Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Heatwave..

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

Why are people out jogging?? Loons!!

Joggers versus Loons!

(Have to admit here I bought a pair of black loons in about 1976 (time of the hot summer). Loved them. Even though they had no pockets. But for a couple of quid... brilliant). Anyone else care to admit they had some?

IMG_20220718_134822.jpg

IMG_20220718_134805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh for a lock-up full of that Adidas clobber. We'll be millionaires. (Well a bit better off anyway.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

Why are people out jogging?? Loons!!

Half the crackheads in my area walking around with nothing but shorts or underwear on burnt as red as a lobster while downing can after can. It's quite a sight 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Half the crackheads in my area walking around with nothing but shorts or underwear on burnt as red as a lobster while downing can after can. It's quite a sight 

Crackheads?! I thought you were all posh in Cambridgeshire.😉

• Haha 1

*one unhappy TGS thinks "I shouldda stayed on Svalbard, the Faroes, or the Aland Islands a bit longer...*

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Maybe they have a very valid point and should have been listened to a long time ago. 

Anyway, to the catastrophists. Yes, we know it's dangerously hot and how to behave in such weather. 

To the kippers. No, we're not a nation of snowflakes. It is ****ing dangerously hot. 

Well done, Herman, this wasn't copied and pasted from Twitter so I suppose it must almost be an original thought.

I cannot believe how pathetic this country and media have become. 

1 minute ago, Erraticus said:

Well done, Herman, this wasn't copied and pasted from Twitter so I suppose it must almost be an original thought.

I cannot believe how pathetic this country and media have become. 

Who the **** are you??

Rum old world when Norwich is 20 deg F hotter than Southern California. Maybe time to move back? 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Who the **** are you??

Sorry, Herman. In answer to your enquiry, which I must say was very succint* and reasonably posited (I think that's the word to use these days), I am someone who browses the PinkUn message boards from time to time but rarely bothers posting a comment or an opinion. Over the months and years spanning my infrequent visits to the Non-Football message board, I have to say that, of the small brotherhood of good ole boys on there, you seem to be the one that relies quite heavily on a quick copy from Twitter and paste onto the message board. 

I have reflected and I really don't know what got into me posting that comment. It clearly angered you and I apologise if I you have taken offence. I can only claim the mitigating circumstance of the heat and I assume that I must have suffered a brief dose of heat stroke or, more simply perhaps, I am a little bored and thought it might be fun to poke you with a stick (metaphorically of course) and see what response that might eventuate. It was very random and it seems to have worked but I realise now that I was being quite immature. 

* unlike my response !

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

The body beautiful on wide display up here in Glasgow.

The good old tradition of taps aff. 😂

Apples

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's very British to comment on the weather all of the time, but staging major demonstrations about the weather takes it to the next level!

I avoid that British stereotype and simply don’t comment on the weather, let alone start on someone for jumping a line as we are supposed to be the “inventors” of queuing. The idea comes from standing in a line after finishing a days work getting a clock card punched apparently.

As for the demonstrations, that’s just really pathetic. I’m surprised no one has said “We should have listened to Greta Thurnberg”.

22 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How are you staying cool as the country gets ready to melt in 40+?

Not seen anywhere record quite as high as that yet...Kew Gardens  has the highest so far at 37.5 along with Cavendish, so touch and go if Cambridge record of 38.7 will be beaten today. Norwich highest of 35.6 (96.1) back in 1932 must be in danger of being broken i imagine.

But, wherever you live...It Aint Half Hot Mum.

Yes, I am very hot and irascible @Erraticus.Also it is how I post. Sorry you don't like my way of doing things but that is life.

Read about a tip today I had not seen before. If you have a hatch that goes into a loft space and you leave it open, the hot air rises up from any build up in the house and  goes into the roof space - the article suggested it lowers the temperature in the rest of the house by a good couple of degrees. Which might make a difference later at night. It makes sense but I've not tried it.

I guess it's the same if you have an attic with windows you can open too.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tips from Texas where it gets 40C hot frequently. Assuming your house has no A/C, just fill your bathtub with cold water, wet a towel and place it over your shoulder and spend a while in the bathroom as needed - the cold water will keep that room cooler than others. And tape aluminum baking foil on south / west facing widows if they are exposed to direct sunlight. 

Edited by Surfer

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Luckily Cornish granite houses are cool and I can pop out into the garden and pop back every now and then. Having lunch now. Cream Crackers as I can't bear the thought of anything heavier.

Bathing in Radon 😉

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

Read about a tip today I had not seen before. If you have a hatch that goes into a loft space and you leave it open, the hot air rises up from any build up in the house and  goes into the roof space - the article suggested it lowers the temperature in the rest of the house by a good couple of degrees. Which might make a difference later at night. It makes sense but I've not tried it.

I'll experiment with this later on. Upstairs is pretty much unlivable at the moment so every little tip will help.

The way the BBC News Live update on their website keeps going on about this is really getting on my t*ts.

It’s like a website for a kids program, not the news. “A woman from Germany took an umbrella because she thought it was going to rain”, followed by a picture of her holding the umbrella above her head.

Not newsworthy at all, that’s me done with the Tory BBC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

Makes perfect sense. I live in an apartment in a converted mill and we have an atrium in the middle where the floors were basically cut out and much of the roof is now glass. Apart from smoke vents, none of the panes open.

The bottom floor is always at a good temperature regardless of how hot it is outside. The top floor, when the windows are closed, is oppressive and the lift often malfunctions due to such heat being amplified. Technically we're not allowed to open the smoke vents, but when I pointed out we'll probably save a lot of money on lift maintenance call-outs if we cool the atrium down, the management company acquiesced and let us do so.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2