Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Sam McCallum, how has he looked out on loan?

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I'd have Bong as backup to Byram over Mumba.

Personally I’d have bong on a Friday or Saturday night with a few friends, but I may have misunderstood. 🧐

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

So injury prone he played over 40 times last season.

Absolute horse ****.

16 this season, two separate injuries, 25 games missed.

40 last season, 9 games missed.

25 the season before last, because of injuries, 21 games missed.

He's a young man, should be at peak fitness with fast recovery. Given how long it takes to get back up to speed after injury, he's not a reliable option. Even as a back up, you don't know if he'll be fit.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

16 this season, two separate injuries, 25 games missed.

40 last season, 9 games missed.

25 the season before last, because of injuries, 21 games missed.

He's a young man, should be at peak fitness with fast recovery. Given how long it takes to get back up to speed after injury, he's not a reliable option. Even as a back up, you don't know if he'll be fit.

Happy to be corrected but I can't see any evidence for your claim he missed all those games due to injury. Searches just bring up his qpr injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chichcan said:

Voted their young player of the year 👍

Which is surprising as he's only played in 15 league games. Must be an old squad.

25 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Which is surprising as he's only played in 15 league games. Must be an old squad.

Or alternatively he's been very good in the games that he's played. 

On 22/04/2022 at 12:35, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Lots of people are saying that we'll be fine with Byram and Mumba as right backs next season, and in January I would've probably agreed, but Mumba has struggled for game time at Peterborough in a poor side, despite looking very promising when he has featured for us. Is there a reason why he has gone from being a regular starter in his first few games at Peterborough to suddenly being an unused sub most games?

Screenshot_20220422-111352.png

Yep 100%

If we sell Aarons WE WILL SIGN another right back. Mumba will probably go out on a season long loan to league one level.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Or alternatively he's been very good in the games that he's played. 

I think there was a time this season where he was playing second fiddle to Lee Wallace so I'd say he's not been that good.

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

I think there was a time this season where he was playing second fiddle to Lee Wallace so I'd say he's not been that good.

When was that? 

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

When was that? 

As I recall when he came back from injury the manager said that he would have to "earn his place back - nothing would be given on a plate" or something to that effect.

He seems to have done so.

58 minutes ago, Badger said:

As I recall when he came back from injury the manager said that he would have to "earn his place back - nothing would be given on a plate" or something to that effect.

He seems to have done so.

I was going to say. Up until the injury he was first choice for sure and now again once they have gone back to using fullbacks.

I remember making this point at the start of our last championship season, when people weren't sure about loaning him out then. At his current age he is so far off his prime years it'd be crazy to give up on him just yet. We signed him when he burst into senior football and based off a small sample size it seemed he had the potential to go on to great things. Now if he did that then we would merely be a stepping stone. Only need to look at Harry Toffolo playing very well for a side at the top end of the championship at the minute. He's 26, he didn't leave us until he was around 23 and there is probably a decent argument he could have been given a shot (Lewis was better, and younger). The point is that in McCallum we could have a very good player for our level in 3/4 years, better off to keep him around than write off immediately.

On 22/04/2022 at 12:35, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Lots of people are saying that we'll be fine with Byram and Mumba as right backs next season, and in January I would've probably agreed, but Mumba has struggled for game time at Peterborough in a poor side, despite looking very promising when he has featured for us. Is there a reason why he has gone from being a regular starter in his first few games at Peterborough to suddenly being an unused sub most games?

Screenshot_20220422-111352.png

Ferguson quit and he went from a starter to a sub. Was in the middle of February after the Preston game.

Edit: was after Derby.

Edited by Grant Holts Moustache

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Ferguson quit and he went from a starter to a sub. Was in the middle of February after the Preston game.

Edit: was after Derby.

Fair explanation; I had forgotten about that. 

There's still the question to be asked of why McCann doesn't fancy him, but hopefully it's just a case of McCann not rating him rather than any more general issue.

Mumba made a few appearances for us in the Championship last season and looked quite promising. Byram also only has one year left, and so there’s a possibility Mumba might become first choice next season