Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Sam McCallum, how has he looked out on loan?

I've started thinking about next season now (sorry optimists, but that's next season in the second tier).

Specifically about what players we might be able to make use of, but looks like a lot of our loanees have spent long periods on the bench or out of the first team picture.

Surprised that Sam McCallum has played so little, didn't feature in the first team squad at all for 3.5 months and only 14 appearances all season. Is this all down to hamstring issues? Has he had good reviews when he has featured do we know?

I'd have had him down as a possible returnee, as we're going to be saying goodbye to Williams in the summer aren't we. More likely he'll have to go out on loan and try and get a full injury-free season somewhere?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I saw him recently at QPR's match v Sheff Utd and was sat behind the away dug out so very close to a lot of action.  He was on bench and did not come on until 70th minute.  What was noticeable though was the respect Warburton had for him.  When he came on he was the conduit for all Warburton's instructions.  He came on as a wing back, but because QPR were pushing for an equaliser, when they had corners and free kicks around the Blades area, he was the only defender back.  There was a lot of trust there.  I think he was still working his way back from injury at that match and Warburton may have been trying to avoid another injury.  What he did when he came on was very tidy.

In my view, although still a little on the skinny side, there is a very good footballer there and he will do well back at Norwich.  But I thought Kenton was a world beater, and believe Lungi is the new Bobby Moore, so what do I know?🤷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know a QPR season ticket holder and just WhatsApped him.

He said it's injury that's kept him out of the team and that he'd have been a regular if available. Before his injury he was apparently played in a more advanced role. He said he looked decent and praised his work-rate but his crossing was abysmal. He's started the last three games as a left-back in a flat back four. He said he was crap against Preston, a shout for man of the match versus Huddersfield but then ropey again against Derby.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

He said it's injury that's kept him out of the team and that he'd have been a regular if available. Before his injury he was apparently played in a more advanced role. He said he looked decent and praised his work-rate but his crossing was abysmal. He's started the last three games as a left-back in a flat back four. He said he was crap against Preston, a shout for man of the match versus Huddersfield but then ropey again against Derby.

So he's like the anti Quintilla?

14 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I never realise he was an amputee! 

50% less chance of handball.

• Haha 1

Lots of injuries but decent when fit apparently. He was also very good for Coventry last season too so I think its time we gave him a shot here. 

I think he's got a much better chance of being a Smith player than a Farke one to be honest.

If Giannoulis stays Sam will be brought back as cover I would imagine. Same with Mumba.

We'll probably be in the market for a right back if Max leaves.

Didn’t we buy him 3 seasons ago for £3million and have loaned him out for each season? 
Strikes me that he hasn’t developed as much as the club would like. 

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Giannoulis stays Sam will be brought back as cover I would imagine. Same with Mumba.

We'll probably be in the market for a right back if Max leaves.

Mumba has always looked a class above the rest when he's played for us and Byram is solid as ever. Dont think a rightback is a priority even if/when Aarons leaves

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mumba has always looked a class above the rest when he's played for us and Byram is solid as ever. Dont think a rightback is a priority even if/when Aarons leaves

So if Max leaves you think we'll go with Byram, Giannoulis, Mumba and McCallum?

Okay if we're planning mid-table mediocrity I guess.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm not sure how that is midtable mediocrity?

Is that four really much worse than Aarons, Mumba, Giannoulis and Quintilla?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure how that is midtable mediocrity?

Is that four really much worse than Aarons, Mumba, Giannoulis and Quintilla?

Depends if they have the total domination of the midfield (inc Skipp) and forward players in front of them like the players you mention did.

I would be very surprised if Max leaves Smith doesn't bring in RB cover/competition. 

18 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ok, I'll bite. Which team in the Championship has a better quartet of full-backs than that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Ok, I'll bite. Which team in the Championship has a better quartet of full-backs than that?

Lowe and Spence with Bong and Laryea as backup isn't too shoddy.

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lowe and Spence with Bong and Laryea as backup isn't too shoddy.

It's not, but I genuinely wouldn't swap. Lowe flopped at Sheff Utd and didn't perform as well as Dimi in the Prem. Spence has age on his side but I don't think he'd displace a fit Sam Byram. I don't know anything about Laryea but I'd have Bong as backup to Byram over Mumba.

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Depends if they have the total domination of the midfield (inc Skipp) and forward players in front of them like the players you mention did.

I would be very surprised if Max leaves Smith doesn't bring in RB cover/competition. 

I think it depends on a couple of things. 

1- how do we feel about Byram and his fitness levels? He's started the last 5 games in a row which is a positive but it is tough to be totally sold we can rely on him.

2- has Mumba kicked on? He's been stop start at Peterborough. 

I'm generally in agreement we should probably look for a new right back to replace Aarons if he leaves but I'm not sure it would be the end of the world if we didn't.  I don't see that fullback group as midtable mediocrity. 

McCallum is another sick note. We don't need another injury prone defender - we already have enough. Get rid.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't think those four full backs would represent that, more a promotion challenging squad.

However if somebody was brought in who was deemed to be better then great,  I just don't think it's a priority at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

McCallum is another sick note. We don't need another injury prone defender - we already have enough. Get rid.

I think it is more growing pains rather than a "sick note" player.  He's still young and having to get used to changes in training environment.  As others have said it was one injury, a hammie.

BTW, he also has those mini dreads in his hair now, looks less aggressive than in that picture at the top of the thread somehow as a result.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

So injury prone he played over 40 times last season.

Absolute horse ****.

Lots of people are saying that we'll be fine with Byram and Mumba as right backs next season, and in January I would've probably agreed, but Mumba has struggled for game time at Peterborough in a poor side, despite looking very promising when he has featured for us. Is there a reason why he has gone from being a regular starter in his first few games at Peterborough to suddenly being an unused sub most games?

Screenshot_20220422-111352.png

21 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Tore his hamsting to such an extent that he needed surgery.

Unless the club see him challenging Dimi for a starting place then he is likely to go out on loan again - or be sold.  If he isn't ready to play for us in the Champs in 2022/23 then he never will be.

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Lots of people are saying that we'll be fine with Byram and Mumba as right backs next season, and in January I would've probably agreed, but Mumba has struggled for game time at Peterborough in a poor side, despite looking very promising when he has featured for us. Is there a reason why he has gone from being a regular starter in his first few games at Peterborough to suddenly being an unused sub most games?

Screenshot_20220422-111352.png

The key here is to look at his played position, he's been moved about all over the place and that looks to me like he's been used as versatile cover rather than being given the chance to play in a regular position. I like Mumba but he's not as well rounded as Max was around the same age, but he's shown enough promise to be given a chance IMO.

I would imagine Sam will be back-up unless Dimi goes in which case we'd need to sign another LB as cover anyway so it could go either way. Seems like another Raggett signing but we've probably still made a profit overall on loan fees. 

Time will tell what Smith has on mind.

With Kabak leaving, Andy O struggling for fitness I wonder if Smith will go for someone who can play across a back 4. Sorensen is that but at some point he's going to have to play in his preferred position.

15 minutes ago, AJ said:

The key here is to look at his played position, he's been moved about all over the place and that looks to me like he's been used as versatile cover rather than being given the chance to play in a regular position. I like Mumba but he's not as well rounded as Max was around the same age, but he's shown enough promise to be given a chance IMO.

I would imagine Sam will be back-up unless Dimi goes in which case we'd need to sign another LB as cover anyway so it could go either way. Seems like another Raggett signing but we've probably still made a profit overall on loan fees. 

Highly unlikey we've made a profit on McCallum- the reported total fee after add ons was over £3m and while I'm sure the actual total we've paid so far isn't that high I'm sure it'll easily be 7 figures.