Sign in to follow this  
Channon’s Windmill

Haven’t missed it one bit.

At the risk of ridicule, which is no risk at all, I can only admire the Zen-like acceptance that all of us observe from any crowd streaming away fro CR, even after ignominious defeat. There are still smiles aplenty, almost always from the good old boys who have seen it a hundred times before. The quips and jokes and graveyard humour, they are all signs of the enlightenment that comes with experience. 

In Buddhism, happiness is achieved when a person can perceive the true nature of reality, unmodified by the mental constructs we superimpose upon it. This authentic happiness comes from having an exceptionally healthy state of mind that underlies and suffuses all emotional states and that embraces all the joys and sorrows that come one's way. The mental states necessary for authentic happiness are not simply found or happened upon. Rather, happiness is achieved through mental training that purges the mind of afflictive emotions, such as hatred and compulsive desire, which literally poison the mind, and above all through the eradication of ignorance. 

Enlightenment is to enjoy watching football because we enjoy watching football. Misery is a Tottenham / Sunderland / Arsenal fan with a Piers Morgan attitude.

Edited by Pugin
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AJ said:

It's been nice not to have to go into work and have the pyss taken out of me by the non Norwich supporting staff for a few days...

Totally agree.

I think the experience of supporting Norwich through a season like this also changes depending on where you live. If you're based in or around Norwich then you've probably got lots of fellow fans to commiserate and make jokes with about how crap it all is. As someone who lives in Hertfordshire and works in London it is rubbish being the only Norwich fan and therefore being the butt of all the jokes made by the Man U/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/Liverpool fans who populate the office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Totally agree.

I think the experience of supporting Norwich through a season like this also changes depending on where you live. If you're based in or around Norwich then you've probably got lots of fellow fans to commiserate and make jokes with about how crap it all is. As someone who lives in Hertfordshire and works in London it is rubbish being the only Norwich fan and therefore being the butt of all the jokes made by the Man U/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/Liverpool fans who populate the office.

A lot of my colleagues are actually Derby fans, so it's not been quite so bad this time around! 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Totally agree.

Depends where you work I guess.  Here in the steel city, there would usually be an initial quip about losing again but it soon turns to how we were done by poor refereeing decisions and how the clubs with money always seem to get the rub of the green etc.  The feeling that the big clubs have it too cosy is felt very strongly in Sheffield, despite both clubs having owners from supposedly loaded backgrounds. The respective owners have both been cut off from the families wealth and have as little cash as Smith & Jones to invest.  Supporters from both halves of the City feel our pain and share the same gallows humour.  

• Like 1

Agree with the OP, the last 2 weekends were superb and I was genuinely gutted Monday when someone mentioned the Brighton game on Saturday 😂

Edited by Ken Hairy

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Depends where you work I guess.  Here in the steel city, there would usually be an initial quip about losing again but it soon turns to how we were done by poor refereeing decisions and how the clubs with money always seem to get the rub of the green etc.  The feeling that the big clubs have it too cosy is felt very strongly in Sheffield, despite both clubs having owners from supposedly loaded backgrounds. The respective owners have both been cut off from the families wealth and have as little cash as Smith & Jones to invest.  Supporters from both halves of the City feel our pain and share the same gallows humour.  

Yeah I think the perils of working in London is I'm surrounded by fans of the 'big six' often who have never been anywhere near their teams stadium.

I suffered from a lot of teasing from glory hunters at my school during my childhood. I've found it very hard to follow us this season but it's not going to stop me supporting us next season though

On 28/03/2022 at 15:54, Fiery Zac said:

This season has been horrible, no question. Worst as a City fan, probably. A struggle to muster the enthusiasm to actually go to games, frequent. Debated whether to renew my ST for the first time, unfortunately so.

However when it came to it, I did renew and I was always going to. The reason why was very simple. The thrill and enjoyment of the whole day, and the potential of the joy that will unfold, in the game and the progressing season.

I remember thinking things couldn't get worse when walking back to my car, in the rain, after watching us lose to Reading to virtually relegate us to League 1 in 2009. It was, at the time, the lowest point I'd had as a City fan and is a moment I have thought about recently as the feelings are very similar.

But then I think what the following decade had to offer. It doesn't need me to point out all the highs now but just to say 'Simeon Jackson', '1-5', 'Holt at Anfield', 'Wembley', 'Klose vs binners' 'Millwall', 'Forest', 'Man City' or 'Buendia vs Bristol', they all simply make me smile and instantly reassures me that renewing is the right thing to do, that I can't wait to go again and see what may happen, and look forward to the next moment like those that we've been blessed to have plenty of in the last decade and beyond.

I also vividly remember debating whether to go to a particular game a few years ago. We were severely hampered by injuries across the squad and therfore were expected to roll over and just try keep the scoreline repectable. I was tired and had to work later that day so really couldn't be bothered to just go and watch us lose to one of the bankrolled elite.... Obviously that game was Man City and turned out to be one of the best moments of my life, and is why I never miss a game if I can avoid it as you never know what may happen at a football match.

So yes, I've missed the day out and look forward to each and every game (even if I hold less and less hope of actually getting a result).

What a wonderful post. Thanks so much for writing that.

• Thanks 1

My relationship with Norwich ebbs and flows so I understand the OP topic.

I hope I am wrong but it has an end of era feelings at the moment. It has been a hell of ride since someone was throwing season tickets at Bryan Gunn. There have not been too many duff seasons since then bad ones have been followed by good  ones. Let’s hope it carries on because the tedium of championship grind experienced from 95 to Worthington really was set compared to what has been served up recently.

On 29/03/2022 at 10:24, AJ said:

A lot of my colleagues are actually Derby fans, so it's not been quite so bad this time around! 😬

Are you near Derby AJ? I live near Long Eaton, so it’s 50/50 Derby Forest round here. Until this season, neither were a problem. 🤣

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you near Derby AJ? I live near Long Eaton, so it’s 50/50 Derby Forest round here. Until this season, neither were a problem. 🤣

I'm actually in Norfolk but work for a company based that way. Top of the champ looking quite tight between a few teams from that area with 6 points between 3rd and 10th so the office banter is usually quite good. There was belief that Derby might pull it off as well, that's starting to fade a bit now

• Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 11:54, Fiery Zac said:

This season has been horrible, no question. Worst as a City fan, probably. A struggle to muster the enthusiasm to actually go to games, frequent. Debated whether to renew my ST for the first time, unfortunately so.

However when it came to it, I did renew and I was always going to. The reason why was very simple. The thrill and enjoyment of the whole day, and the potential of the joy that will unfold, in the game and the progressing season.

I remember thinking things couldn't get worse when walking back to my car, in the rain, after watching us lose to Reading to virtually relegate us to League 1 in 2009. It was, at the time, the lowest point I'd had as a City fan and is a moment I have thought about recently as the feelings are very similar.

But then I think what the following decade had to offer. It doesn't need me to point out all the highs now but just to say 'Simeon Jackson', '1-5', 'Holt at Anfield', 'Wembley', 'Klose vs binners' 'Millwall', 'Forest', 'Man City' or 'Buendia vs Bristol', they all simply make me smile and instantly reassures me that renewing is the right thing to do, that I can't wait to go again and see what may happen, and look forward to the next moment like those that we've been blessed to have plenty of in the last decade and beyond.

I also vividly remember debating whether to go to a particular game a few years ago. We were severely hampered by injuries across the squad and therfore were expected to roll over and just try keep the scoreline repectable. I was tired and had to work later that day so really couldn't be bothered to just go and watch us lose to one of the bankrolled elite.... Obviously that game was Man City and turned out to be one of the best moments of my life, and is why I never miss a game if I can avoid it as you never know what may happen at a football match.

So yes, I've missed the day out and look forward to each and every game (even if I hold less and less hope of actually getting a result).

Excellent 📫 post. Roll on Saturday  .

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

On 28/03/2022 at 15:54, Fiery Zac said:

Nicely put. I'd summarise that with the German proverb "die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt" (hope dies last).

On 28/03/2022 at 13:02, Channon’s Windmill said:

Normally I hate international breaks and really miss watching City play. I can honestly say for the first time in 45 years of supporting Norwich, it’s not been the case this time around. It’s been a relief not having to witness another sorry performance and yet another defeat.  I’ve enjoyed the sunshine, the outdoors and family time and felt far happier for it.  Like others have mentioned before the love of football and perhaps (I never ever thought I would say this) NCFC is dwindling. 

Feel exactly the same been city fan since 1969  usually miss  city playing and look forward to next game but can’t raise enthusiasm for this this team or season at the moment 

So will be 30, that’s thirty days without a home game, has there  ever been a gap that big ? I remember in the 60’s we were ages without playing due to snow etc.

1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

So will be 30, that’s thirty days without a home game, has there  ever been a gap that big ? I remember in the 60’s we were ages without playing due to snow etc.

Well, Covid lockdowns aside, what I can say is here in Sheffield the Blades went 56 days without a home game recently over Xmas and the New Year (28th Nov to 22 Jan).  It meant my Blades supporting mates were in a very strange place indeed by the third week in January (but what else is new I hear you say in unison).  🤣🤣

On 28/03/2022 at 13:02, Channon’s Windmill said:

Normally I hate international breaks and really miss watching City play. I can honestly say for the first time in 45 years of supporting Norwich, it’s not been the case this time around. It’s been a relief not having to witness another sorry performance and yet another defeat.  I’ve enjoyed the sunshine, the outdoors and family time and felt far happier for it.  Like others have mentioned before the love of football and perhaps (I never ever thought I would say this) NCFC is dwindling. 

I totally agree and realise where you are coming from. Not once have I had to wake up on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday knowing we are going to loose and when it happens once the break is over, I will simply see it as the countdown towards ending this miserable season.

Lately it’s been pure stress-free and the past few weekends have been really chill.

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

I totally agree and realise where you are coming from. Not once have I had to wake up on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday knowing we are going to loose and when it happens once the break is over, I will simply see it as the countdown towards ending this miserable season.

Lately it’s been pure stress-free and the past few weekends have been really chill.

Don't know if you mean it's been stress-free as we've been doomed for what seems like forever or because we haven't played ?

Even Lazarus would be struggling to get us out of this one and it's been a massive deflating experience all round.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Don't know if you mean it's been stress-free as we've been doomed for what seems like forever or because we haven't played ?

Even Lazarus would be struggling to get us out of this one and it's been a massive deflating experience all round.

That we haven’t played, every time we do, it’s stressful as f*ck.

On 29/03/2022 at 03:30, Pugin said:

At the risk of ridicule, which is no risk at all, I can only admire the Zen-like acceptance that all of us observe from any crowd streaming away fro CR, even after ignominious defeat. There are still smiles aplenty, almost always from the good old boys who have seen it a hundred times before. The quips and jokes and graveyard humour, they are all signs of the enlightenment that comes with experience. 

In Buddhism, happiness is achieved when a person can perceive the true nature of reality, unmodified by the mental constructs we superimpose upon it. This authentic happiness comes from having an exceptionally healthy state of mind that underlies and suffuses all emotional states and that embraces all the joys and sorrows that come one's way. The mental states necessary for authentic happiness are not simply found or happened upon. Rather, happiness is achieved through mental training that purges the mind of afflictive emotions, such as hatred and compulsive desire, which literally poison the mind, and above all through the eradication of ignorance. 

Enlightenment is to enjoy watching football because we enjoy watching football. Misery is a Tottenham / Sunderland / Arsenal fan with a Piers Morgan attitude.

Not nearly enough Buddhism on this board. Enjoyed that a lot.

• Like 1