming when I pressed reveal 😡

I couldn't for the life of me get RB 

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Welcome to Glasgow Norwich fans.

Today we've got what is hopefully both teams setting teams close to what they are looking at for the start of the season what with it being Celtics last pre-season game which as I understand is close to sold out if not. We've also as pointed in the forum got something unusual going on in the city today. Both Rangers and Celtic playing at home at 3pm. This is normally avoided + we have tottenham fans. I know it will be fine, but hey ho who knows. Stay safe oot there.

The game is on the box on Premier Sports 1 and available online at https://www.canaries.co.uk/canaries-tv/packages

Of note PLM has officially left and there has been a change to some of our squad numbers as of now Andrew Omobamidele(4), Ben Gibson(6), Adam Idah(11), Sam McCallum(15).

Dean Smiths on final games - https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-dean-smith-scotland-pre-season-preview-9162744 And https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/match-preview-norwich-city-v-celtic

Celtic are of late Of late Scottish footballs tour de force winning treble trebles, being invincible and because you can't win them all only recently winning 9 league titles in a row with 10 being the record they wanted to beat to laud it over Rangers who have also done 9 in a row. The clubs greatest acheivement is in 1967 when Celtic became the first British club to win the prestigious European Cup (now the Champions League) with the infamous Lisbon Lions team. Now although Rangers have been through a tough time of it recently Celtic remember only to well when in the ninties Rangers were dominant and things looked bad financially for Celtic. Cue Fergus McCann a canny businessman who with Profit in mind took over Celtic, rebulit the stadium and transformed the club on the pitch and off it.Legend managers like the late Tommy Burns and Martin O'Neil and the swedish striker Henrik Larrson. For any celtic fan the cliche is Paradise(cute since Glasgow means Green Glen)

After a very short lull they are a team reborn under Ange Postecoglou who has been given plently of new players since his arrival using his previous J-League knowledge to bring in a trio of Japanese players who have had a huge impact amongst many others. Certaintly a team that if you let them will badly turn you over. You will see Aaron Mooy who signed for them not us and also remember David Turnbull, u-turned on Norfolk for the Bhoys.

Inside you will be able to check out their safe standing section to see what all the fuss is about.

The stadium is a walkable but longer distance than you'd like from centre, but takes you through a few interesting areas that you otherwise might usually want to avoid. You'd want to allow some time if you choose to go that way. Otherwise take the train or a number of buses that will pass that way.

Here's a link to the celtic forums match thread

https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/celtic-v-norwich-saturday-july-23rd-kick-off-3pm.154702/

Now for something more serious than football. The 3rd of August will see the weekly Pups/Rays Fund thread start which raises money for charity. We always need more posters so please consider taking part in any week you can manage the time. It's costs nothing and gives a lot. You basically pick a team to win and a hotseat poster decides which matches to combine in an accumulator.

Will edit as the day goes on.

Saw that there had been a number reshuffle and noticed no.16 is vacant. Have we retired that no. in tribute to Mark Fotheringham??? 😆

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Saw that there had been a number reshuffle and noticed no.16 is vacant. Have we retired that no. in tribute to Mark Fotheringham??? 😆

Mathias Normann wore the no. 16 shirt last season!! 

As ever, it’s a preseason game so doesn’t matter a whole lot, but with the season proper being so close you’d hope we will look decent in defence and cohesive all round.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And people say I was making match threads early! 😉Anyways, seems Celtic fans are rather confident of a high scoring win for them..

look at me, it’s all about me…..

• Like 1

That is one seriously attacking midfield. Is Cantwell getting readied to be a deep-lying playmaker?

Like buses, you wait for one to turn up then three come at once 😛

Odd line up though, 4-2-3-1 with Cantwell as an 8 and Sargent as a 10?

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That is one seriously attacking midfield. Is Cantwell getting readied to be a deep-lying playmaker?

Possibly for today, but I'd be shocked if that happens permanently. I guess it's because McLean and Sorensen are the only fit senior central midfielders, unless you count Gibbs, so one will play today and the other plays tomorrow.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be shocked if that happens. I guess it's because McLean and Sorensen are the only fit senior central midfielders, unless you count Gibbs, so one will play today and the other plays tomorrow.

A very fair point. And yet, just writing the notion of Cantwell as a deep-lying playmaker makes me wonder if, with a good ball winner alongside him, if that could actually stick.

Aarons   Omo   Hanley   McCallum

McLean

Sargent    Cantwell     Sinani    Rashica

Pukki

This is how I read that team sheet. 

• Like 1

Not sure who is going to be winning the ball back in midfield today.

But as others have mentioned, Sørensen will probably start against Hibs tomorrow.

McLean's going to have to sit a lot. His propensity to go on a solitary press (can't fault his engine, but can occasionally fault the deployment) will have to be kept in check.