Sign in to follow this  
YellowCanary

John Deehan

Just been reading that John has been battling Dementia for 6 years and now another footballer falls to this dreadful disease,thoughts are with his family,one of my favourite players and a great servant to the club in his days here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VEry sad news. Remember him making his debut in a behind closed doors friendly against Ipswich at Yarmouth and Scoring 4 times. Unfortunately age Is no barrier to this horrible disease .

Just read this and it is awful news. All the best to John and his family.

So sad. Best wishes to John and his family. 

Did I imagine it or did he play in a friendly at carrow road long after he'd retired. Around the time he was manager. Gunns testimonial? 

Such awful heartbreaking news and my thoughts are with John and those taking care of him.

Deehan was always severely underrated by many Yellows. Some of this was was because he willingly stepped into Walkers shoes after the latter resigned and a section of fans regarded him as a 'Chase stooge'. The other reason (of course) was that he had the audacity to join ITFC in the swop deal with Trevor Putney!

If those Yellows could lose that blinkered view, they would acknowledge an outstanding player who from the very first time I saw him, played with 'his head up' thus giving himself more time on the ball than your average bustling striker. His movement and awareness were on a par with Pukki and he was vastly superior in the air (not difficult of course!). His goal stats are not at Pukki's level who was / is (arguably) a more 'natural' goalscorer.  Not only was Deehan a top class footballer but his much recognised coaching skills in his partnership with Walker in that glorious season and a half, set him right up there as a true NCFC 'legend'.     

So sad to hear of his struggles against that terrible illness.

• Like 2

He’s of no age and football is to blame.

It’s been known for many years that professional footballers are much more at risk of developing dementia than ordinary folk. 
Professional football tried to cover it up and delayed research findings. A levy on professional players wagers to help those effected, was proposed and the players were very positive, but the FA blocked it, frightened it could ‘ harm the game’ ( income), if heading the ball was a main contributor to player’s developing dementia and it was restricted.

Sadly John Deehan is not the only Norwich  player effected and players who played against him. 

This is really sad news, John was manager of Norwich when I went to my first ever game. Wishing him and his family well.

22 hours ago, raunds canary said:

Very sad news. Remember him making his debut in a behind closed doors friendly against Ipswich at Yarmouth and Scoring 4 times. Unfortunately age Is no barrier to this horrible disease .

I was an insurance rep covering half of Norfolk, including Great Yarmouth in those days.

I was in Yarmouth, driving past a local park when I noticed two teams playing in Norwich & Ipswich strips one weekday morning early in 1981. I stopped to take a look & realised it was Norwich & Ipswich. The weather across the whole country had been so bad that winter that hardly any professional football had been played anywhere for 6 weeks or so. The Norfolk coast was one of the first areas to thaw & a friendly was quickly arranged to get both sets of players in shape. 

As raunds canary said, Deehan had his first game for us & scored 4. I believe the final score was 5 - 0. Sounds familiar? It was very surreal watching two top teams playing each other on a local park!

John turned out to be one of the finest players I can recall in 43 years as a supporter. My best memory of him was scoring the winner in a 1-0 win over European Champions Liverpool, at Carrow Road. I had got tickets for a non-football fan employee from our office who wanted to treat his 8 or 9 year old football mad Liverpool supporting son to his first live match. The little lad was in tears at the end & to try & cheer him up I suggested we stay behind at the end as the TV MOTD interviews were done just in front of where we were sitting in the old South Stand. I had guessed correctly that Deehan would be interviewed. At the end of his interview I suggested that we got his autograph & explained to John how his goal had ruined the little boys day. He then spent a couple of minutes talking to him & turned his day into one to remember & into an instant Norwich fan! I kept in touch with his father for the next 20 years or so who confirmed that his son was City through & through!

So I would like to sent my very best wishes to John & his family in what is obviously a very difficult time for all of them.    

• Like 2

My mates from Watford will remember him as the player who always enjoyed scoring against them

Very sad to read, and he is such a young age. I remember Dixie very well, and has always been one of my favourite players. So sorry for him and his family

On 01/04/2022 at 16:14, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

I was an insurance rep covering half of Norfolk, including Great Yarmouth in those days.

I was in Yarmouth, driving past a local park when I noticed two teams playing in Norwich & Ipswich strips one weekday morning early in 1981. I stopped to take a look & realised it was Norwich & Ipswich. The weather across the whole country had been so bad that winter that hardly any professional football had been played anywhere for 6 weeks or so. The Norfolk coast was one of the first areas to thaw & a friendly was quickly arranged to get both sets of players in shape. 

As raunds canary said, Deehan had his first game for us & scored 4. I believe the final score was 5 - 0. Sounds familiar? It was very surreal watching two top teams playing each other on a local park!

John turned out to be one of the finest players I can recall in 43 years as a supporter. My best memory of him was scoring the winner in a 1-0 win over European Champions Liverpool, at Carrow Road. I had got tickets for a non-football fan employee from our office who wanted to treat his 8 or 9 year old football mad Liverpool supporting son to his first live match. The little lad was in tears at the end & to try & cheer him up I suggested we stay behind at the end as the TV MOTD interviews were done just in front of where we were sitting in the old South Stand. I had guessed correctly that Deehan would be interviewed. At the end of his interview I suggested that we got his autograph & explained to John how his goal had ruined the little boys day. He then spent a couple of minutes talking to him & turned his day into one to remember & into an instant Norwich fan! I kept in touch with his father for the next 20 years or so who confirmed that his son was City through & through!

So I would like to sent my very best wishes to John & his family in what is obviously a very difficult time for all of them.    

Thanks for that mate very insightful. I well remember him scoring against Liverpool in the last minute . A very scuffed shot in the last minute when they were top and we were bottom. Used to stand in the Barclay . My brother was a big Liverpool fan so stood in their section and my dad who did the driving from Essex used to sit half way up the south stand on the half way line. Deehan and bertschin were all hard work and graft. Add in Mick channon and ASA Hartford and there was certainly a lot of experience. Those were the days ...

21 hours ago, raunds canary said:

Thanks for that mate very insightful. I well remember him scoring against Liverpool in the last minute . A very scuffed shot in the last minute when they were top and we were bottom. Used to stand in the Barclay . My brother was a big Liverpool fan so stood in their section and my dad who did the driving from Essex used to sit half way up the south stand on the half way line. Deehan and bertschin were all hard work and graft. Add in Mick channon and ASA Hartford and there was certainly a lot of experience. Those were the days ...

What a small world!

My regular seat from my time in Norwich (79 to 83) was in the South Stand, on the halfway line, four rows from the front.

Agree that Deehan & Bertschin were all hard work & graft but must add that John was also extremely skilful. Could gather & control the ball cleanly & quickly, hold it if necessary & distribute it on accurately as well as put it in the opposition net quite often! Much like another City player of the time, Martin O'Neill. 

What we would give to have a couple of players like that in todays team.......

Edited by Cornwall Canaryfan

Such sad news.

The most underrated player in NCFC history. He makes my all time best XI from my time as a supporter (42 years).